Avatar Hamelin Question #2: Blight Counters and Malifaux Rats

Sandwich

Question

Hamelin's Mark of Contagion:All Malifaux Rats entering play gain one Blight Counter.

Rule Book's Blight Tokens: Whenever a model with one or more Blight Token suffers Wds, it suffer 1 additional Wd.

Malifaux Rat's (0)Writhing Mass: This model suffers 1 Wd. Move this model into base contact with another friendly Malifaux Rat within 5".

Hamelin's (1)Frenzied Piping: :aura 10. Friendly Vermin may inflict 1 Wd on themselves when inflicting damage on a model with a melee attack to increase the Dg inflicted by +1.

Additional Statements: By introducing Mark of Contagion, you are RaW unable to take the option of using either of the mentioned abilities with your Malifaux Rats.

- Malifaux Rats only have 2 Wd.

Question:

Was this intended?

Edited by Sandwich

24 answers to this question

Actualy, I'll take credit for it here --

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24040

but one interpration would be that you can use it, as the ability does one wound to the rat, (not killing it) it is only when it takes that wound that the rat takes an aditional wound from the blight token.

But this would make the rats mad crazy good as well, as they could recycle indefinetly as long as they continue to hit there target, not that difficult with there (0) :+fate action

Isn't the 'can't kill yourself' rule basically saying you can't take any action that would definitely result in your death?

If so, a rat couldn't use the ability that would do 1 Wd to it because it would guarantee to kill the rat, as it really does 2 Wd.

I guess it depends on whether you have to consider effects outside the ability you're using when taking it into account.

Isn't the 'can't kill yourself' rule basically saying you can't take any action that would definitely result in your death?

If so, a rat couldn't use the ability that would do 1 Wd to it because it would guarantee to kill the rat, as it really does 2 Wd.

I guess it depends on whether you have to consider effects outside the ability you're using when taking it into account.

Exactly.

You cannot take an action that would kill the model. Unless it was caused by Dg NOT Wd.

See Papa Loco's "Take Ya With Me!"

Since all those stupid blight counters and rat tactics cause Wd not Dg, you cannot use those extra actions.

Which is an error on Wyrd's part...

There's too much mixing of the two =P

Actualy, I'll take credit for it here --

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24040

but one interpration would be that you can use it, as the ability does one wound to the rat, (not killing it) it is only when it takes that wound that the rat takes an aditional wound from the blight token.

But this would make the rats mad crazy good as well, as they could recycle indefinetly as long as they continue to hit there target, not that difficult with there (0) :+fate action

Well, I'm on the edge of the wall, leaning more towards you can't.

Aside from that, even if you could, a Blight Token states that as soon as you suffer a Wd, you suffer an additional one, which would simply kill the rat before any action could be taken anyway.

Well, I'm on the edge of the wall, leaning more towards you can't.

Aside from that, even if you could, a Blight Token states that as soon as you suffer a Wd, you suffer an additional one, which would simply kill the rat before any action could be taken anyway.

Well that wouldn't matter for the purposes of Frenzied Piping, because the Wd is inflicted when it is inflicting damage to a model, not before it takes an actions - so the effect would actually be that the Rat is killed to inflict additional damage...

I think it can actually use this - the rules manual says that a model cannot use a talent or spell that inflicts Wds on itself if it would reduce its own wounds to 0. In this case the talent would not be reducing the model's Wounds to 0, the effect from the Blight Token would...

In a similar vein, a model on 1 wound is allowed to attack (melee spell since an standard melee attack isn't a talent or spell) Kaeris / Fire Gamin, even though you know that burning armor / blood will kill the model by inflicting its last wound - it will happen as a result of the attack, but the model did not directly inflict wounds on itself...

I guess they're so out of luck as far as Writing Mass goes though...