Team Marcus

Fulgrima

I admire your dogged persistence;

Was that an intentional play on words? :) Speaking of dogs, I wish Marcus could gain the benefit of Guild Kennels (the +1ss per pair hired). I would love to field a few of those, but I don't think they can even try to compare to a night terror for a 3ss model....but 2 for 5 maybe.

Happy to have a :+fate opinion of the dual Shikome list. Even as discouraged as I'm becoming, I'm actually looking forward to trying that out.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was that an intentional play on words? :) Speaking of dogs, I wish Marcus could gain the benefit of Guild Kennels (the +1ss per pair hired). I would love to field a few of those, but I don't think they can even try to compare to a night terror for a 3ss model....but 2 for 5 maybe.

Happy to have a :+fate opinion of the dual Shikome list. Even as discouraged as I'm becoming, I'm actually looking forward to trying that out.

I wish I was that clever. ;)

I actually like the Guild Hounds, but for the opposite reason as the Night Terrors:

- Night Terrors are really mobile, relatively durable objective grabbers. Unfortunately, after that their damage output is poor due to their low damage values.

- Guild Hounds are fast models with good damage output (though it slacks against Hard to Wound targets,) that have the benefit of a built in Companion (so you can immediately sick them on anything Marcus hits with Feral+Stare Down.) Plus, they have a good amount of Wds for their SS cost, and they have the potential to charge for a (1) action. Unfortunately, they're not great at grabbing objectives, because all you need to do is have one die off and the other one is useless for that purpose.

Rathnard said that Silurids are essentially a 15 SS crew choice, and I agree. In a similar vein, I like to think of the Guild Hounds as a pretty good 6 SS choice, for when I want to toss in a little straightforward "alpha strike" (i.e. no need to worry about Leap, like most of Marcus' faster choices.)

All that said, I totally agree: getting that 1 SS refund would be awesome. :)

Depending on terrain (which can happen more often for me considering all the great tree / forest bases we just made) if there are some forests on the board....replace Myranda with a Waldgeist.

A solid 6ss model that doesn't need to be within 3" to make melee attacks. Good wounds, Armor, good CB and damage - with a cool trigger. and it'll increase my ss pool by 1.

I'd lose Myranda's versatility, but if this list is mainly about delivering death to Seamus using the Shikome (Shikomes?) then the Waldgeist would allow me to keep moving the forests for them to hide in / behind.

Edit: and I agree about the Silurids, I love them, but never field less than 3.

Honestly, for as much success others have had with Myranda, I've never felt she was worth the SS. I still want to try her out as more of a spell slinger, as I think then her primary purpose will be more direct and her flexibility will be more valuable. But, that's just me. ;)

Terrain permitting, I think that's a great swap idea. I love Waldgeists in general, and if you can use them to help cover your advance, all the better!

Also, depending on how you and your group feel about proxies, the Slate Ridge Mauler may be worth trying out if terrain doesn't favor the Waldgeist and Myranda ends up not pulling her weight. At the very least, its a big, durable, hard hitting model that you can toss into the fray, and with Hunting Partner and Enraged it would be damn scary. Kind of slow though.

Also, depending on how you and your group feel about proxies, the Slate Ridge Mauler may be worth trying out if terrain doesn't favor the Waldgeist and Myranda ends up not pulling her weight. At the very least, its a big, durable, hard hitting model that you can toss into the fray, and with Hunting Partner and Enraged it would be damn scary. Kind of slow though.

If nothing else, Myranda is a 1 ss cheaper Shikome, without the spells but without being tied to a specific prey.

She's really not bad all around.....she has good movement and her Clawshape spell can boost her damage significantly. Another Primal Flame floating around isn't bad either.

No proxy issues. I'm using this guy for the Mauler....

th_100_1384.jpg

But he's not an option. Due to his mobility, he can't really hide and his damage output turns him into prime target #1. I've used him a couple times and he has done absolutely nothing. In a pinch though, when wounded, Myranda can turn into one for a little extra survivability.

