Sonnia Avatar question

knoerzer

Hey guys. I just got done playing a game against my dad (I won) but I dont know if I played by the right rules due to not fully understanding them. I got my Avatar of Sonnia in the 3rd round, but did not do anything with her because the table on the card said (2) so I figured it took two actions to bring her in. I had completed 1 requirement by the way, the Inferno x2. My question is: Is this right/ can I do this?

Just wondering, because I kept Sonnia in the starting zone and cast Inferno 1st and 2nd round, and then used Lucius to bring up the avatar into the middle of the field. I just want to play fair and by the rules and want to learn so any help would be great! Thanks guys

Okay I thought I could but I was in the far corner when I became the avatar and had nobody within range of her. But this brings up another question how do you play her, I was looking at her and noticed burning tokens where important, but whats her strategy? Any help would be awesome, or a direction where this was already talked about.

Nope Im afraid its one or the other,if you cast inferno you cant use arcane knowledge. Sonnia may only use one of her (0) per activation.

When you activate Sonnia under normal conditions you have 2 general AP (Action Points) which may be use for movement, strikes casting etc. 1 Casting expert that may only be used to cast a spell and finally she may also do one (0) action, but only one (0)action per activation.

I've played her a couple of times and she's a lot of fun. Only issue I've found with hitting the inferno manifesting requirement is that many times I want to use my (0) action on turn 2 to give me the +1 CA w/tome to burn things to the ground and not cast inferno again (unless I already had some high tomes in my hand from lucky draws).

I certainly do miss her sword in Avatar form.. it's very nice to be able to strip multiple cards from your opponent's hand while also healing, drawing cards yourself, and preventing models from casting spells. This, of course, is if you're not playing against something that hits exceptionally hard like Mature Nephilim where you don't want to be anywhere you might be hit yourself.

In Avatar form, what I've found myself doing is putting out pyres, moving them onto people, and doing the pulse damage.

Also bear in mind that you can,if you have the cards for it and enemies close together,do the inferno two times,and get a flame burst off with severe damage and hit models with the blast radius. Alternately if you can do it,using the inferno's damage portion to help get the 10 damage required.

What i think would be hilarious,is having the situation where if you fulfill the requirements you automatically summoned the avatar,and then using the second inferno right before sonnia was going to die. Sonnia dies,the inferno action explodes causing the required 10 damage. by the rules,the avatar is immediately summoned because its late enough in the game that the requirements are met,and as part of the summoning it can discard a soulstone to do a healing flip,thus surviving Since that summoning interrupts whatever the model is doing at the time to complete the requirements.

Thats the sort of thing that would be near impossible to pull off,but damn if it wouldnt be hilarious to see the expression on your opponents face.

Hamelin's avatar is strong, but I agree with Nix, by the time you can manifest him a good chunk of the opposing crew can't attack basic Hamlin because you've made at least 3 of them insignificant. Do you really think giving up the advantage you've already built up for Hamlin's defense is worth his avatar? I share his opinion that by the time you've gotten the requirements ment to manifest you are most likely already winning the game with Master Hamlin,...so why go Avatar?

• 2 weeks later...
I have a friend who wants to play Hamlin, can you guys tell me how he is?

Hahaha

Ask Sandwich.

I've found that he's easier to deal with in Avatar form, as odd as that may seem.

Throwing his Insignificant spell around is downright, teeth-grinding-ly annoying.

Basically he denies Masters their counters and makes people insignificant.

When they are insignificant, they cannot target him.

I do not have book 3 with me as my LGS doesn't have it, and I am not ever going to Gencon.

Soooo, I don't know if they changed it....but that's how it was before.