Asian cinema fan thread

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoy the badly made Eastern films. Saviour of the Soul is a great example. Just terrible yet compelling.

"He is wearing bullet proof vest! Shoot his head only!"

Hilarious.

I was thinking about that film just the other day and would have to agree with you.

The God of Gambler films are a bit like that. Especially the third one.

Some other movies I enjoyed:

Maundy Thursday (우리들의 행복한 시간) by director Hae-sung Song

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870967/

Was a touching movie that made me question certain beliefs of mine.

Shiri (쉬리) by director Je-gyu Kang

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0192657/

Is an oldie but great movie for people who love lots and lots of gunfire with zero accuracy :)

The Foul King (반칙왕) by director Jee-woon Kim

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0261552/

Is a comical take on professional wrestling in Korea.

My Sassy Girl (엽기적인 그녀) by director Jae-young Kwak

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293715/

A bit crazy but terribly funny for it.

Speedy Scandal (과속스캔들) by director Hyeong-cheol Kang

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1360795/

Probably my favorite of the bunch.

Someone mentioned One Night in Mongkok, great film.

I want to see The Foul King, just because I love Song Kang-ho. Haven't seen the Host all the way through yet.

Anyone seen The Fox Family? [ame]

[/ame]

I was a big fan of the Priest manhwa - will the next book ever come out? - and was horrified when I found out about the film adaptation.

I just found out that Lee Byung-hun also goes by his Western name - Brian. Fancy that..

Edited by ThePandaDirector

I really enjoy the badly made Eastern films. Saviour of the Soul is a great example. Just terrible yet compelling.

"He is wearing bullet proof vest! Shoot his head only!"

Hilarious.

Awesome film, had me laughing throughout.

Other (possibly unintentionally funny) films are the Naked Killer films and Heroic Trio. The stories and acting are so bad you just laugh all the way through.

I'm also a fan of Kamikaze Girls if anyone's seen that.

+1 in suggesting Shiri (AKA - Swiri) and The Foul King.

Intentionally funny movies I love include Shaolin Soccer and Kung-Fu Hustle. Just please find the British dubs for them for additional laughs after watching them with subtitles. heck, those voice actors even managed to make Ju-on funny!

Edited by LonelyPath

Crazy over the top fun:

Death Trance

Versus

Alive

The Returner

Volcano High School

I could go on and on...

+1 for The Returner and Versus. Both really awesome.

I personally prefer my Asian Cinema from a small town called Hong Kong. Been gearing up to start running a Feng Shui game again so I have been watching a lot of classic John Woo stuff Gun Opera stuff.

+1 for The Returner and Versus. Both really awesome.

I personally prefer my Asian Cinema from a small town called Hong Kong. Been gearing up to start running a Feng Shui game again so I have been watching a lot of classic John Woo stuff Gun Opera stuff.

Ahh, you can't beat a bit of the Killer or Hard Boiled (and I always had a soft spot for Bullet in the head) to remind you John Woo could actually direct at one point.

Wow this thread is so Japanese oriented(well other then Red Cliff). Where is the love for China or India.

Hong Kong Cinema has kinda went down hill since China took over but there are some great classics there.

And India has a growing number of over-the-top goofy action movies. Although you have to be receptive to Bollywood movies sometimes bizarre tone shifts. Endhiran(IE Indian Terminator sorta off) was a great goofy movie but it shifted between action movie, slapstick comedy, love story, court drama, and political commentary.

Ahh, you can't beat a bit of the Killer or Hard Boiled (and I always had a soft spot for Bullet in the head) to remind you John Woo could actually direct at one point.

I blame Jean Claude VanDamn. Anyone that came into contact with that man was doomed to make shitty movies in Hollywood.

John Woo did direct Red Cliff, which I have not seen but I hear is great.

Wow this thread is so Japanese oriented(well other then Red Cliff). Where is the love for China or India.

Hong Kong Cinema has kinda went down hill since China took over but there are some great classics there.

And India has a growing number of over-the-top goofy action movies. Although you have to be receptive to Bollywood movies sometimes bizarre tone shifts. Endhiran(IE Indian Terminator sorta off) was a great goofy movie but it shifted between action movie, slapstick comedy, love story, court drama, and political commentary.

There has been a fair amount of Korean chat. I must admit that my love of Hong Kong cinema has dwindled with my last real interest being the Infernal Affairs films. I heard good things about Election but just never got round to it.

Haven't really seen any bollywood, but there are a few decent thai films about these days too.

Edit: JCVD has done some dross. Still have a soft spot for one or two of his older ones though.

Sketch, I think you just gave me nightmares tonight! I want my dreams about zombies back damn you! lol.