If nothing else, Myranda is a 1 ss cheaper Shikome, without the spells but without being tied to a specific prey.

She's really not bad all around.....she has good movement and her Clawshape spell can boost her damage significantly. Another Primal Flame floating around isn't bad either.

No proxy issues. I'm using this guy for the Mauler....

th_100_1384.jpg

But he's not an option. Due to his mobility, he can't really hide and his damage output turns him into prime target #1. I've used him a couple times and he has done absolutely nothing. In a pinch though, when wounded, Myranda can turn into one for a little extra survivability.

Points taken. I guess I just really need to use Myranda more and figure out the best way to use her. I think I use her too conservatively, so I'm always underwhelmed when she doesn't do more.

And that totally makes sense with the Mauler. I was thinking he may be able to contribute by being a fire soak, but he's not durable enough to weather quite that much attention it seems.

Looks like you've got your list then! :) I'm very interested to hear how it goes.

Hello Fellow Marcus players, I have been strolling the forums for a long time now and just did not ever bother registering and posting. The only master I own. I would like to join Team Marcus and would like # 132 if possible.

Side Note: I actually looked at the T shirts, and would considering buying one if they had a bit more to them. It should be a normal T with Marcus or Arcanists printed on the front small where a just above where a pocket would be, and on the back it should say Team Marcus like a jersey would across the shoulders then your number below that. well that’s just my two cents. if it comes to pass i may buy one if not i will probably make my own

A well timed cerberus doesn't have to be a one shot deal.

After the leap and 3 attacks it can walk away.

The main thing that will reduce it to less than 4 wounds is Seamus, so activate it after he has been, or pick on a model that isn't near seamus.

If you do it after Seamus, then you've got a chance you win iniative and go a second time before he can hurt you (or high tail it out of there ready for a second go next time). If he goes first, unless he has killed the cat you can get it out of their and healed up with Primal flame (or if Marcus is close and your hand this turn supports it, heal him up and then actiavte him to do his damage there and then)

Rattler has a nice ranged shot.

Hello Fellow Marcus players, I have been strolling the forums for a long time now and just did not ever bother registering and posting. The only master I own. I would like to join Team Marcus and would like # 132 if possible.

Side Note: I actually looked at the T shirts, and would considering buying one if they had a bit more to them. It should be a normal T with Marcus or Arcanists printed on the front small where a just above where a pocket would be, and on the back it should say Team Marcus like a jersey would across the shoulders then your number below that. well that’s just my two cents. if it comes to pass i may buy one if not i will probably make my own

All new members are welcome :) I did look at putting more on the shirts but the more you put on the more expensive they become.

So, I've been eyeing up Rasputina as a possible future purchase, and as a result I've been looking more at the Frozen Heart models. Some of these look like decent candidates for Marcus crews as well, so I wanted to ask the group what their opinions are on some of these models under Marcus:

- Silent One: Like most of the Frozen Heart models, she's slower than a cold river of molasses. However, I'm not really interested in her for her speed. What I like about this model is that its 1) relatively cheap, 2) slightly tricksy (with Frozen Heart + Turn to Ice/Northern Wind shenanigans,) and 3) a decent bit of magical "ranged" support, with her Freeze spell.

I like this model as a potential buddy for Myranda, with some help from the Raptor. Freeze is a good offensive spell (especially with Furious Casting,) and Myranda actually has the exact same casting value as the Silent One, so that's a bonus. ;)

My biggest issues are: slow and squishy. Having a good ranged attack makes slow less of an issue, though that may mess with the Myranda pairing. Squishy is definitely the bigger concern, though at least she blows up when she dies, so if she's near death you can toss her into the enemy, lay down a spell or two, and hopefully do some damage on the way out.

