Outcasts vs Everyone Else

Joasht

I've nearly decided on playing Outcasts because everyone else here doesn't play it, but it begs the question; why does it feel like they are underplayed, or is this just a local thing?

How do they compare with the other factions in terms of power? I'm not asking for "Are they going to steamroller everyone so I can play with my brain off", but rather, "is it going to be an uphill battle all the time, sapping the fun out of my games"?

Thanks!

The thing with Outcasts are they are really 4 totally separate crews.. You quite often find people will have an Outcast crew they like.. I have Mercenaries. But unlike most factions where when you have one crew it's really easy to move into another crew and share some models, with Outcasts you can't.

Therefore it quite common for people to have 2 or even 3 crews from a faction. But it's far less likely they will have 2 or 3 crews from the Outcasts.

The other wierd thing is that some outcast crews can grow out of collecting another faction easier than from collecting another outcast crew. If your a resser, you quite often pick up Leveticus as he can use 80% of your models. If you have Zoraida you can expand into gremlins quite easily.

In terms of power, I'd say outcasts are up there, probably second to Neverborn IMO.

Levi- The most powerful offensive spellcaster in the game, and to go off what ratty said, he can hire any undead or construct models in the game.

Hamelin- Despite maybe posts claiming he's "broken" he is just simply very powerful, probably second best in the game to Colette.

Mercs- Mercs include the Viktorias, Von Schill and all mercenary minions. They are incredibly versatile, as they can hire mercs to fit any situation, and they are relatively straight forward.

Gremlins- Gremlins can be very nasty in the right hands, but they have a very steep learning curve. They do, however, have the potential to be the best shooty crew in the game once the Pigapult comes out.

Owning every model to date, (except this months releases) I started with nicodem, and after reading Levi I picked him up as ratty said almost every model I owned I could use with Levi. So you may start branching to other crews.

But Levi has a little learning curve IMO, and hamelin as well. The Victorias are good and straight forward, and somer teeth is very fun, but may require alot of gremlins.

But again like ratty said outcasts don't really work together model wise. They have their own synergies with their own crews.

I started with the Outcasts for pretty much the same reason, because everyone at my LGS had already picked up one of the other faction box sets. I'm still the only Gremlin player there too!! Outcasts are not underpowered in anyway, especially when you consider that Outcasts hold two masters considered to be in the "top tier" (Leveticus and Hamelin the Plagued). Unlike the other factions though, model crossover between the 4 Masters is usually impossible due the some of their strict model restrictions. Gremlins use Gremlins, Viks use mercs, Levi uses undead and constructs (and sometimes both!), and Hamelin uses rats/soulless etc. This is why I only own/play Gremlins as my Outcast faction, and not any of the others. Another issue is Soul Stone Cache. Outcast masters don't have a Cache, so they often have to sacrifice having a larger crew in favor of more soul stones or vice versa. Don't worry about those "downsides" too much, though. Playing Outcast crews will not suck the fun out of your games in anyway, they are just as good as any other faction out there! Hope that helps!

i'd say they are the most competitive faction simply because of the variety. You have no idea what to expect when your opponent says he is playing Outcasts, and they all play very differently and have very different counters.

the reason they are underplayed (if at all) is because like people said each crew is like a different faction pretty much, which little to no cross-over models, making it more expensive than other factions to collect multiple masters in.

I consider the outcast faction more of a coalition than a faction, due to the build restrictions. This may be a reason why its not played as much in your LGS. But in my LGS we have it as a secondary game after WM\H and the Victoria is probably the most common box sold.

The Gremelins are the comic relief of the game, and fun reckless play style.

Each merc is a stand alone model and does not rely on any synergies. This allows them to mix in other factions well

Levi and Hamelin technically can mix, but are each their own independent crew. I'm not a fan of them because I like flexability in my lists, but if you want a solid list you can pull out they are not a bad choice.

Malifaux in general is not like WM\H were you pick a faction and stick to it. You can dabble crews from different factions.