Perdita, Avatar of Revelations Tactica

nilus

Figure I would start this discusion up. Note that this is all my opinion and is based on both Theorfaux as some play of her(but mostly theory)

While most Avatar seemed to physically change, APeridita instead finds a mount. A flying cat dragon Neverborn beast. The Fluff says she has not named it but for the purposes of this tactica have decided to name him Mister Kitty Dragon(MKD for short).

So lets talk APerdita and MKD

1) How does they manifest?

1 - Perdita needs to pull off Anticipation twice

2 - Perdita must kill two enemy models with Execute.

One thing to note is the rules for Manifestation requirements restrict you from completing more then one in an event. So you can't trigger Anticipation while you execute someone and fulfill both requirements.

So anticipation is not to hard to pull off. But it eats into your precision masks which Ortega crews need(For Obeys and Trigger Happys). It also means you will be doing less damage(no critical strike).

Executing models is not really easy either. Again you need masks to do it and you need to target models with less then 5 wounds(up to 7 with a really lucky hit and critical strike).

So neither manifest requirement is easy but neither is super hard either. I would say you will most likely see APerdita coming out between round 3 and 4. A turn 2 activation is possible but unlikely. If you are using her you want her out by turn 3 or 4 to take advantage of her hand creation abilities as much as possible.

One note, if you are planning on taking APerdita and you take her unique scheme(which is not a bad idea, you are already trying to kill two models with Execute, why not a third), she loses Execute when she manifests so get all three kills before you transform

Next up: What do we get when we manifest and what do we lose

Edited by nilus

2) What do we gain, What do we lose.

First off we lose a totem if we had one. I still think the Enslaved Neph is worth taking for the first few rounds. Obey can be really helpful in getting models into position. But it does then make your Avatar form a 4 stone investment

Stat wise

Our move stays the same but we get flight

HT goes up

Our WP goes up by 1

Our Casting goes down 1

Our wounds go up by 3

And

Our defense tanks to 5. - This one is a big deal. Def 8 is what keep Perdita alive(that and her killing things before they kill her). Without it she becomes a lot more vulnerable. Plus our bigger size means we are easier to shoot now. We also lose evasive

Our Peace bringer gets a range increase and paired and we get a melee attack.

We lose Gunfighter(except on a trigger), Obey, Execute, Bullet bending, critical strike Faster'n you, Quick draw, Heros Gamble. So yeah thats a lot

We gain Flight, Terrifying 12, We are all Monsters(models counts as Neverborn for talents and spells).

We also gain a bunch of new abilities and spells which are best talked about in the next post

Strategy

Now see, I keep thinking her mount looks like Toothless, the Night Fury dragon from How to Train Your Dragon. :P

Looking forward to seeing how her Avatar plays. I'm not a huge fan of Perdita's crew normally, but I really like the look of the Avatar, so much like Sonnia, I'm considering grabbing Guild crews eventually, simply because the Avatars look awesome, LOL.

3) Strategy or APerdita, what is she good for

So you know have a two gun wielding, flying Bad ass cowgirl on a Cat Dragon. Your first instinct is to take her into combat. Two guns blazing. My suggestion......Don't

What saved Perdita from being a glass canon before(her high defense) is gone. She is easy to hit, and has absolutely no defenses. No triggers, no armor, no hards. She only gains 3 Wounds.

Her Bites and bullets trigger(that allows her to shoot someone after she she does a diving attack) is fun but its very situational. I recommend using it only when you are performing an Alpha Strike with other Ortegas and you can assure that once she is done she is well protected again.

So what is she good for.

Two words. GOD HAND. See she has an ability at the start of the end Draw phase she may discard any cards from her hand and then draw back that many cards. These cards are considered in her hand but must be left face up for everyone to see. Sounds good right.

On top of that she has a spell called No secrets(1). Which allows her to discard cards again and draw them. You have to show these as well(but don't technically need to leave them revealed). You need a unsuited 10 to cast it so its not super difficult.

So you can potential draw 6 cards, discard and draw back to six twice more. You can craft a pretty amazing hand with that.

Want more cards? Well she has a spell called lies uncovered gives negative fate when casting spells with WP resist. It has a mask trigger that lets you draw a card when you cast. The thing is "lies uncovered" does not state enemy models. So if you find Perdita not in a good place to shoot with an extra action, take a gamble and cast it on a friendly model. It requires a 9 to pull of so I would waste a 9 of masks in a cheat, but if you got the extra action its worth taking the gamble.

So what do I do with her.

My suggestion is to keep her back, have her shoot from a distance(she has a trigger that can gain her Soul stones if she kills certain models) and have her craft a super hand. Then take advantage of her family members with that hand. Alpha strike when you are sure its going to take out the threat and use diving attack only when you can safely retreat or can assure the threat is eliminated.

There are other powers and abilities I only glossed over, so other feel free to add in what you think. This is all my own opinion and of course your mileages may vary,

Edited by nilus

Great write up! Gives a real taste of how the Avatar plays - if they all follow this sort of patten, they definitely will be more 'different' than 'overpowered'. I'll be interested to see how well they play in the game - as it stands right now, I can see pursuing the manifestation requirements as having a large impact on your success in the game...

• 2 weeks later...
I am sure it is right there, easy to understand, but what benefit does Perdita counting as Neverborn give? I just don't get it....

Why do you think it should necessarily be a benefit?

It does various stuff..

She's immune to Black Blood, Killjoy can charge her from 10" away, etc. ...

Edited by Wodschow

Gotta love that Perdita! Although first time I ever played her (first ever game), first turn, she got absolutely smoked by a Von Schill trapper from the shadows with a god dam $$$$$$$$ kicker of a flip involving the fishlipped red joker. The day after I re-read the part in the book about spending soulstones to prevent wounds..... ..... Please don't point and laugh :)