Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Alright, finally got something worth taking photos of! Cassandra is almost sorted, the black areas need to be painted but otherwise she's pretty much complete. Well, she needs a base too obviously :-P

I was going to do patterned stockings, but the space was too small for it to look right, so I went with fishnets instead. Possibly too fine, given the effort it took to paint them neatly! But they're done and I won't have to do it again with any luck...

casandrasword.jpg

Updates will be sporadic from now on since I'm moving, but I'll try to get some photos up every now and then!

Cheers! I was a little concerned the red and gold would be too much, since the green-blue is fairly saturated as well, but it seems to have worked ok. Today, I spent a bit of time fixing her elbow since it looks bruised on the right hand picture!

I have another showgirl primed, so she may get started once the black areas of Cassie are done, although I might go back and finish the night terrors and maye work more on jaakuna. I will finish one crew eventually! Which reminds me, I should really sculpt a shikome. Kirai looks lonely without one...

I'm also going to update my first post with group shots of each crew at some point. When I remember I want to do it when the camera's in my hands. Honest.

Thanks all! Now I wish there was a little icon of dogbert doing the evil dance...

Wierdly enough, I did those stockings while painting at a mate's house, after several coffees and more caffeine based drinks, in bad lighting. I'm really not sure how I got away with it! But it is testament to the rule of 'good brushes, thin paint' *grin*

Ok, I know I said I'd finish Cassie first, but I got a little distracted by testing out a new skin mixture. So meet the showgirl I've temporarily christened Lilia (until a more amusing name occurs to me!):

Liliaskin.jpg

Probably best not to ask exactly which skin tone I was aiming for, it just kind of developed this way, and I like it so there we go! *grin*

She may well be the focus of a step by step guide later, as I'm taking lots of photos and want to try out some things on her (oo-err).

Speaking of guides, not sure why the two in my thread stopped working but I've fixed them, and edited the first post to have space for future crew photos, and links to the guides I've done so far.

Guides would be damn interesting. I used to paint skin tones like that for quite a while. I would just brighten them up, bit by bit, as I added more highlights. Now I usually use washes to do shading for me. This usually works on smaller models (especially in faces). I will have to end up doing it again though for avatar Seamus. Haha.

Are you going to keep the crew in a teal/black color concept or make each show girl a colorful bird of paradise?

I don't often use washes, as I much prefer to have the control over every layer that painting each colour fully gives. Most of my paints are thinned to be half glazes, and the rest are fully thinned to glaze with. Washes usually only see use when I want to knock back some highlights and push in some extra colours without mixing them into the other paints. As shading tools, im not a big fan of them. Lilia's skin for example did use a wash or two, but as a glaze to give a second depth to the colours once the layers were already there.

They'll all be in the cold colour area, not just teal but across blue, greenish and purplish.

I don't mind GW brushes although to be fair I haven't bought any in a good long while. Don't know if that says anything about me (not using them enough) or the longevity of GW brushes.

I know there are better brands out there and GW charges a premium to put their logo on things. Be informative to see how competition stacks up at their price point.

D.

For the UK, you really really can't beat Rosemary and co brushes in my opinion, tho some may disagree. They hold a point really well, and the series 22 and 33 ones are ideal for mini painting just with different amounts of springiness in the tips (technical term there). I use a size 0, 1 and 2 (mostly the 1 If I'm honest, and the 0 for insides of eyes and freehand).

They're a lot cheaper than Windsor and Newton (the GW masters brushes were those with GW branding), last pretty well with basic half arsed care (which is how I look after mine) and they turn up really fast. Plus you can ask Rosemary about which she recommends, I know for a fact she's been working with some mini painters up here to develop some brushes specially for us!

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/

Ok, still sidetracked. But I wanted to paint this dress right from the start, almost as much as I wanted to paint Cassandra's!

liliadress.jpg

I've also put a group shot of kirai's crew in my first post, for those that want to see the whole bunch. Hopefully you can see the bases matching up, making a garden with a winding path and a stream.

The dress is gorgeous! Can't wait to see her finished.

I've also put a group shot of kirai's crew in my first post, for those that want to see the whole bunch. Hopefully you can see the bases matching up, making a garden with a winding path and a stream.

will you be doing a display base of some sort to better tie the models together? because I could see the path / garden theme going through the bases, but I'm not sure I'd have seen it if it weren't for your text here...

other than that, the crew is awesome!

Yeah, when I get the time and inclination I'll sort out a display that has a ruined tea garden feel to it. Didn't want to really start that until I'd finished filling out her crew, as it's always a pain to add extra people in to those things afterwards!

Eventually, there'll be Jaakuna, a Shikome or two, a pair of night terrors, her avatar (tho on a display that might be odd, having kirai conscious and passed out next to each other...)

Oh, and then anything else that comes along in the meantime!

I've sort of left myself with a problem now with the showgirls, since now I have to come up with a bunch more dresses that are as fun and interesting as the first two! Also got to try and keep the feather motif going through the crew (Cassandra will get some subtle feathers on her gloves when I paint them to make her match). Probably should have been lazier, but that dress only took an hour or so, it's a pretty simple process. As usual, it seemed like a good idea at the time *grin*

Seems to be easy to miss! Ah well, I'll do it the same time as I do the gloves. With the dress and skin out the way, it's down to little stuff really, so it's no big deal to add it in.

Still, given how much care I put into that dress, I feel quite special for not noticing a whole piece of clothing...