Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

It's been nearly a month, and I have news and a photo (that's a few weeks old, but I didn't get round to posting it here when I first took it as it's not Malifaux).

Painting at the moment is basically nonexistent for me, as I'm not only moving house but moving country too. I'm making arrangements to not be deprived of my brushes and paints any longer than is necessary, but for the moment the chaos of international relocation has taken over. 

Before that started though, I did make a little progress on some Dropzone Commander stuff I've had for ages. It's a total sod to photograph because of the metallics, but here's the best shot I have (reasonably accurate, but not perfect):

neptunestage2_zps7a468c64.jpg

So yeah, no updates for a while longer. But eventually I'll be back to painting, no doubt...

• Like 2

Cheers V, though if I was really clever I'd have though it through a bit more and realised that twenty teeny tiny infantry are going to be a right pain to paint in this scheme :D

Shame I never think about that kind of thing until it's way too late to change the plan...

Incidentally, since I've managed to end up with some free time during my move, but have no paints to play with, would anyone be interested in hearing me muse on such things as photography, paint additives and anything else that comes into my head that I have some experience with?

• Like 3

Incidentally, since I've managed to end up with some free time during my move, but have no paints to play with, would anyone be interested in hearing me muse on such things as photography, paint additives and anything else that comes into my head that I have some experience with?

Wait....what? Is that like a freakin' trick question? Photography not so much for me........I think I'm at the peak of what I'm going to attain with my antique camera. But I'm always interested in new tricks to paint better and I don't use any additives in my paints yet.

• Like 1

What do you think/know about this product?

http://www.spazstix.com/aerosol-paints/color-change-paint

I thought it looked pretty sexy til I read it was a lacquer (is that the same as enamel?). I've seen a couple of people use it on figures by masking off the parts they want to protect, with quite nice effect. Just wondering what your take was.

Also, what do you think about interference mediums? Any tips on using them? I've tried a couple of things now, mixing in and glazing over, to varied effect - again, just food for thought really! :-D

• Like 1

Lacquer is kind of like enamel - could be a different solvent base, but they both dry pretty hard and glossy as far as I know. Never tried it myself though.

You can use oils (alkyd based) over acrylics pretty nicely, it's common in bust painting and I've toyed with it myself once or twice. But lacquer is a bit more variable (yay paint chemistry!). They can be organic solvent based, in which case it could easily trash any paint underneath, but that one looks like it's acrylic resin so should be safe.

Interference and color shift stuff is something I've not played with, I tend to paint the effect manually (which is a bit of a mare, honestly, but it lets me control the light direction and shadow depth). In general though, I treat every paint pretty much the same way - I tend to combine matt and metal like I would dark and light (such as my PHR dropship), so as long as the binder and solvents are similar it just gets treated as any other paint. If they're not the same and won't mix nicely, then glazing is the usual solution to it.

Doing the shades and highlights as normal, masking off and finishing up with the spray would have been my first idea. Though if I remember rightly, that iridescent stuff is full of mica flakes so the effect is more pronounced on darker backgrounds. So maybe a flat base colour, evenly coated with the spray, then glazed on top in the shadows with a matt colour to kill the reflection a bit and enhance the contrast. That would avoid the shadows being more intensely chromic than the highlights.

In terms of interference medium, you probably know more than me if you've used it! But if you're using water based acrylic ones, then mix them into the midtones and highlights would be my starting guess. Possibly into the shades too.

Hm... I may have to give these things a go when I get chance now, I'm curious to see what I can get up to...

I have a green and blue interference mediums 'somewhere'. I used the blue on some 40k Fenrisian Wolves that I use in a Fantasy Vampire army. I'll see if I can find them and drop a photo in. I find it really shines on dark colours, but makes paler ones 'jump' a bit more.

I want to experiment with blending through several colours to get an oil slick like sheen. Easier said than done naturally.

Damn it, now my brain is fizzing!

Very much so!! Especially paint additives, but anything really...

Woo, the new Wyrd Chronicles is out, I recommend everyone checks it out! And it means I can reveal Yan Lo, in all his painted glory...

completesmall_zpsfecb2812.jpg

complete2small_zpsba36cb13.jpg

So for how I did it, and a bunch of other good articles, go check out the new Chronicle on the malifaux.com download page!

where is this article?

would love to attempt this...

-j

Heh, bit of a blast from the past, that guy. He was pre gencon 2014!

I'm back in England now (landed yesterday morning), and when the courier actually shows up like he should have done yesterday afternoon I'll even have some paint. In a rather unfortunate twist, I only have five paints right now and one of those is the blasted pink Fluor I've struggled to find for months...

Welcome to the madhouse, Morray!

Ah, Misaki's base? She's a Chronicles article piece, there's a complete step by step guide to the base (with pictures). I think it's volume 5, which is available here:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/files/category/1-wyrd-chronicles/

Heh, never rage quit over someone else's painting. Only painting you can quit over is your own :P

(And I don't recommend that, because everything you paint is better than the last. It's all in how much you paint!)

• Like 1