Experimental Rasputina list vs Kirai

Rhaksha

I thought I'd try something different with Rasputina, and it seemed to work.

Rasputina (0)

Freikorps Librarian (9)

Freikorps Trapper (7)

December Acolyte (6)

Silent One (6)

28ss with 6ss cache

Playing against Kirai with 2x Onryo, Datsue Ba, Lost Love, 3x Seishin and four summonings of the Ikiryo.

We fought for seven turns and eventually got it down to Raspy in combat with an Ikiryo and a Silent One 10" away watching.

Any thoughts on this as I thought I was a gonner by turn 3, but managed to fight back. The Trapper, Librarian and Raspy were the stars of the show.

Regards

Rhaksha

Edited by Rhaksha
Stupid title is wrong

Sorry I didn't expound more, I wrote it very late at night (in England) and didn't feel up to much more.

The game was essentially fought through a forest base. Raspy on one side (out of LOS) and Kirai on the other, unwilling to come through. As it was against a relatively new player we did not use strats or schemes and just had a slug-fest.

The Freikorps were a great addition to Raspy's firebase of the Silent One, I left off the Essence (shock horror) to get more SS, but the Librarian made up for it with Aetheric Theories giving Raspy + on casting.

I treated the Librarian as a Silent One sending her forwards with Frozen Heart and sending spells through her, while she buffed Raspy and healed people.

I deployed the Acolyte and Trapper in the middle of the forest, the Trapper further in than the Acolyte, and both had great fun shooting at spirits (no way to negate the 1/2 dmg effect but hey) until Kirai was close enough to summon an Ikiryo in their midst. The Trapper's Guide ability is very useful with the Acolyte as it gives him what he lacks, mobility in terrain. I can see them both being useful in strats where you need to do things on the opponant's side of the board. The Guide was also useful in the last turns in moving my Silent One quickly through the forest to get LOS to Kirai for a nice Freeze to finish her off.

One awesome thing which I noticed is the rules for Ice mirror mean you draw LOS from the friendly, meaning I can freeze the Trapper's Heart and fire spells through him with the benefit of Hunter. I can shoot, but not be shot back at by most units. Coupled with North Wind the Trapper can fire 13" December's Curse from within a forest and can fire 19" Clockwork Rifle shots at whomever.

All in all, the Freikorps are awesome, especially the Librarian who coupled with the Essence of Power can make Raspy really cruel with + to cast, channel and damage flips.

The Trapper is better than the Acolyte, but the two together can be very strong.

Hope that helps, if not I can describe specifics such as when my Librarian managed to kill a Datsue-Ba in melee....

Rhaksha

Edited by Rhaksha
some misspells

your biggest issue will be being out actioned, if you lose initiative, you will have activated 80% of your force before your opponents need to activate anything other than a sechin. This is one of the reasons I find kirai is so strong. She can stall out a turn, then long range summon a Shikome (typo?) to take out a key model or an objective then run away.

the acolyte & trapper can give you fist strike potential, but not enough because they are its not magical vs spirits.

I agree about being out actioned, but that is a given with Kirai. I could take along 3x Gamin and 3x Molemen, but that would not be as much fun. In a small game 30ss like we had it's maybe not the way to go (I did expect to be beaten badly) but in a larger game I think these combos are very good.

I'm facing the Dreamer soon, not a match up I relish.

I will be using the Freikorps again to bolster Rasputina.

Rasputina (0)

Freikorps Librarian (9)

Silent One (6)

Silent One (6)

Ice Gamin (4)

Ice Gamin (4)

Ice Gamin (4)

33ss with a 6ss cache

I'll let you know how it goes...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I believe that friekorps can only be hired as mercenaries if you have von shill. Don't have my stuff with me, but I think its under the friekorps rule.

No your fine hiring them without VonSchill but if you take one of them as a mercenary you can't take any normal non-Freikorp mercenaries.

I feel that when I play rasputina, you absolutely have to have a countercharge unit such as Joss. Her combat and defense are so low that it is likely that once you enter combat you will waste all your soulstones getting away or not dying. It's much easier to hold joss with 3 or 4 charge counters back and melee whatever has gotten into base with her. if you use joss, his minimum damage with counters becomes probably the highest in the game after 2 or 3 turns.