Hamelin or Leviticus

Koschai

So heres the situation. I've been looking for another Outcast master as I have the Viks (plus several Neverborn crews) and would like an alternative.

I sort of decided upon Leveticus as I kinda want to run some Undead but agreed not to buy any Resser masters as my buddy wanted to run them all and I didn't want to step on his toes. Plus the constructs look great and his playstyle seems interesting and powerful.

However I really like the concept and fluff of Hamelin. The problem is he strikes me as vastly overpowered. I read the thread a while back where it was strongly argued that he wasn't broken and that it was just players didn't know how to play against him.

The issue at hand though is that both I, and my regular playing buddies are pretty inexperienced and I am concerned that I would simply not get any games. My Pandora crew is already dubbed as overpowered and I rarely get to play it.

Note I regularly play against Alp bombs and McMourning slingshotting Flesh constructs he summons turn 1 into assault with models I have not touched yet! So the hypocracy is there. Plus no one bitches about things like a blood factory list!

So my question is help me out. Can you give me some argument I can use to convince people who hear Hamelin and think "I ain't playing against that" that he really isn't that bad, or should I just go ahead and pick up Leveticus as planned.

This almost sounds like the tragedy of broken relationships, whereby, the person who cares least has the most power.

By this I mean, you may have to give up on a few games to make a point. Tell THEM you don't want to play against their OP lists or combos.

If you keep bending to their complaints, they will keep bullying you around, so my advice is simply to give them a taste of their own medicine, and "care" less than them (even though you secretly care more lol).

Best of luck!

Please dont let this turn into another argument about Hamelin's power level :(

I'm hoping it will be the opposite. I appreciate the "just stick to your guns" however what I'm really looking for is something to hold up as a "this is why you guy's should relax".

Unfortunatly there, as noted, is a lot of hostility towards Hamlin. As a prospective new Hamlin player that's a problem so I was hoping for one of the people who feel Hamelin is okay, a little top tier perhaps but not out of the park, to give me a line of reasoning that I could use to defuse the internet hate when it spills over into our local store.

Then again, maybe the answer is just to play Leveticus. I'm not 100% convinced the whole rat swarm sounds all that fun to actually play... I just love the background.

I've just started playing with Levi, he's lots of fun but quite hard to get used to. One thing I have noticed though is that it usually seems best to take constructs rather than undead. Levi only needs 1 corpse counter all game to make a 2nd waif. After that they are pointless. However scrap counters can be used to make abominations. Because of this I usually take a construct heavy crew to most games. I guess the only time I'd change this is against Ramos or Hoffman.

He can be quite infuriating to play since you only get new cards for your control hand when he dies but on the whole I'm very glad I've started playing him, he's very different from any other master without people moaning about him being overpowered

Then again, maybe the answer is just to play Leveticus. I'm not 100% convinced the whole rat swarm sounds all that fun to actually play... I just love the background.

I would agree. Admittedly I only got a dozen or so games in with my Hamelin crew before I stopped using it... but its not that interesting to play, you basically just have to do the same thing every game regardless of schemes and very few people will enjoy playing it.

I think Levi would be alot more fun and has a good range of models to choose from.

I haven't played Hamelin, but am quite interested in starting with him for a couple of reasons.

First, I already seem to have accumulated Outcasts, so rather than starting another Faction, Hamelin is a somewhat logical step.

Second, most of the the other Outcast Masters I have are a bit one dimensional...they don't seem tricky to play like the summoning/mobility Masters like Levi, Dreamer, Collette etc, and I want to try something a bit different.

I think that the way you play Hamelin will very much depend on how he is perceived. If you take Hamelin as a learning experience for all of you (especially if you are keen on attending tournaments etc) then you will all benefit from a Hamelin crew within the community.

Secondly, you can balance the crew yourself, by your choice of models. I see you have Lilith. One Hamelin option starts with Terror Tots (Ht1) which are then rapidly grown to Matures. This might not be quite as boring or overpowered as other Hamelin list options, and you probably already have the models.

Unfortunately this is true in the main, there's certainly less variety than most master lists.

I agree, Hamelin list is very rigid. Not too much room for variation. The showgirls are the same way, but they have a couple different ways of doing things. While Hamelin is frontal assault threw attrition. As for a reason to play against him, he has a very simple weak point, kill the rat catchers & Nix... I said simple not easy. Then you wait for turn 6. and when he needs to spread to take objectives, you jump on him. The first 5 turns are for killing just those models. On turn 6 he has 2 maybe 3 activations. You let your cheap models activate forcing hamelin to activate everything, then you rip into him. Don't fight him on his terms, patience is the way to kill him.

Look wise I don't like Levi, but play wise I think he is more versatile and more interesting to play.

Well thanks guy's for the feedback. I still love the background behind Hamelin and just reading the Rising Powers book about the Stolen had me ooh'ing and ahh'ing, however between a rather boring playstyle and hostility from other people who read forums I went ahead and picked up Leveticus.

I do like the fact that I'll be able to dip into other factions for the constructs and undead and think he will be an interesting master and as my 5th (not to mention 2 henchmen) gives me something really different to grow into.

And who knows, maybe I'll pick up a Hamelin box later on. If I do, maybe I'll try playing him without rats! Or at least with only a handfull.