- Snow Storm: I've heard mention of this model in the past, but I hadn't really digested its rules until recently. Now I understand why some people speak fondly of it. ;)

Pretty fast, Float, Spirit, good melee damage, good damage spell, crew acceleration, and Ice Pillars for area denial. Very compelling, and even though it is expensive I can definitely see it working decently well (if not very well) in a Marcus crew.

- Blessed of December: This one is like a bizarro-Cerberus. It trades out raw damage potential for more consistent damage (in so much as it has Melee Expert vs. Three Headed,) potential healing from two different sources, an easier to obtain leap (Blessed needs a 5:masks+ versus the 7:masks+ the Cerberus needs,) and a spell that Myranda can potentially spam.

I'm very conflicted with this model. It seems more durable than the Cerberus (forgot about Hard to Wound 1 in the comparison above,) but with a lower (albeit more consistent) damage output. I think it has potential, and I'll definitely give her a spin or three, but for the same SS cost its a hard line to draw.

Also, one more that isn't a Raspy model:

- Soulstone Miner: I've heard good things about this model elsewhere, but I'm curious about how it works with Marcus, if anyone has any experience.

Its a fairly autonomous model, and its ability to chip in SS during the course of the game can be really nice, but I don't think taking a 6 SS model for a 2 SS return during the game (the most it can drill up without healing) is necessarily worth it, and I'm concerned that using Overdrive will eat into SS that Marcus would otherwise want/need (since he tends to be in the thick of things.)

What are people's experiences with the above models in a Marcus crew? Worth it? Not worth it? Fun for a lark?

Looking forward to any feedback!

Well I've started my Marcus expedition, with Marcus, his avatar and 3 Silurids. I'm a fluffy player who has ideas for a few variations on the standard 35ss list. Just like Dgraz I don't like taking models that don't fit the theme.

Considering I currently only play on Terraclips (so no forests, etc), this is my favourite list, the theme being Marcus leading a brood of curious sewer Silurids and Myranda reluctantly taking on the form of her uncle's pet abomination. I personally think the Rogue Necromancy is the best thing Myranda can transform into since it's cost effective and non-reliant on spells. My only thought is if I drop the Jackalope I could have Avatar of Instinct, but I am already at a relatively low model count.

Marcus (cache - 5)

Jackalope

Myranda (Rogue Necromancy)

Spawn Mother

3 Silurids

Moleman

I also wonder what people think of the monster list. I mean Avatar of Instict companioned with two Rogue Necromancy just seems brutal.

Marcus (Cache - 4)

Marcus, Avatar of Instinct

Jackalope

Rogue Necromancy

Razorspine Rattler/Slate Ridge Mauler

Sabertooth Cerberus

And finally my winter list, similar to the monster list, but themed around all the Beasts of the snowy peaks. I'm a little surprised that Blessed of December is unique, and I'm not sure if it's cost-effective in a Marcus list. I like the December Acolyte as it gives Marcus a cool ranged model.

Marcus (Cache - 4/5)

Jackalope

Myranda (Slate Ridge Mauler)

Slate Ridge Mauler

Sabertooth Cerberus

Blessed of December and Malifaux Raptor or

December Acolyte and Moleman

Marcus (cache - 5)

Jackalope

Spawn Mother

3 Silurids

Moleman

I also wonder what people think of the monster list. I mean Avatar of Instict companioned with two Rogue Necromancy just seems brutal.

One issue with this: Myranda can only Transform into non-unique Beasts, with a SS cost of 8 or less (v2). So, unfortunately, that puts the Rogue Necromancy off the menu. :(

The good news is, you can still rock Myranda in this list, as she can cast it's Acid Breath spell, and its a potent ranged attack that's definitely worth getting a second one of. Plus, you can always transform her into a Cerberus or a Mauler later when you need the combat output. Still pretty monstrous. :)

Damn you version 2! It fitted so well too.

But surely she couldn't cast Acid Breath unless I had the RN in my list?