For some Hong Kong love, I've always been a huge fan of Jet Li's earlier films (Once Upon A Time In Chine and The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk especially), not to mention Jackie Chan earlier things (like Project A, Drunken Master, Armour of God, etc). Fists of Fury is another good movie I enjoy (despite the flaws in that 1 bit has a modern day calendar of a girl in a bikini in the background (keep a eye out for that)). I agree that the quality of what's been coming out of Hong Kong has lowered considerably over time, but that may also be down to the fact that we have access to a lot more things now that we previously would not have seen.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but The Eye is one of my all time favourite movies (the original, not the garbage with Jessica Alba, which was still superior to most Hollywood remakes (possibly because the Pang Brothers were in charge?)).

+1 again for versus, one of the funniest films I saw around the time it came out.

Sketch, I think you just gave me nightmares tonight! I want my dreams about zombies back damn you! lol.

For some Hong Kong love, I've always been a huge fan of Jet Li's earlier films (Once Upon A Time In Chine and The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk especially), not to mention Jackie Chan earlier things (like Project A, Drunken Master, Armour of God, etc). Fists of Fury is another good movie I enjoy (despite the flaws in that 1 bit has a modern day calendar of a girl in a bikini in the background (keep a eye out for that)). I agree that the quality of what's been coming out of Hong Kong has lowered considerably over time, but that may also be down to the fact that we have access to a lot more things now that we previously would not have seen.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but The Eye is one of my all time favourite movies (the original, not the garbage with Jessica Alba, which was still superior to most Hollywood remakes (possibly because the Pang Brothers were in charge?)).

+1 again for versus, one of the funniest films I saw around the time it came out.

Now we are talking. Once upon a time in China was absolutely superb. Also love the work of Jackie Chan, more so Police Story, Project A, wheels on meals etc

I have said it before but wheels on meals is a classic of product placement, here is one of the more subtle points. Unfortunately I can only find it in Spanish but she is essentially saying that without such a great car she would have died.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZW2IW7lBn4[/ame]

Edi: Also, The Eye is fantastic. I found the second one disappointing though.

Dark Water is also a good one. And surprisingly decent in the US remake.

@Lonely: What about zombie JCVD? Dancing like in that picture?

Cmopared to the other things based on Suzuki's writings I thought Dark Water was diabolical (he also wrote the books, Ring, Spiral, Loop and Ring - Birthday for those not in the know). It was okay, but average at best. The USA remalke ruined what little was good about the original by removing all the possible mystery (they did the same with Ring though and the less I say about that remake the less likely I'll be kicked off here for bad language, hahaha).

A zombie JVCD? Oh Gods no! I needs me some zombie showgirls, anyone know of anything with actual zombie showgirls (and no, not zombie strippers, hahaha).

This thread reminded just how long it had been since I had bought any films at all so this morning I went out and bought the following.

Thirst, which has already been mentioned in here, and Confessions, which I don't think has been yet.

Just finished watching Confessions and I thought it was excellent. Would recommend it to all.

Just gotta post my fav Asian flicks.

Oldboy

Thirst

Shutter

Ichi the Killer

Really anything from Takashi Miike

Tetsuo The Iron Man (My all time favorite movie EVER!!!!!)

Dumplings

I Saw the Devil

Mother

Seven Samurai

Yojimbo

Machine Girl

Tokyo Gore Police

Hard Revenge Milly

Natural City

Samaritan Girl

ok ill stop because there are way more to list.....

@CounterZero83: Since you are a fan of Takashi Miike and have seen Dumblings I guess you have also seen Three Extremes 1 & 2 featuring work from Park Chan-wook, Kim Jee-woon, Takashi Miike and many others (well three others). I particularly like Box, because it's not really Takashi Miike's usual style and is just a beautiful piece of filmmaking.

@CounterZero83: Since you are a fan of Takashi Miike and have seen Dumblings I guess you have also seen Three Extremes 1 & 2 featuring work from Park Chan-wook, Kim Jee-woon, Takashi Miike and many others (well three others). I particularly like Box, because it's not really Takashi Miike's usual style and is just a beautiful piece of filmmaking.

I agree with you about Box. In general I think Three Extremes showcases the amazing talent of three asian directors. Takashi Miike Is in my pantheon of godlike directors. Have you seen Sukiyaki Western Django. An awesome movie with some good visuals for us Malifaux freaks.

Wow I had not heard of that, just checked out the trailer and thanking you very much for bringing it to my attention :D

No problemo. Little warning for yah, it was filmed in english with the actors doing there best to speak there english lines. It does make for a strange watch. Turn on the english subtitles to help with some of the more dialog heavy parts.

I agree with you about Box. In general I think Three Extremes showcases the amazing talent of three asian directors. Takashi Miike Is in my pantheon of godlike directors. Have you seen Sukiyaki Western Django. An awesome movie with some good visuals for us Malifaux freaks.

Yeah, great movie indeed.

I'm liking this thread. Some great movies have been mentioned and I like them all!

I'll add:

The Good, the Bad, the Weird

Azumi

Ichi The Killer

Casshern (alot of people dislike this but I don't!) :aetsch:

Seven Samurai

And not forgetting the amazingly AMAZING Lone Wolf and Cub Movie series.