Rules question: If a player opts to pass cheating once still cheat?

phreakstorm

Question

For example, Player A is losing an opposed duel. He gets first dibs to cheat but chooses to pass and Player B cheats even though he may be winning the duel (to get a higher combat total modifier for example), does the option then pass back to Player A who can now decide if he wants to cheat?

Page 28 of v2 rulebook under point 2 states "If both models pass changing their totals, move on to Step 3 below." In this case, Player B did not pass changing his total. Does the chance then go "back & forth" until both players pass? Of course this just takes the "chance" into consideration as a player can only cheat once. Same qn goes for soulstone usage during opposed duels.

Tried searching the forums for any question similiar to this but didn't get any hits. Sorry if this has been asked before.

11 answers to this question

Someone with more rules knowledge than I have may be along to answer this in depth, but for now I can give you my interpretation of the rule :) On page 28 of the Rules Manual, for Determine Final Duel Totals (Step 3) it says:

"This is determined after both models have had an opportunity to change their starting Duel totals."

Also on page 28, for step 2 it says:

"A model may choose to pass and not use either option."

To my understanding, player A has been given the opportunity to change his duel total, but instead chose to pass and not use either Soulstone or cheating fate. Player B decides to cheat fate. Both players have been given the opportunity to change the duel total, with player A deciding not to use either option, so it moves into step 3.

Thanks Allidor. Hmmm....sounds like it could possibly be interpreted in a couple of ways... Maybe we could have one of the rules writers from Wyrd swing by and rule on it. Do they pop in often?

There are Marshals who make official rulings. They have badges under their names.

I think if it was intended for the first player to get another chance at cheating it would be explicitly stated that the chance would come back to them.

As Allidor points out, you get your opportunity to change your total, and then after both players have had an opportunity you move to the next stage.

From the wording that's in the manual, it's going too far to extrapolate an extra round of cheating/Soulstones.

Mike

So I had a henchman tell me yesterday that you can soulstone then cheat either card is this true? As far as I knew you had to cheat then soulstone... was there a rules change? Is there an easy to find and read faq or errata online?

No way dude. You either cheat then soulstone. Or just cheat, or just soulstone. But if you just soulstone you can't cheat either result cause that would be insane.

You could flip a 2 then soulstone a 13 and then cheat your 2 to a 12 or whatever would be crazy.

So I had a henchman tell me yesterday that you can soulstone then cheat either card is this true? As far as I knew you had to cheat then soulstone... was there a rules change? Is there an easy to find and read faq or errata online?

You must cheat first. Using a soulstone only allows you to flip another card and add the total. You don't get to pick and choose which card to cheat.