What about dropping the Jackalope and the Spawn Mother, getting RN and Myranda transforming into the Spawn Mother-no that doesn't work. I guess I could always use the RN model as a proxy for Sabertooth Cerberus.. Grr..

I think stuff like the RN is precisely why they changed Myranda. Though maybe I'm wrong and there's something even nastier around the corner for Marcus! One can dream....

You are correct; you can't have Myranda cast Acid Breath unless the RN is in the list (and Myranda is near it.) They're a really excellent pair - he gives her a spell to kick out for damage, and she can heal him if you happen upon some decent :rams.

You can turn Myranda into the Spawn Mother, but you're totally right: it isn't worth it, since she doesn't get her spells. :(

However, I think having just one RN in there is still plenty nasty, so no need to give up on having one in there. :) If you want "dual cat death" action, you can always have Myranda transform into a Cerberus, and kick out some very respectable damage.

So for my standard list I could just proxy Cerberus or go for a sewer dwelling Rattler (can't remember much about it, apart from it being ornery)

Marcus (cache - 5)

Jackalope

Myranda (Sabertooth Cerberus/Razorspine Rattler)

Spawn Mother

3 Silurids

Moleman

Then my Marcus Beast list could have two Cerberus', RN and Rattler/Mauler or two SRMs, RN and Cerberus. Two cats or two bears with Avatar of Instinct, both deadly... but which is better (well there's only one way to find out.. FIGHT!)

Marcus (Cache - 4)

Jackalope

Myranda (Sabertooth Cerberus/Slate Ridge Mauler)

Rogue Necromancy

Razorspine Rattler/Slate Ridge Mauler

Sabertooth Cerberus

Independent of scenarios/schemes, I'd cast my vote for Maulers.

I really, really want to like the Rattler. Hell, my fiance even painted mine (and it looks great)! But every time I've used him, he's charged in, gotten off two attacks, then died (usually after not killing, but heavily wounding, his target.) For its cost, I just expect either a little more devastation out of a bottle rocket, or a little more durability overall.

The Mauler is slower, but he'll definitely take some faces off before he goes off the table. I think its a great model to have around if you have aMarcus and can get him out early - Instinctual Behavior would make it into an absolute nightmare, and you can even "companion" it thanks to aMarcus' abilities. Plus, you don't really care about Df with the Mauler, as all its durability is in Hard to Wound and Hard to Kill.

Fun part is, you can have Myranda oscillate between the two. I can't remember who first posted it, so my apologies for not citing my source here: Myranda can turn into a Rattler, and get into position. The following turn, charge out for (1) using Serpent Strike, use her (0) to revert to Myranda, then take her other (1) action to Transform into the Mauler. You can then take your Melee Expert attack in Mauler form, and you've just delivered a big, tough, possibly angry bear right into the enemy's face.

The original version used the Cerberus and its Two Headed rule to get a ton of attacks, and its still a very valid approach. However, the Mauler is also not a bad idea, as its more durable after it gets stuck in, and being able to dart in via the Rattler's crazy-high charge range offsets its slower speed.

Wow that sounds awesome, I never gave much thought to multiple tranformations. Mauler beats Rattler.

I think the Blessed of Decemeber vs. Cerberus is an interesting debate as there are some clear crossovers.

I'm still struggling to find a Beast that would fit into my Silurid list, especially one set in the sewers (don't think bears go down there often..)

I'm still struggling to find a Beast that would fit into my Silurid list, especially one set in the sewers (don't think bears go down there often..)

Night Terrors?

Wish I was around my computer today to be in this conversation. Great stuff. I love the Myranda/rattler/bear or cerberus idea. You'd have to have just the right hand for that though...it takes a decent card for 'Transformation'.

Also got me thinking is the Silent One/myranda combo. I really like Myranda, I need to get into my cards and look for other models that would be excellent with Myranda's spell.

Wow that sounds awesome, I never gave much thought to multiple tranformations. Mauler beats Rattler.

