Calling dibs! The first Puppet army!

Brence

http://www.puppet-wars.com/puppet.html?Mas=1&Sz=8&Toys=17,11,24,21,21,21,20,20

Above theres the link to the website (hope it can be viewed by you guys).

Seamus was the first puppet I saw and loved instantly so he's going to be the master of this band of raggedy puppets.

The Rotten Belle's are a given (maxing out at 3 of them) they can be summoned on massé and with the possible Marshall's effect they are better at causing those "Confusing" Rips.

The Death Marshalls are sure to be interesting when you get a Rams card off to add +1 to the CB value of your Belle's for instance. Hope they see the Table though as you'd need a rather good Rams card to get it on the table.

The Hooded rider is (as always) a combat monster that can be let out on its own and cause havoc.

The Chihuahua can munch upon the decay tokens of the Belle's to get them into the scrap pile for Scrounging.

So what do you guys think? I must admit I am still figuring out some stuff on the rules but I thought I'd post this up.

I love the little pidgeon... it's so cute...

Yeah I was looking at using the Belles with the Chihuahua so the Belle get torn, Seamus brings her back, the dog munches off the decay counter so next time she get torn to pieces she can be stitched together again... I think the Nurse and the Guild Autopsy could work really good in that mix too. The Nurse can also get rid of the Decay counters.. just make sure you do it before you put any other nice effect on the Belle..

The other thing is look at the Guild Hounds if your going to have a really big hitter like the Hooded Rider attaching their jaws can turn them into a real juggernought.

Edited by Ratty

As a playtester I know just how awesome this game is, and have enjoyed a fair few lists.

That is good to hear. Care to ellaborate on your favourite parts of the game?

I am very excited about it a great cahnce to drag my kids into gaming. They love the look of the puppets.

Even more excited when I heard you could play Puppet wars on the new terraclips terrain :happypuppet1.

That is good to hear. Care to ellaborate on your favourite parts of the game?

I am very excited about it a great cahnce to drag my kids into gaming. They love the look of the puppets.

Even more excited when I heard you could play Puppet wars on the new terraclips terrain :happypuppet1.

Happy to :happypuppet2

Well by now I'm sure you've been on the website and had a good look at the rules, etc. If not, do so now, I'll wait =]

Well now, you can see the game is quite different from Malifaux and any other mini/board game too.

For me, the best thing about Puppet Wars is freedom. The game gives you more freedom of choice than about any other game on the market. Want to field an Executioner with Seamus, fine, like the idea of Marcus leading a Teddy Picnic, go nuts. Same with how you win the game, go for a precision Master kill or show total domination by taking over all the Workbenches. Then there's upgrades, even more choice and variety, want to put a skirt on Hooded Rider, go ahead, think Seamus would look good in High Heels, I do too :D You have almost limited choice and variety to create the synergies you want (and then there's the board...) Some might say the game has balancing problems similar to Malifaux, that every model isn't balanced against every model, but that's the whole point (you're not playing chess here). Bette Noir can be pretty scary, but when you take her down you feel great. Plus I would argue the game has brilliant scalability, you can have a quick scrap that is still tons of fun or you could have a complex battle that goes back in forth, as you tear apart upgrades and call in reinforcements from the Toybox. Then the models are both easy to paint, with little to no modelling skills required (most are one piece), but are also gorgeous miniatures that inspire anyone who remotely likes Tim Burtonesque aesthetics, whether they collect miniatures or not. Hell even my Mum has begun to take an interest and she has every right to hate miniatures considering the amount of money she wasted on GW products (which I mostly destroyed).

So yes, it's a wonderfully accessible game that your kids should love, it's easy (compared to simple) to play but challanging and fun to master with endless possibilities. Indeed there's plenty fabric and thread leftover for Puppet Wars to grow and evolve in the future, perhaps even more so than Malifaux.

That answer you're question? :D

Happy to :happypuppet2

Well by now I'm sure you've been on the website and had a good look at the rules, etc. If not, do so now, I'll wait =]

Well now, you can see the game is quite different from Malifaux and any other mini/board game too.

For me, the best thing about Puppet Wars is freedom. The game gives you more freedom of choice than about any other game on the market. Want to field an Executioner with Seamus, fine, like the idea of Marcus leading a Teddy Picnic, go nuts. Same with how you win the game, go for a precision Master kill or show total domination by taking over all the Workbenches. Then there's upgrades, even more choice and variety, want to put a skirt on Hooded Rider, go ahead, think Seamus would look good in High Heels, I do too :D You have almost limited choice and variety to create the synergies you want (and then there's the board...) Some might say the game has balancing problems similar to Malifaux, that every model isn't balanced against every model, but that's the whole point (you're not playing chess here). Bette Noir can be pretty scary, but when you take her down you feel great. Plus I would argue the game has brilliant scalability, you can have a quick scrap that is still tons of fun or you could have a complex battle that goes back in forth, as you tear apart upgrades and call in reinforcements from the Toybox. Then the models are both easy to paint, with little to no modelling skills required (most are one piece), but are also gorgeous miniatures that inspire anyone who remotely likes Tim Burtonesque aesthetics, whether they collect miniatures or not. Hell even my Mum has begun to take an interest and she has every right to hate miniatures considering the amount of money she wasted on GW products (which I mostly destroyed).

So yes, it's a wonderfully accessible game that your kids should love, it's easy (compared to simple) to play but challanging and fun to master with endless possibilities. Indeed there's plenty fabric and thread leftover for Puppet Wars to grow and evolve in the future, perhaps even more so than Malifaux.

That answer you're question? :D

That well and truly answers my question and at the same time gets even more excited. I sat down and read the rules last night and was very impressed. It has the ability to have alot more depth in the game than I thought it would plus at the same time can be a quick, fun and simple game for younger ones.

Well done Wyrd.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that sold my wife on it was the fact that while we where talking to Karn about the game he had to answer questions for a demo. My wife watched the other game do a bunch of stuff in a row and said "I just followed what they did. 1 more question and lets get it". We had a draft tonight for who gets to paint what minis :D.

• 2 weeks later...
saw an earlier post that said puppet wars can be used with terra clips. I dont remember seeing hexes on the terra clips. how does puppet wars work on the clips board? or did I just miss the hexes?

You'd use the Square Grid rules in the Pattern book and use the semi-hidden grid built into the Terra Clips. Its one of those neat things you can do.

At GenCon I used the list except for a Witchling Stalker (for healing Marcus) in place of the second moleman I didn't have. One game I healed Marcus twice before moving three spaces from a stuffed puppet that was next to Seamus. My action was to Roar! which put the fourth rip on Seamus and won me the game. We were both down to a couple of puppets and our masters. If I had not been able to heal Marcus, I would have lost.

Didn't work as well the last game. I was able to hold off the Hooded Rider, but I got manhandled (via Bad JuJu). He kept throwing my puppets around and creating space. Vik killed Marcus from two squares away after switching with another puppet. He took a no-suit army. That worked real well for him on that board.