Vancouver riots...

Hi all,

I have created this thread to discuss the recent/current behaviour in the streets of Vancouver, Canada, which was incited by a loss in the Stanley Cup.

Now, we all understand that hockey is mroe than a sport to some people. it appears to be held as a religion to these fans of the Canucks (sp).

I find the behaviour that is being screened by the media simply disgusting. However, upon remarking to a friend who lives in Montreal, this is nthing compared to the last time this happened...

What are your thoughts?

NB. There is enough footage on YouTube to explain this where words fail, however, much of it contains language, and I am hesitant to post them.

However, there is a particularly entertaining video of someone receiving a flashbang grenade to the junk/crotch.

To be honest I seriously doubt if the idiots doing the rioting could class themselves as true fans of the team. If they are then they need to realise there is more to life than hockey!

I know in the UK that the najority of trouble caused at soccer games is started by organised thugs just looking for an excuse to brawl.

But passions will run high in games such as these, and there will be altercations inevitably, but full scale rioting suggests to me general idiots jumping on a bandwagon....

To be honest I seriously doubt if the idiots doing the rioting could class themselves as true fans of the team. If they are then they need to realise there is more to life than hockey!

I know in the UK that the majority of trouble caused at football games is started by organised thugs just looking for an excuse to brawl.

But passions will run high in games such as these, and there will be altercations inevitably, but full scale rioting suggests to me general idiots jumping on a bandwagon....

Yeh my thoughts exacitly.

I hate people who this sort of thing, they the sport down and through the mud

As a Montrealer I'm welll aware of the situation. the Montreal Canadian used to have what was the 7 year itch, which ment that we never went more than 7 years without winning the stanley cup (but thats over now... its been a while) every time they won there was a VICTORY RIOT. Don't ask me why it started, I'm not a huge hockey fan. I was in the area in 1993 (like I said been a while) and heading home to avoid any issues, I saw people coming out of the metros in order to join the event.

Now every time Montreal is in the play-offs there are special things going on. Once the police\city actually hired street musicians and surrounded the building to hopeful sooth the savage beast as it came out of the stadium. Otherwise stuff like this happens.

personally I'm not a hockey fan, and hope the Canadian don't get into the playoffs so I don't have to hear about how this is the year we are going all the way. But last time I said that in my work cafeteria I was immediately surrounded by hockey fans who came close to stoning me.

In some places hockey is not a sport its a religion. With any religion expect to have fanatics, and those that will take advantage of the believers/situation.

Anyone that gets this worked up about a sports game is an idiot and frankly the world would be better off without them since they are clearly psychologically deranged.

The people who volunteered to help clean up afterwards should be applauded. The rioters should be ashamed of themselves for being so sub-human.

Puppets are into everything...

Here, in Czech republic, situation was similar a few times, but as Absolution Black said - it´s not about fans, it´s about beer, stupidity and agression...and they just need a reason.

We have an infamous football club, Baník Ostrava. Well, and I have seen, that the Police with Riot squad speciliast "quards" them in other cities in numbers like 2 : 1, they get special subway wagon / bus and they´re not allowed into "normal" city.