I think the Blessed of Decemeber vs. Cerberus is an interesting debate as there are some clear crossovers.

I think the blessed will replace the cerberus in most lists.

It does the same things and trades a bit of offensive power for more durability. It also has a higher CA for jumping around.

Night Terrors?

Wish I was around my computer today to be in this conversation. Great stuff. I love the Myranda/rattler/bear or cerberus idea. You'd have to have just the right hand for that though...it takes a decent card for 'Transformation'.

Also got me thinking is the Silent One/myranda combo. I really like Myranda, I need to get into my cards and look for other models that would be excellent with Myranda's spell.

I've been thinking on this also. Mainly things that are easy for her to cast and aren't suit dependent.

Taelor- Menace

Bishop- Knock out, study opponent

sue- Shrug off, circle of flames, tread the line

mctavish- shrug off, wrangle critter

Cassandra- breathe fire

Coryphee- Blinding, Orchestral Crescendo

Performer- Expensive gift, seduction

Most of these are ok, some seem good. I like menace and study opponent, especially if study opponent would remain in effect after transforming.

Sue seems godly next to myr as does mctavish.

Coryphee seems good, the pulse damage would be really nice in certain matchups. Coryphee's are also really good by themselves

I love the Myranda/rattler/bear or cerberus idea. You'd have to have just the right hand for that though...it takes a decent card for 'Transformation'.

That's the #1 thing that gets me with Myranda: her best, most interesting talent is heavily tied to getting that 9:tomes+ in your hand. You can kind of risk trying for the flip early in the game, especially if you can go for Furious Casting. Heck, if you turn into a Shikome, you net the same total movement as if you had move and cast anyways. ;)

However, if you're going to go for midgame Transformations, you can't risk the flip, so you better have drawn/hoarded that 9:tomes+. Actually, for this particular sequence, you'll need two: one to Transform, and then another one the following turn to Transform again.

Combos that hand intensive are kind of rare to pull off, though at least in a Marcus crew you don't have a lot of direct competition for those high :tomes, so if you end up getting one in your hand early on you can hold onto it (assuming you don't need to cheat to save someone's hide, that is. ;) )

A lot of what I've tried to accomplish with Myranda has been based off these kinds of Transformation shenanigans, and the card requirement has bitten me in the butt more than once. That's why I've been trying to find other ways to increase her "value added" by looking into her other abilities - most specifically, her Animal Instincts spell.

Unfortunately, most Beast spells are ho-hum. The Lawyer has some fun, spammable spells, but the Lawyer himself is so-so in terms of effectiveness, and its arguable whether you really need to fling any of his spells around that much.

The Rogue Necromancy has a great spell for Myranda to cast, especially since its the only way you'll ever get two of 'em out in one turn. I haven't given the RN a spin yet myself (models with a SS cost that high make me nervous,) but as the RN himself is no slouch in combat, and Myranda brings the added benefit of being able to heal the RN, its a solid pairing on paper.

The juiciest spells, however, are all on non-Beast models: Kaeris, Snow Storm, and Silent Ones have great spells for her to cast, because they all rely on :tomes (or :tomes:tomes) and Myranda's Ca is equal to or greater than their casting values. So, its a natural fit for her!

In order to make use of those spells, however, you have to turn them into beasts, and the most efficient way to do so is to have the Raptor peck at them. Which means you're spending another 2 SS on these combos, and you're still kind of hand dependent (need a decent :tomes for the attack trigger, and at least one low card for cheating down damage or the defense flip.)

Is it worth it? I don't know, but it certainly looks like fun. :) Plus, even if you can't get the combo off, you still have a solid spellcasting/support model in any of the aforementioned choices, and Myranda can potentially Transform into a combat beastie. Definitely going to try it out in some games here soon, and I'll report back any noteworthy moments.

Speaking of "noteworthy moments" - did you ever get a chance to have another run at Seamus? How'd it go?