Blasts and ignoring them (Bearskin Armor)

Alviaran

Question

Can't find anything on this, so I was curious on the interaction.

Bearskin Armor: This model may choose to ignore damage

infliced by pulses, auras, and blasts.

(Also, that is a direct copy paste with adjustment for the p, a and b from the V2 stat card. Yes, that typo is on the card)

The question came up when we were playing with Rasputina vs Criid tonight. Flame Burst causes blasts on moderate and severe damage. If I manage to hit Rasputina with the spell (she loses the resist duel), can she ignore the damage if I flip moderate or severe?

I guess the question comes down to whether the initial damage is considered to be coming from the blast marker I have just placed on the target? Or does she take the normal damage and the blasts do not ever affect an initial target of a spellcast?

9 answers to this question

The initial damage is still the initial damage, just because it generates blasts it does not mean she can ignore them as she was the intended target. the blasts are collateral damage and only affects everyone who was not the initial target.

from the Rules Manual pg 46:

Any model, other than the initial target, touched by one or more :blast suffers damage one severity lower than what was inflicted on the target. Any additional effects suffered by the target, such as the effects of Triggers, are not suffered by the other models touched by the :blast unless specifically stated otherwise.

Since she's the initial target, she's not suffering :blast damage. she's just suffering damage.

To support and extrapolate on Wolfgar's post above

:blast :blast just means 2 :blast templates are placed (50mm bases that for the most part must be touching the original target and each other) so being immune to :blast damage means that you ignore it no matter how many :blasts are placed (though a model only suffers blast damage once from the attack regardless of how many templates end up touching there base)

Edited by Omenbringer

:blast :blast just means 2 :blast templates are placed (50mm bases that for the most part must be touching the original target and each other)

Just wanted to clarify that only the first blast template needs to touch the original target's base. The second one only needs to touch the first. You can string them out in a line away from the target if you wish.