Stern's project log

Stern

Doh, Ninja'd by the OP...

One quick question then, in the past when i've tried those horrible metal frame trees that you are supposed to add clump foliage to i had zero luck in getting the foliage to actually stay on the armature.

Yours looks very robust and not "spongy" like i would have expected from clump foliage. Have you varnished them or is there some technique to how you glued them all togeather to make them tougher as yours appear to be quite hard.

Doh, Ninja'd by the OP...

One quick question then, in the past when i've tried those horrible metal frame trees that you are supposed to add clump foliage to i had zero luck in getting the foliage to actually stay on the armature.

Yours looks very robust and not "spongy" like i would have expected from clump foliage. Have you varnished them or is there some technique to how you glued them all togeather to make them tougher as yours appear to be quite hard.

The trees like the one on Kaeris' base

DSC04647.jpg

These are infact not the armatures but GW plastic trees, I have hacked them up and fixed them to the base, They are much sturdier and look better than any of the armatures, The armatures are good for dead trees and branches

That's some awesome stuff!

How did you cast the burning counters and flame walls?

The flame walls and counters are very simple to make... Get a base create a very simple wire/ tree armature frame to hold it in place... then fix a ton of foliage to it... Prime it a few times with black then go to town with drybrushing... I did a tutorial once on anther forum I will see if I can dig it up... failing that I will make another basing tutorial :)

Nice work Stern :thumb:

Thank you very much guys love to hear you like them!

Edited by Stern

• 2 months later...
very cool stuff here dude , your stuff is getting better as well !

Thanks a load! That does mean alot to me that you think so :)

Little more for me to show you! In the form of My Leveticus crew I dug out and re-based just for the Masters... Where I managed to swipe up a best painted award :P

anyways for the Pictures...

Levi, Waif and Dog

DSC04712.jpg

SPA's and DE

DSC04711.jpg

Dead Rider and Grave Spirit

DSC04710.jpg

Base Close up

DSC04714.jpg

Collodi and his toys

DSC04709.jpg

DSC04713.jpg

The bases do all interlock into a display base (along with other bases) I have planned for the rest of my Neverborn crew I am now working on

DSC04715.jpg

Thats all for now... I have lots more to show you but my Camera has done one

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Howdy peeps... been a while since I last posted, but never fear I have been working and have some toys i'd like to share with you all...

First of all I found a partner to provide me with admin work and tactical advice for the UK doubles GT where I 'I mean we' scored a respectable 3rd place using Ramos as our team leader, with Kaeris, Levi and even Collodi with his entire entourage of 8 Marionettes and Jack Daw made an appearance! - here is a selection of some of the toys I took. - and my team mates claim to fame with the name sticker :)

Arcanists-1.jpg

And after the GT and realising what I can achieve with a Steambourg alongside Avatar Ramos and a Student, despite what people say, I have crafted a new Steambourg with 6 legs some little feelers a bigger boiler and a massive base! - Hope you enjoy him he does stand 3" tall now!

IMG00167-20120321-0123.jpg

IMG00169-20120321-0124.jpg

More to come... But I have become lazy with posting - I blame work personally

... Shouldn't be long now

Edited by Stern

Some truly amazing stuff here, I'm really impressed.

And as a Sonnia player (in part) I'm very much intrigued by your way of making fire. Would be very interested in reading that tutorial you spoke of. Is it enough to prime that clump foliage a few times to make it hard and stiff so to be easy to brush?

• 2 weeks later...
Some truly amazing stuff here, I'm really impressed.

And as a Sonnia player (in part) I'm very much intrigued by your way of making fire. Would be very interested in reading that tutorial you spoke of. Is it enough to prime that clump foliage a few times to make it hard and stiff so to be easy to brush?

Thanks buddy The clump foliage is best being superglued to a sturdy wire frame(or i guess any sturdy frame of puttty, rocks, whatever you have), thats where the strength comes from really, then i blitzed it with black primer through the airbrush but multiple coats of black primer spray will do the job perfectly... Just take it easy on the drybrushing or use a real soft brush. Thanks for the interest.. I think i'll have to make some tutorials for you guys soon :)

Thanks for the feedback guys... I have a few thinks to upload later on today once I manage to find where my camera has been hiding (little devil loves buggering off when he is needed)

Edited by Stern
gramnar badd

Got some Random pictures to show you guys from a few recent projects

To start everyone's favorite Arcanist Master Marcus

IMG00197-20120403-1440.jpg

IMG00198-20120403-1441.jpg

Next two more LSPA

IMG00204-20120403-1443.jpg

IMG00205-20120403-1443.jpg

Joss

IMG00202-20120403-1442.jpg

IMG00203-20120403-1442.jpg

Sheriff Coburn (Gunsmith/ Sue Proxy)

IMG00200-20120403-1441.jpg

IMG00201-20120403-1442.jpg

next an update from the interlocking bases

IMG00226-20120403-1452.jpg

and some close ups of these awesome little dolls

IMG00220-20120403-1451.jpg

IMG00221-20120403-1451.jpg

IMG00222-20120403-1451.jpg

IMG00224-20120403-1451.jpg

and one very old mini I painted

IMG00210-20120403-1446.jpg

And another

IMG00228-20120403-1456.jpg

IMG00229-20120403-1456.jpg

and the newest version of my Ashes and Dust WIP (third version I believe)

IMG00183-20120327-1417.jpg

IMG00185-20120327-1417.jpg

Marcus looks really well painted!

I must say Marcus started purely as an experiment.... I am pleased with how he came out

Everything you touch turns to awesome! That Jackdaw is freakin' amazing! And the shading and highlighting on all of the clothing is just utterly fantastic.

Thanks guys... glad you like my style of work :)