Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Yeah, the dress is the bit I like the most so far, it's actually copied from one someone I knew had.

And thanks for the welcome, with any luck I'll be able to stay there and not get shipped back to blighty any time soon! Just got a small mountain of paperwork to do to rent out my flat, and sort out my visa...

On the bright side, I'm a lot closer to GenCon this way!

Cheers guys, the dress was the original bit of Cassandras paintjob that I decided on, the rest has just happened around it.

I guess I'll have to get used to distances being so much greater, 3.5 hours is halfway down the country here! still, a couple of months to get my visa sorted, and I'll arrive just in time to melt in the summer eat I guess...

I've had a few friends from Europe who have a hard time getting used to the distances here. 3.5 hours here doesn't even get you to the next province. My mother lives in Ontario too and she's a 7 hour drive from here...

But you're right about GenCon. We went last year. Totally worth the super-long drive.

Yeah, my parents lived in New York for a few years when I started at uni, so I got a taste of it (8 hours driving for a weekend away... Madness!) but living there will be totally different I suspect.

And driving to gencon? How long did that take? I was assuming flying would be easier and not too crazy expensive!

Well, from Toronto to Indianapolis, the drive is 889kms and according to google maps, takes 9 hours and 11 minutes. Thats not actually all that terrible. You would also have to factor in the time needed to get out of Toronto (After living there for 18 years, I still haven't gotten used to judging how much time is needed to fight the traffic). Then there is the time spent at the border waiting...

So yes, flying is probably your best bet. On a happier note, the Canadian Dollar is about on par with its American counterpart right now!

It is a bit of a shock for Europeans to get used to the distance traveled between major cities. It likewise for North American's going over the Europe.

Her makeup started with a base coat of astronomican grey, blended up to white. I then painted the smeared mascara using black with a tiny bit of brown in it. Her eyes were painted as lines in the black, using deck tan (any grey will do really, but not pure white as it makes the eyes look too staring). Then I dotted in a middle brown, and a tiny dot of black to cover most of the brown. Anywhere I'd not got a smooth edge to the eye was then retouched with dilute black/brown.

Her lips were painted with dark red with a little flesh colour in to take out some of the intensity, the black/brown was used to draw thin lines for the eyebrows, and some pinky purple (GWs old warlock purple) was glazed in very thin for some extra interest and to match proper geisha makeup.

It sounds like a lot of effort, but the key I've found with makeup is to keep it subtle (aside from the white face of course!). Very thin glazes of colour go a long way. And always mix in a bit of your skin colour into them before using them, so they look less stark.

Oh, and never use white for eyes, always grey.

Cheers guys, being such a slow painter does get kind of annoying, I lose momentum and willpower usually before finishing stuff. All the comments give me the enthusiasm to actually finish stuff!

I've done a little more work on Cassandra, her hair's coming together, she's got eyeshadow on, and by the weekend I'm hoping to get new pics up with her even closer to finished. She really needs some eyebrows, that's beginning to drive me mad now...

There's a couple of months to go til all the paperwork is processed, so I'll be around a little longer, trying to choose the handful of models I'll be taking with me initially!

Her makeup started with a base coat of astronomican grey, blended up to white. I then painted the smeared mascara using black with a tiny bit of brown in it. Her eyes were painted as lines in the black, using deck tan (any grey will do really, but not pure white as it makes the eyes look too staring). Then I dotted in a middle brown, and a tiny dot of black to cover most of the brown. Anywhere I'd not got a smooth edge to the eye was then retouched with dilute black/brown.

Her lips were painted with dark red with a little flesh colour in to take out some of the intensity, the black/brown was used to draw thin lines for the eyebrows, and some pinky purple (GWs old warlock purple) was glazed in very thin for some extra interest and to match proper geisha makeup.

It sounds like a lot of effort, but the key I've found with makeup is to keep it subtle (aside from the white face of course!). Very thin glazes of colour go a long way. And always mix in a bit of your skin colour into them before using them, so they look less stark.

Oh, and never use white for eyes, always grey.

Sorry to be a pest but I'm very new to painting and I'm not exactly clear on all your terms. When you say 'blended' her skin to white do you mean blending the initial mix of grey paint or do you mean progressively putting on whiter shades of highlights?

Newbie-friendly tips much appreciated!

No problem, feel free to question when you don't understand, it's the way forward!

I started with pure astronomican gray (I don't often use foundations as they're a pain to work with). Then I added a little white to the grey, just enough to change the colour visibly, diluted it out until it was fairly thin, and painted that on in a thin layer. The blending is then done on the wet paint using a clean damp brush to feather the edges of that new layer so it merges with the original gray base coat. Added a little more white and repeated on smaller and smaller areas, until the very last layer was pure white.

So it's really a series of thin layers with increasing amounts of white added in, all the way up to pure white, with some careful brushwork to smooth the joins between layers.

Hope that helps!

I'm not sure you need any of my talent bleach, I've looked at your thread and that peach pastel highlight is fantastic! It's good to see another person that rarely uses white to highlight with too. Although I have to admit I've used it to brighten Cassandras dress, but then I wanted full intense colour for it so had to really.

I was goin to paint a little today and put up a new photo, but I appear to have scratched my eye so am wearing a patch for the day. And no depth perception makes painting really hard!

I definitely do, in my opinion! I am still pretty sloppy and would love to paint as detailed as you can. Especially when looking at that showgirl's dress... *jaw drop*

Sometimes its good to use white as a highlight base and other times its better to mix with other colors. I could have used a white base with the grey tone for those parts of the models. But that would have clashed with the bright orange as it is also pretty bright. Another option I thought about was using blue, since I originally paired grey with orange as grey tends to appear rather blueish which can give a nice contrast to orange.

Went for peaches though. Haha.

Yeah, choosing your highlight gets complicated when you venture out of the standard choices, but the effect is often worth it!

And freehand isn't too hard really, it's mostly a matter of patience, practice, good brushes and the right thinness of paint! Oh, and planning it first. Sad as it sounds, I drew most of that pattern out before I started...

It is quite fun, thinking up schemes that can work with such highlights. I plan to have different combos for all of my crews. My Neverborn one is going to work with browns and pinks. Haha. I still wanted to make a Hamelin/Colette Crew some time and would end up using something nice there too. I still will use 'traditional' highlighting forms though. It really depends on the look you want to achieve.

I used to freehand with standards for Warhammer 40k. I haven't painted those models in over 8 years. Hahaha. So I am surely rusty.

I would probably scetch the image I want to get with a thin pencil before I paint it. Doesn't have to be on super thick either. Just enough so you know where to put the paint brush.