Hamlin = No fun playing Malifaux anymore

theHman

So I played my first game against Hamlin the Plagued and I have to say that he is stupid.

He really takes away the fun of playing Malifaux.

Even my buddy playing him was hating the stupidity and didn't have fun.

Between rats being summoned when ANYTHING dies (how is a rat summoned from a mechanical spider?),

The catchers summoning more rats, Nix having a ton of free (0) actions,

The stolen making my guys insignificant thereby stopping them from attacking Hamlin..

A near infinite loop of activations with the rats...

Blight counters out the wazoo..

I'm sorry, but Hamlin is just dumb. Love his background story, but he is way too ridiculous.

How on earth are you supposed to beat him?

It's rules breaking abilities and silly rules like his that take away the enjoyment of the game.

Hamlin is verry good yes, not unbeatable however, when playing against him you need to use different tactics thats all, just like playing against the dreamer or colette etc.. See the other recent posts on hamlin for advice on playing against him, it involves picking different schemes and making some intelligent crew selections.

Excuse me adding another question to this thread...basically the same, but from the other perspective...

I have been thinking of collecting a Hamelin crew, but I don't want to be guilty of jumping on the powergaming band wagon. I remember similar discussion when LCB first came out, and I think he is just as hard to counter especially if you haven't played against him before.

Are people having fun with Hamelin? And if you are, are your opponents?

well personally, i like playing against a hard crew, this makes it axciting and funny untik the very end, master/henchman like lucius, zoraida, lilith and justice do this, but LCB and Hamlin,, well, i don't like them,, hamlin is a spammer,, and even if you kill the ratcather or hamelin they will come back,, it's annoying,,

You cant really judge a master after only playing against him once. I often lose to masters the first time I play them as I dont know all there tricks. Once I have played them a few times they get much easier to beat.

Go back and play Hamlin a few more times. He is hard but there are ways around his tricks you just have to know what he can do.

So I played my first game against Hamlin the Plagued and I have to say that he is stupid.

This might be the first problem.

I sometimes have the same reaction first time I get crushed by a force but after reading, thinking and losing some more I tend to figure out at least a way to get a fighting chance.

But yeah, my first impression of him was.. "what the hell am I going to do" especially if I took my gremlins

Excuse me adding another question to this thread...basically the same, but from the other perspective...

I have been thinking of collecting a Hamelin crew, but I don't want to be guilty of jumping on the powergaming band wagon. I remember similar discussion when LCB first came out, and I think he is just as hard to counter especially if you haven't played against him before.

Are people having fun with Hamelin? And if you are, are your opponents?

I've played as Hamelin a few times and against him quite a bit. I will say the games against him are always challenging but when I gave him a try myself, it helped me understand where his week points are. So that alone was worth the experience.

But I can not lie to you, is is viewed as one of the meanest masters in the game. Weither he is or not is up to you to decide. But he is most certainly beatable. You just have to stop, slow down and think about his crew and how it works. As others have said, smart Scheme choice is often a key to this and I've spent whole games literally not dealing with Hamelin once. I'll take Movement based Schemes and just do enough to thwart his Schemes.

SIDE NOTE!

If anyone is interested, the Wiki page on Hamelin could use some attention for a how to beat him section. Could really use someone to step up for this =)

Complains of this kind usually mean someone used misunderstood rules...

Kind of this.

The catchers summoning more rats, Nix having a ton of free (0) actions,

A near infinite loop of activations with the rats...

Blight counters out the wazoo..

My first game with Hamelin was a bit different.

Ryle fires. Nix gone. Lesson learned, dont put him to far to the front.

Ryle fires. Ratcatcher gone. Lesson learned, put him near rats for armor bonus. 2 rats down.

Ryle fires. Ratcatcher gone. Again. Lesson learned, Ryle doesnt care about 6 wounds with armor 2. Another 2 rats down.

And i bought him because of the OMG HAMELIN super ownage threads to pwn people. How can this happen?

Ironic mode, obviously...

He is however one of the most annoying masters to play against, most games become a slow grind. Not unbeatable nor overpowered just not the most enjoyable of games.

So things to keep in mind Terrifying cause Hamlin no end of problems. If you build your crew around that idea you'll see the hoard of rats run off the board quickly.

Well it certainly didn't help that I had the Slaughter scheme...

I was playing Ramos.

Took Joss, the convict, toolbot, a swarm and 2 single spiders turning it into a swarm on my 1st turn.

So no Ryle to save my a$$.

Plus, I was also at a negative flip for everything I was trying to do when near his crew. Making it nearly impossible to hit things or defend against his attacks.

Hamelin having +++ on the hit and damage flips and 1-shotting Joss didn't improve my mood in the game either...

I dunno, been playing Malifaux for over a year and I've always had fun (even in tournaments). I don't mind facing a tough crew but this game was really annoying and frustrating.

I'll definitely give it another shot if my friend will allow it since he really didn't enjoy the game and doesn't want to play Hamelin anymore.

BTW - thanks for the tips. I'm going to make a list of terrifying things Ramos can take as well as some reliable shooting things.

Well it certainly didn't help that I had the Slaughter scheme...

Er.. that's the easiest Strategy to beat a normal Hamelin crew with. Rats count for 2ss every time you kill them and come back.. If you have a crew with lots of AOE like Ramos you can farm them for more SS than your crews worth in a turn or 2.

Has anyone tried Hamlin the merc against Hamlin the Plagued?

I'm thinking that spamming irresistible dance on Nyx and any Ratcatcher within 12 would really screw up Hamlin the Plagued's day. Follow it up with Obeys or the Walk spell on the same targets to take them away from the rat hoards and you should be fairly solid when facing off against the rats.

Also if you can take out a ratcatcher, you have the opportunity to spam your own plague for 1 or 2 wounds to essentially wipe out most rats (that are not in voracious rats range) within 18.

Best part is almost all crews can take Hamlin as a merc.

Er.. that's the easiest Strategy to beat a normal Hamelin crew with. Rats count for 2ss every time you kill them and come back.. If you have a crew with lots of AOE like Ramos you can farm them for more SS than your crews worth in a turn or 2.

This is the exact reason why I am debating between Hamelin or the Dreamer for my next Crew!