How does Puppet Wars play?

So, for the first time in 7 years, I won't be able to make it to Gencon. I already have some good ideas on what I want to buy for Malifaux, but I have no idea what Puppet Wars will be like.

Is there any chance we will get some kind of demo rules or overview of the game prior to Gencon? All I know is it is on some kind of hex board and features puppet versions of Malifaux models. That is it.

I am interested, but before trying to buy it, I would like to know more about the game.

Also, as I would like to possibly plan to buy from the store during Gencon, pricing for the game and expansions (and what are in the expansion boxes) would be very helpful.

Nathan or Eric, can you help shed some light here?

we know it is a hex based board game, which can be arranged in many different ways. Tokens that either give buffs or objectives. Models that may be used by "anyone" but certain models/synergies work better than others. ANY of the models can be used in a regular malifaux game, though some of them are not on the "proper" bases (puppet executioner is on a smaller base than his regular malifaux form).

from what we know of the box it brings board, tokens, 2 decks of puppet cards, puppets enough for two people so anywhere between 12-18? With that rough information in hand i would optimistically say that it would fall in the $50-60 range. Boosters of 6-8? miniatures would run $20+ if you want some really rough numbers.

we know it is a hex based board game, which can be arranged in many different ways. Tokens that either give buffs or objectives. Models that may be used by "anyone" but certain models/synergies work better than others. ANY of the models can be used in a regular malifaux game, though some of them are not on the "proper" bases (puppet executioner is on a smaller base than his regular malifaux form).

from what we know of the box it brings board, tokens, 2 decks of puppet cards, puppets enough for two people so anywhere between 12-18? With that rough information in hand i would optimistically say that it would fall in the $50-60 range. Boosters of 6-8? miniatures would run $20+ if you want some really rough numbers.

I heard EricJ in podcast interview mention a $200 box set where you can get all of them or something to that effect.

Saw in one of the above threads that the starter brings 18 miniatures so i may be off by a bit. Good thing i'm splitting the set with a friend, though i know some of my other friends want their own sets.

$200 isn't so bad considering the first "wave" of releases is something like 38+ models, you factor in that might not include the models in the "box set" and its a VERY healthy choice of models you can pick from. So ballpark about $4 a model? Box set costs slightly more because of all the extra stuff it brings.

I know it was also hinted that the puppet wars cards had a few hints of the game? Though i cannot vouch for that as i do not own any of them..

I heard EricJ in podcast interview mention a $200 box set where you can get all of them or something to that effect.

I am fairly certain that the entire range would cost about $200, but I do not think that it will all be condensed into one boxed set. That's the price of all the sets put together. (I believe) Not that you would even need more than the starter set to play.

I will do my best to make a demo video and upload it as early in gencon as I can. Keep an eye out for it, I'll make a thread in this forum.

Oi I'll help to!

I got the 2 pink feather boa's we needed, but I'm having a hard time tracking down the Guy Fawkes mask that are made up to look like Puppets.

I was not asking anyone to share any NDA info, I am just searching for info I haven't heard of and see if the powers that be at Wyrd are planning to give out more details prior to Gencon.

For those who did try to post useful info (excluding you Jake) thanks for the help!

You can never tell what Eric will release before it happens XD

Most likely you will see more and more information on it and by the time Gencon rolls around you should get just about everything there is to know about it.

Keep following Puppet Wars on Facebook for more updates, stuff is getting dolled out there a piece at a time. So you never know what you'll get.

It's funny, when a friend of mine asked me about it last night, I realized I really didn't know what to tell him. I don't actually KNOW any details about how the game works or what it actually IS. C'mon gang, veil of secrecy is fun, but three weeks out we should start to learn a little bit about the product, right?

Info coming soon, don't worry!

I've just been a little...errr busy lately making sure everything will actually be at Gencon. Now perhaps if we cut back a few avatars, half the p-wars boosters...my life would be easier :D

Don't you dare, I've already made an appointment for the operation and have been paid in full, also I've bloodied my hands too much for me to be denied the chance to throw exessive amounts of money at Wyrd. How can anyone else compete for my dangerous affection?

As for Puppet Wars info, meet me in a dark alley and I'll tell you everything, just don't let anyone follow you. Bring a needle and thread.. and cash of course, lots of cash..

Thats more like it, we swore a puppet oath to EricJ, he can rip out our stuffing if we break it.

I wouldn't worry about Eric or his Oath. You signed an NDA and one has to wonder what kind of Lawyers a company that makes games like this would hire. :)

I am actually I stayed out of the Puppet Wars playtest. Testing is fun but you lose a lot of the surprise of whats new when something comes out.

Info coming soon, don't worry!

I've just been a little...errr busy lately making sure everything will actually be at Gencon. Now perhaps if we cut back a few avatars, half the p-wars boosters...my life would be easier :D

well I suppose that's an okay-ish excuse :happypuppet1 but when are you announcing the winner of the twitter draw? :confusedpuppet

Edited by aka_hazard