Molly Fox?

Cambrius

Silliness involving politics aside. Here's my view on things: each faction is all over the map, for example, in the outcasts, we have the Viks, who are but a single event away from being the heroic fantasy character archetype, and Leveticus, a steampunk necromancer, someone widely considered incredibly evil.

A better choice would be The Guild, who have the Death Judges, an in-arguably good force, then there's the rest of The Guild, who are a bunch of dirt-bags, at best.

Some portions of the Neverborn are jerks, look at the ones who attacked Viktoria, inevitably giving her a Doppelganger, and then there's Lilith, the leader of the Neverborn, who is just trying to get rid of these human invaders, but she's also willing to work with them if it means keeping the Tyrants down.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, was there ever a thread on the etymology of the word "Malifaux"? It basically means "evil" or "bad" (or various derivations) plus "false" in French. False Evil? Hrm.

I have friends, or actually, my mother has friends:

Well, "malifaux" contains two obvious French words, "mal" and "faux",

so "evil" and "false". However, the word does not seem to exist

in standard dictionaries of old French.

On the other hand, a bit of Googling revealed the existence of the

French village of Saint-Genest-Malifaux. There is no solid

evidence for the origin of Malifaux

(http://www.st-genest-malifaux.fr/vill33.htm), though there have

been a lot of guesses, interpreting it as the "bad pass" (in the

geographical sense) or the "fake beech".

Now, there are old French words where "mal" does stand for "evil",

such as "malivole" or "malevole", which are the French equivalent

of the English Latinate form "malevolent". On the other hand,

the same root can stand for "apple", so "malifaux" could even

refer to some sort of "apple scythe"...

My best guess is that some anglophone either coined "malifaux" from

the obvious French words "mal" and "faux", or came across that small

French village on a jaunt and decided to borrow "Malifaux" as an

appropriate term for a dark and foreboding RPG, whatever its true etymological meaning.

I am suspicious that "fake beech" should have been "fake breach", but that's one heck of a typo.

Hardly stole dear Chap... we more or less popped all the reprobates there and then just handed it to you... We had more soldiers defending our dear King George's karzie than we had deployed your side of the pond.

Well hate to say it but when England sent its Navy to New York to retake it in July of 1776 lead by Howe it was the largest fleet to invade a territory during that time period. So I would Hardly say the King gave it up. (Too much revenue in textiles for him to want to give it up.)

But yes there were some in Parliament that thought fighting the Colonies and defending England against the French was unnecessary, but the King did have a bit of Pride.

History lesson over.

Malifaux as I see it means the illusion of evil.(Well more Malice than evil I believe, but let's see what else comes up.) Of course my French is nonexistent now and I am looking at it by a Prefix-Suffix manner in which the word Faux would change just slightly.

Interesting there is a region with Malifaux in it and it would be interesting to see what the etymology of the name for it is.

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

As for why the Canadians are cranky...well have you seen Canada? if that isnt a reason to be a depressed I have trouble thinking of a better one.

Canadians aren't any crankier than anyone else, probably less so if popular perspective is any measure. Being from Canada I can say with confidence that I can think of many places more depressing, like eastern Oregon. :P

Although one of the reasons I love living in our shared hometown of PDX, DA, is because of how much it reminds me of British Columbia. ;)

Back to The Molly in a bathing suit thing... doesn't she have a gaping chest wound..? So... wouldn't it be inadvisable to put her in a bathing suit? *shudders*
Not if it was a one-piece...

Also:

Sofia Vergara as Perdita, Scarlett Johansson as Justice, Summer Glau as Sonnia, Daniel Craig as Samael, Adam Baldwin as the Judge? (Since we're going that route.)

I hope you also explained to him about the strange foreign country called "France" where they use letters and words a little bit differently?

Actually, was there ever a thread on the etymology of the word "Malifaux"? It basically means "evil" or "bad" (or various derivations) plus "false" in French. False Evil? Hrm.

There was a thread about it... Can't find the link right now. But IIRC it is a bit of conjecture of other roots (it's always about roots in IE languages anyway) actually. Mali a bit like in malediction, or malefic perhaps. Thinking in terms of national languages is actually a bit narrow approach to problems like that, because many of the roots we use are older than that.

In Google Maps you'll find St Genest Malifaux so the word isn't exactly fictional either.

Edited by Q'iq'el

hmmm... What about Charlize Theron as Justice.... and... Demi Moore as Sonnia..?

Charlize (while still far short of being cougarific) would be acceptable for Sonnia, but I still think Scarlett Johansson for Justice.

I never really liked Demi Moore, and I can't see her doing something this awesome-but-probably-low-paying.

Summer Glau would have to be in it somewhere. Can't spell 'awesome' without 'River Tam.' (Please don't ask me where that makes sense, it sounded good at the time.)

/thread hijack