Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Cheers all! I've spent a fun hour fiddling with the flower, I reckon it's there. Stylised a little but if I'm to have any remote chance of casting it in resin to paint then I had to simplify a touch! Will do what I usually do when things were a pain, give it a day then look again and decide if I like it.

Unfortunately for those enjoying a regular fix of my stuff, the next update will probably be after the weekend on a finished piece. So there'll be a few days of waiting. But I'm pretty sure noone will struggle to cope with that *wink*

Ahh, not yet. I keep hoping Eric and co will stumble on this thread, fall in love and ask me to do stuff for them (I mean that in a purely sculpting way of course :-P) but so far that plan's not worked out!

I might email them when I finish her fully, just to see what they think of it. At least I'm almost sure I'll get her finished before she comes out on the release list now. I was dreading seeing her on Feb's list (and still dreading March's which may appear soon) when I'd not finished my version, that would be vaguely gutting!

Edit: Go on then, as a special treat I'll admit - One of my little personal projects (that hasn't got any photos up as I was keeping it fairly quiet to keep it relaxed) is a crew of breach runners. They have a bit of a backstory written, and I've started working on one of the minions. Now Jaakuna's basically out the way, I'll be able to work on them again. But they'll appear very rarely, and only when I'm happy with each one being finished properly.

Edited by Mako

Ok folks, you've all been waiting for this (well, some of you have. One of you. Maybe :-P) but she's finished! I've only had chance today to get a quick photo of her from the front and the side with the new corpse, but if people want I'll take some time this week to get photos from various angles.

JaakunaUbumefinished.jpg

Now all I have to do is figure out what resin and silicon to use to cast her for my actual gaming piece. If I was going to do it in metal I'd go back and thicken the lily pads a bit but otherwise I reckon she'd be ok. She comes in 5 pieces to make moulding easier!

What do people think? Comments, criticisms, anything even vaguely related is very welcome!

Edited by Mako

Cheers! It's been a fun ride to make her, and hopefully I've caught the feel of the artwork properly.

I've had various people say they'd like one, but given that I did copy Wyrds artwork there'd have to be a chat with them first. Not sure how much they'd appreciate me stepping on their toes!

(Of course, if they haven't sent it out for sculpt yet and were tempted by this one, I'm sure some arrangement could be reached :-P Maybe I should get in touch with them and see if they like it. I imagine they'll have it under sculpt by whoever did the original Kirai crew, but would be nice to see what they thought and they may well have missed this thread among the thousands)

Well I sure hope the right person (or people) was/were looking and it would be awesome were Wyrd to approach you about this sculpt (and the possibility of doing others) because it is plainly obvious that you are highly skilled at sculpting and you will only get better from here.

And here is most surely impressive. You've perfectly (in my opinion, anyway) captured not only the visual translation from the artwork, but your attention to the details in the lines of the face really convey the feeling of menace the artwork implies. Great job, and happy for you that you met your goal of finishing before the official release.

I better shut up now, or you'll be unaffordable to us small time folks who might have entertained the idea of approaching you with the possibility of a custom sculpt! :) Once again, a piece of artwork to be rightfully proud of, and thanks for sharing the journey with us.

To echo diehard's comment, your sculpting fits in perfectly with the malifaux aesthetic. I'd definitely consider sending a few emails off to wyrd, even if they dont want this one, I'm sure your skills can be used somewhere, be it other models, or base inserts and acessories (The night terrors base looks amazing).

You're painting is top too. Love the onyro, gorgeous colours very well applied. Looking forward to seeing more, you've tempted me to attempt a kirai crew at some point :P

Thanks folks! I've taken some better shots of Jaakuna from various angles, and one of how she breaks down for casting. Just waiting for some casting kit to arrive then I'll get a paintable version made.

Jaakunaangles1.jpg

Jaakunaangles2.jpg

Jaakunaparts.jpg

I think the next work will either be Cassandra, or the night terrors. I have a definite plan for Kirai's avatar now so might start working on that too. Few modelling tweaks to do on her first...

Edited by Mako

Cheers guys (and gals of course)! Can't tell you how much the feedback has helped keep my momentum during this sculpt!

I did in fact email wyrd (through the malifaux website contact) earlier - mainly because I couldn't think who to send it to other than that email when someone was summoning me to the pub for a quick drink. Eight hours and a few too many pints later, I'm home (so please forgive any typos!). Was planning to sculpt some more stuff tonight but that's not going to happen!

Hopefully the casting stuff will arrive next week, so I'll be able to get going with the casting soon. That said, I have to get access to the labs with the vacuum ovens so I can degas my silicon and resin, so that could delay things a week or two...

Quick update - Nathan got back to me (actually taking the time to do that kind of thing makes thoese guys legends if you ask me!) and said I should be proud of my Jaakuna. Which I am of course, but it feels good to hear it from Wyrd!

And with any luck, the official one will appear soon and I can compare the two...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a few weeks, but in the next week or so I'm hoping I'll have been able to cast Jaakuna up so I can paint her. And maybe I'll even get some other painting done soon too! Although I've had other things on the painting pile recently that I need to sort out for Salute, in London (in April). Which is slowing progress down somewhat.

Since they're ready, the night terrors may as well be next, while I prepare Kirai's avatar. Might as well get one crew fully painted before I get distracted by the showgirls or guild again. I'm not including the shikome sculpt in that since it'll take a while to do, and I can probably paint a whole crew while thats happening...

Well, for a laugh, here's the moulding box I built (and filled with the first side of the silicon last night):

Mouldbox.jpg

Lego makes a brilliant frame, and the motor is positioned so the two little lugs on the wheel gently bounce off the sticking out brick and vibrate the mould slightly, getting air bubbles out.

Plus, you get to revisit your childhood and play with lego...

More soon hopefully, I'm having a crazy work week but the weekend should see some updates.

Cheers! I seem to have developed my painting style into this without realising it. But I'm happy with the way it works, so that's good I guess! Really should get back to painting the last of my spirits, I've just got to get a few bits out the way first then I can finally paint the last of my ressers.

Also, no child is too young (or old) for Lego, so there's always a reason to get yourself some. Wait, I mean get them some *wink*.

On a related note, the second half of the mould got poured today so soon I'll find out if I got it right or not!