Hunter?

libiss

They are one of those models that you wanna be careful with, I remember when I used them the times they did the most damage is when I got first activation and proceeded to tear into models with them.

Honestly though your best bet is to try to get a good turn of shadow off but try not to keep them to far ahead of the rest of your army. They are a finesse model on a 50mm base

I pretty much bought my Hoff box, assembled Hoff and the Watcher, and put the rest in a drawer. Guardian might come out someday for some tech but 7 points for a near-pure defensive model is questionable in an aggressive game; 6 points for Hunter, though, puts him solidly in I'd-only-play-him-cos-he-looks-cool-land.

He's kinda like a slower Sabertooth Cerberus with less punch for 6 points.

I pretty much bought my Hoff box, assembled Hoff and the Watcher, and put the rest in a drawer. Guardian might come out someday for some tech but 7 points for a near-pure defensive model is questionable in an aggressive game; 6 points for Hunter, though, puts him solidly in I'd-only-play-him-cos-he-looks-cool-land.

yeah the sabertooth, those are "fun" for sure. My hunters got killed because of the Cerberus "three-Headed" attack, which is enough to kill them.

@ Ratty: This is true, since they are 50mm bases giving 3 scraps counter. Can be helpful for sure.

Remember he's the cheapest Scrap Counters you can get. combine with Detonate Scrap you can even make his death worthwhile.

Exactly . . . you also have yourself a cheap 50mm based model for blocking charge lanes/LOS. He also becomes a pile of explosives pretty much once he dies.

Also, don't underestimate Drag . . . . I run a list with two Hunters/one Peacekeeper and love just sucking stray models into the Open Circuit field.

Guardian might come out someday for some tech but 7 points for a near-pure defensive model is questionable in an aggressive game.

This depends on how you play the guardian, it's shield is the most reliable damaging thing in the game, in conjunction with Hoff you are looking at minimum 6 points of melee damage assuming you flip the worst possible cards at the worst possible time.

Most of the rest of it is defensive, but don't overlook that.

Why? The Guardians are absolutely brillant. On paper, they seem slow but remember they get a free six inch push at the end of each turn.

My issue with the Hunter is that he's a tad too pricey. A Guardian is just one point more and as alot of Hoff's guys are pricey anyway, I find it hard to justify his inclusion. Yes, he has Ambush but CB4 still makes it difficult to hit the side of a barn.

With Shadow you get a bit more mobility. Positive flips for the attack and damage are nothing to sneeze at with Ambush as well.

Oh yeah, and throwing around Arrest on smaller models can help a lot with burning up someone's control hand. I know it isn't the easiest to get off . . . . but that is a lot of utility.

• 2 months later...

I used him as a distraction threat in a game against Ramos. Had all of his spiders going after it while my slower heavier hitters dealt with the Steamborg. When the cat eventually went down, I immediately detonated the scrap counters, and there went a good half of Ramos' force.

Played my second Hoffman game today, the Hunter I took failed to make too much of an impression, that being said the opposition did make a concerted effort to remove it from the board. I did manage to slow and drag one rotten belle, ambush helped with the plus flips.

I found the Hunter to be a very useful taxi for Hoffman, helping him keep up with the faster moving models that the opponent may field.

The last game I had, I ran a list with Hoffman, Hunter, Peacekeeper, Guardian and Watcher. It was against Rasputina, Snow Storm, Silent One, Ice Gamin and Essence of Power. During the first turn, I had Snow Storm in my LoS, so I had the Hunter activate Defensive Stance, and Shadow Snow Storm. Later, the Peacekeeper marched on forward to some obscuring cover.

The Snow Storm grabbed this chance to float his way right beside the Peacekeeper, but ran out of AP to do any damage. While he was floating though, the Hunter was Shadowing him, dragging Hoffman along such that all of a sudden, Snow Storm was within melee range of the Peacekeeper, the Hunter and Hoffman a little outside of them. Hoffman activates, casts Override Edict on Peacekeeper, which proceeded to Flurry it to death.

So I guess it can be pretty situational? But the speed that the Hunter that allowed Hoffman to get to the frontlines is probably not to be scoffed at.

I found the Hunter to be a very useful taxi for Hoffman, helping him keep up with the faster moving models that the opponent may field.

The last game I had, I ran a list with Hoffman, Hunter, Peacekeeper, Guardian and Watcher. It was against Rasputina, Snow Storm, Silent One, Ice Gamin and Essence of Power. During the first turn, I had Snow Storm in my LoS, so I had the Hunter activate Defensive Stance, and Shadow Snow Storm. Later, the Peacekeeper marched on forward to some obscuring cover.

The Snow Storm grabbed this chance to float his way right beside the Peacekeeper, but ran out of AP to do any damage. While he was floating though, the Hunter was Shadowing him, dragging Hoffman along such that all of a sudden, Snow Storm was within melee range of the Peacekeeper, the Hunter and Hoffman a little outside of them. Hoffman activates, casts Override Edict on Peacekeeper, which proceeded to Flurry it to death.

So I guess it can be pretty situational? But the speed that the Hunter that allowed Hoffman to get to the frontlines is probably not to be scoffed at.

Yap, that was how it went down. I made the mistake of not giving S.Storm D.Touch before letting him make that move.

I was totally caught off-guard with regards of the Shadow ability too. Serve me right! xD

Lesson learned: ALWAYS read your opponent's stat cards!