To Suimmon or Not to Summon

Hi guys,

As a Malifaux virgin I've plump for Resser's as my Crews of choice (I mean who can resist Zombie Hookers right?!) & I've been reading lots of threads on where to start with masters and which models to summon and which to start with in the crew.

I realise that personal choice has a lot to play in Crew selection but I wondered if some of the more Seasoned Resser players might list models it's optimal to summon over starting Crew.

So far I've kinda worked out:

Summon:

Flesh Construct

Punk Zombies

Rogue Necromancy

Thanks

PvD

I'm no expert here, because I am more of a McM dude, but AFAIK it is a very good idea to start with some Dead Hookers on the table. Seamus has lots of synergy with them and he is really not much of a summoner and usually can do better things than create Belles.

I tend to look at Seamus spell as more of a reset button than an active summon. He doesn't usually have a way of starting with a corpse counter without taking something expendable, etc.

What I've been doing lately is just using it to raise a Belle after one dies. So the other crew goes to the trouble of killing her and then I just bring her right back.

Eeeeeeevil....

yea, i agree. With seamus you want to use the -2WP aura almost every turn as it makes belles better and and you terryfying harder to resist. only summon if you either need to make a quick break for an objective with you spending him to get it. (any counter in 6", summon 6" away, then mv6)

yea, i agree. With seamus you want to use the -2WP aura almost every turn as it makes belles better and and you terryfying harder to resist. only summon if you either need to make a quick break for an objective with you spending him to get it. (any counter in 6", summon 6" away, then mv6)

I would disagree with this, however it's got enough truth in it to make it a valid statment.

the (0) action that removes -2 Wp is great. So good in fact that you won't want to summon a Belle if there is a chance of not getting the summon off. As the spell needs a 17:crows:crows there are only 5 cards that can get it off naturally, If your willing to spend Soulstones I would up that to 8 cards. Is it worth risking it on a flip when the -2 Wp is so good, rarely.

However if you have the cards in hands over a 6 turn game an extra Belle is far better than the -2Wp aura, especially if you activate Seamus late in the turn. the -2Wp aura is a bit pointless if it's going to disappear almost immediately.

Also sometimes it's best to hold the card for a turn where you don't need the (0) action for something better. Sometimes you need to put Seamus in danger to get his shot off, being able to womanize a Belle to lure him out of danger is sometimes much more important than having another Belle immediately.

So if you don't have the cards in hand don't bother trying is what I'm really trying to say.

Exactly, if I get the High Crow in my hand I'll start looking for a corpse token, etc. But it's pretty situational.

Or you do the "shoot your own Belle" trick to get some healing for Seamus, etc. *Then* raise her back.

Yeah do that all the time in Slaughter games. Oh your about to kill a Belle.. Live for Pain and resummon.. What's that you didn't get any SS for her... diddums.

I've been playing Seamus primarily so far (not that long but a decent number of games) and i'm a bit inclined to disagree with using the -2 wp most turns. It's good, but your bells start at an 8 Ca for using Lure anyhow, unless it's a turn where you really need to pull something i think raising a belle, even if it means burning a soulstone to be successful is generally more effective. The only time i really have trouble getting Lure off frequently is against all stubborn armies like von schill, then it's a hassle and the -2wp makes it work well, but by and large if you're using the -2wp just for lures you better be doing some important luring. -shrug-

In the end it all depends on the situation anyhow, to assure getting my objective the other day i shot my cck in the face to use his corpse to make a belle and bring out Bete, worked out great, got me my objectives and put some extra activations on the table when i needed them.

Seamus should start off with at least one Belle and generally 2. Like Ratty I only summon if I have the hand for it and often its replenishing the ones I have already lost or I start low one the Belles (say only 1) and take a crooked man who also works well with Seamus and when the crooked man dies resummon him as a belle.

The most I have summoned in a single game is 3 extra belles usually its only 1 or 2, remember that its discard a corpse counter within 6" and then summon a belle so its summoned postion can be a fair bit of a distance away from where the corpse was.

Bringing it back to the OP, you want to save your summons for expensive models SS wise. For McM i nearly always summon flesh constructs (although a rogue is certainly ideal here as well) and never buy them as the start. For Seamus his summons are quite limited so i always bring a punk along as well as a couple of belles, as the others mentioned he has better options for his (0) action in many situations. For Nico, i'm just getting into him but it seems more of the cheap units like dogs, necropunks, crooked men & belles are better at the start and when the bodies start piling up you get more bang for you corpse counter bringing in the high SS models.

I rarely summon with Seamus as well, but a lil' trick I've used when playing him is to summon one off corpse counters near ranged models.

Last two games vs Sonnia I summoned a Belle within walking distance of her, and "wham!" she has to either kill the belle or try to disengage, which is risky and costs AP in order to blast anything worth blasting. Should work equally well versus other models that prefers to be at a distance, once corpse counters starts piling up. Plus, you get to giggle wickedly when you do it.

Is there any Henchman that can use corpse counters?

A couple, Molly, Mortimer, and Sebastian are all able to create things from corpse counters. The Canine Remains have graverobber so they can pick up the counters to bring them back to their associated master. There are also some random other ones that can make use of counters. The Freikorps Trapper uses them to make heal flips on himself if i'm not mistaken, an ability called "Jerky Time" or something.

Hope that helps.

Edit - Heh was thinking you meant minions when i read that =D Whoops!

Edited by gmgriffith
fixing something