Obey,Terrifying, and Board Edge.

Fading Memory

Question

This is a what if I came up with last night.

Obey and similar spells have the clause "The Action selected may not cause the model to be killed or sacrificed as part of the Action."

If Zoraida Obeys an enemy model that is along the board edge and in range of a terrifying model it would have to pass a moral duel, if it looses it would fall back, but because it is on the board edge, it would be sacrificed.

As the sacrificing is not part of the models own spell, ability, or attack, this totally seems plausible. And in that case, it seems very beneficial to cheat down to make sure the model runs off the board.

Would this work? Or does the terrifying rule become a part of the action, and therefore Obey type spells can never target a model in this situation as it may cause the model to be sacrificed.

16 answers to this question

If you really want to abuse this combo all you require is a model susceptible to Terrifying who is on a board edge, and a Terrifying model in the target model's LoS. You have to take a Terrifying check under certain conditions, one of which is if you attempt to charge a Terrifying model. There is no requirement for how close a model is to attempt to charge it, only that you can see it. So, Obey your model, target the Terrifying model in LoS, Declare a charge, Take the Terrifying test, cheat the duel down so you intensionally fail, fall back, be destroyed because you are falling back while in base contact with the board edge.

If you could draw a diagram I think that would help me, what you are describing is not how it would work.

<=M--->T

A model (M) moving toward a Terrifying model T would fall back directly way from T and not off the board. It would have to be set up like

M

T

for the model to be saced. Unless I am missing something.

If you could draw a diagram I think that would help me, what you are describing is not how it would work.

<=M--->T

A model (M) moving toward a Terrifying model T would fall back directly way from T and not off the board. It would have to be set up like

M

T

for the model to be saced. Unless I am missing something.

You are missing something. Page 57 of the Rules Manual:

A model making a falling back move immediately moves double it's Wk toward the closest table edge using the most direct route possible.

This is a what if I came up with last night.

Obey and similar spells have the clause "The Action selected may not cause the model to be killed or sacrificed as part of the Action."

If Zoraida Obeys an enemy model that is along the board edge and in range of a terrifying model it would have to pass a moral duel, if it looses it would fall back, but because it is on the board edge, it would be sacrificed.

As the sacrificing is not part of the models own spell, ability, or attack, this totally seems plausible. And in that case, it seems very beneficial to cheat down to make sure the model runs off the board.

Would this work? Or does the terrifying rule become a part of the action, and therefore Obey type spells can never target a model in this situation as it may cause the model to be sacrificed.

Nice.

I have a related rules question. If a model is obeyed to charge Ashes and Dust, it is either out of range or fails to do damage to the ashes and dust and so choose your fate happens.

When if at all does the person who charges get sacrificed?

Yes, if you obey charged a model at the Ashes and Dust and failed to deal any damage the Ashes and Dust would summon a Steampunk Abomination

Oh the possibilities........:bowsucker

Nico can take ashes and also Little Hamlin who can obey. I played this to good effect, is a little on the expensive side however...

When exactly would the model get summoned though? It says at the end of the activation, does the obey count as an Activation or would it die at the end of its next activation?

If it dies at the end of its next activation then this effect would wear off at end of turn I suppose and thus if the model has activated already would not kill it.

In this scenario, who's terrifying models are you checking against?

When Obeyed, are you considered friendly to the Obeying character? I don't have the card with me.

Yes, you're taking terrifying tests from the Obey'd models former friends. As long as the enemy has a terrifying model on the board that the Obeyed model can see, you can declare a charge at it, fail a terrifying test, and run off the board.