Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Well done Maco, I'm very jealous. In US you actually get good prizes for competitions unlike here in UK.

Well some UK Malifaux events (mine for instance) put a lot of emphasis on the painting competitions, with prizes such as a set W&N Series 7 brushes. Its certainly something that deserves more emphasis though

Well some UK Malifaux events (mine for instance) put a lot of emphasis on the painting competitions, with prizes such as a set W&N Series 7 brushes. Its certainly something that deserves more emphasis though

And the same needs to be said about Clousseau. True they are still not as good as winning a tournament but they are really close tbh.

I was talking about big competitions like Salute. The prizes are not just much smaller than in US conventions, but also happen to be unrelated. For example how it should be done, you take part in Malifaux competition and get Malifaux mins as a prize. At Salute if you get a 1st place in a fantasy category you will get a unit of Napoleonic infantry. Does that make sense ?

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

And the same needs to be said about Clousseau. True they are still not as good as winning a tournament but they are really close tbh.

Clousseau ???

I was at salute this year just gone, I had to visit home anyway and managed to time it so I flew in the morning of salute. The prizes there are a bit random, but in all honest him not so fussed about the winning thing. Maybe if I was in with a chance of regularly winning hundreds of dollars I might care though!

I just enjoyed getting what was a large and sometimes difficult project done within a fairly tight deadline, getting the surprise of being picked out of the crowd of good stuff, and meeting Jessica Rich. going to have to apply her advice when I figure out how...

Had the pleasure of seeing your models up close at Gen Con - your painting and base were both fantastic, as always. Kind of bummed out that I didn't get to meet you though - I had a lot of sculpting & painting classes along with True Dungeon and didn't get to spend too much time in the Malifaux areas outside of Friday evening.

Ok, crazy new project plan - every model will have a themed base, but will also fit with the rest of the models it can go with. So each faction will have a theme, each crew will have a sub-theme of that, and cross faction models will have to fit both themes/any extra subthemes. This is going to be idiotically complicated to work out, I suspect.

For starters, the outcasts will all be on badlands/desert ruins type bases. Now all I have to do is work out all the faction themes, and how to get cross faction crews to match both...

Also should be noted, I don't intend to make mercenaries fit everyone. That would be close to impossible. I don't use them as mercs really, so they don't need to.

Ooh, interesting plan. I'll look forwards to seeing how you get on with this as it's something I though about trying - before deciding that it would be too confusing/complicated for my fairly useless and non-creative brain! I've ended up just basing everything in a similar style so I can swop models between crews at will without becoming upset about the lack of matchy-ness (yes I am that sad!).

Your dead justice crew looks awesome btw. *grin*

@guardian - can't show them to you yet! They'll most likely be in the chronicles, where I can talk a bit about the choices I made, and how competition painting is different from normal painting. But there will be lots of pics, I promise!

@peebs - yeah, that's the sensible way to do it. I've never really been one for the sensible option!

And since the sensible option is out, here's a link to the thread where I'll be planning this monstrosity out: http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?46155-Mako-s-giant-basing-project

Got a lot of working out of what minions go where to do, though the important one to begin with is the models in the viks crew - I think only the ronin can go into ten thunders with misaki, but could be wrong. If that is the case, they need to be on badlands/water combo bases, and I've got plans for their paint jobs...

• 2 weeks later...
Planning is rather dull, so here's a little (well, not actually little. Bigger than a malifaux model) thing I've been working on in the meantime. Left leg is much further on than the right, but still not finished.

legearlydetail_zps003415d6.jpg

That is darn impressive... as usual :0

I really wonder how you do all of that stuff. I'd like to sculpt some stuff myself and give it a go, but I have no real clue how to even get stuff like that made up. I am glad I can somewhat fill gaps on models and make it somewhat smooth and natural looking.

It's all a matter of practice. I started out gap filling, then went to adding little details to models, to building parts of limbs for reposing (cutting out knees and elbows is a fairly common one...). After a while I was doing stuff that was 50/50 model and sculpt, so I decided to work on sculpting full pieces.

If you slowly increase the amount of stuff you're tweaking on models, when you step over to scratch sculpts, it's less of a huge leap. There's still lots of tutorials and advice to read, and a ton of practice needed, but that's just the way it always goes!

It's all a matter of practice. I started out gap filling, then went to adding little details to models, to building parts of limbs for reposing (cutting out knees and elbows is a fairly common one...). After a while I was doing stuff that was 50/50 model and sculpt, so I decided to work on sculpting full pieces.

If you slowly increase the amount of stuff you're tweaking on models, when you step over to scratch sculpts, it's less of a huge leap. There's still lots of tutorials and advice to read, and a ton of practice needed, but that's just the way it always goes!

Hmm. I think I kind of know what you mean. There are plenty of nifty ideas I have for a few Bayou Gremlins that I would like to try. Is there a good way to remove putty material like green stuff off of a pewter model once you have had it cured? I may try some stuff out and if I do not like it, I would like to retry.

I think you posted a link to this one great GS tutorial page online. DO not recall on which page it was though. DO you by chance have it handy? I would like to delve into it a bit. :3

Off pewter? Just rip it off, generally. It won't bond to it unless you glue it in place, so you can typically cut it or tear it away from the metal. Just scrape off any little smudges that are left, and you're good to go.

Not sure what tutorial you're thinking of, but there's a lot out there and most of them are worth reading to see what you can pick up fom each.

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.ca/2010/01/massive-voodoo-sculpting-tutorial.html

Or there's one by Ramon Laan that I used when I first started (and would still use now, if I had it on my computer). Googling green stuff and his name should find it.

• 4 weeks later...