From a handicapped gamer: Thank you Wyrd for C. Hoffman

Just read over C. Hoffman's entry on Rising Powers. Here is a man who is wheelchair bound (like myself) but didn't let that stop him. Not only that, but he took upon himself to care for his brother, who is in a state many would call hopeless, and try to restore him to his former self. This also strike home for me, as I am a guy who would in a similar situation not hesitate to help my own brother, who I consider my best friend since childhood, even at the cost of my own life. Even his character design is appealing, as when I was a kid, I used leg braces to walk (later on my legs muscles weakened and my knees got contractions, leaving me unable to use them any longer).

I will start Malifaux with my brother soon hopefully and I plan on getting him first. Really exited. Who ever wrote his story and background and designed him, know this man on a wheelchair thanks you. It is very rare in media, be it film, written, or interactive like video games, to see people with walking disabilities take on progressive non-cliched roles and be inspiring. That is why, for example, I enjoy the Mass Effect video game series because of the character named Joker.

Edited by Da Big Baws
typos

Thanks for sharing that story Baws. That story hit home for me too my father struggled with polio still is and is wheelchair/powerchair bound now, but he never let that slow him down. He was stuck with leg braces for years. The shrine hospital did everything to help him with his quality of life, so they remind me of Hoffman. They funded an operation that got my dad out of a iron lung and on his feet, for 35 of his 68 years. The Hoffman fluff made me reflect on all the incredible medical breakthrough surgeries that the shrines funded and my dad acted as a guinea pig for.

That train ride story will always remind me of my dad and his incredible journey. When I look at Hoffman I always think of my dad. Thanks from me too.

I always thought Hoffman's story was full of character and was one that showed a defiance against the odds, but I never thought of it being so profoundly inspirational till now.

I am a registered nurse and have worked with all kinds of clients and have witness the courage of those who work to over come the challenges life throws at them. Yet I will say you are lucky to have a brother as close as your's, and he should feel lucky to have a brother like you. Cherish it.

Mr.B I honestly will say I didn't know this.(Well why should I, you never talked about it I guess.) I think you and your child are going to have a great relationship.

On a liter note.

I hope hope you enjoy Malifaux Da Big Baw, and just to give you a heads up Hoffman is a powerhouse game wise too.

Alright, hate to double post but I have to say this.

Big Baw your story is going to carry me through the day. I am a sucker for stories of brotherhood, be it bothers, father to son, close friends or combat buddies. To hear someone say they would sacrifice it all for their brother is the coolest #@%&ing thing history has ever given us.

I feel this way towards my son, so to hear someone say this about their brother puts you high up in my book.

Man I wish this site allowed swearing this one time so I could say how cool I thought you were right now.

Alright, hate to double post but I have to say this.

Big Baw your story is going to carry me through the day. I am a sucker for stories of brotherhood, be it bothers, father to son, close friends or combat buddies. To hear someone say they would sacrifice it all for their brother is the coolest #@%&ing thing history has ever given us.

I feel this way towards my son, so to hear someone say this about their brother puts you high up in my book.

Man I wish this site allowed swearing this one time so I could say how cool I thought you were right now.

Another interesting fact about my brother: he is the person that got me into wargaming. He also takes care of the hobby part of it for me as I can't paint or assemble due to weak hands. Tedious task to partake on stuff for the both of us, but he actually enjoys it. I can't even move minis.

How do I play you may ask? I play like a real general, strategize, and give orders, then he moves and rolls dice for me. Really an interesting way to play.

Edited by Da Big Baws

Great to hear that Hoffman comes across so well. I did give him a lot of care when writing his stats, and fleshing him out as a character in the game, and our writers really grasped my ideas for him.

It's actually a bit funny, because I didn't really make the connection until now, but one of my very best friends is a quadriplegic, and I've gamed with him for years, and simply spent enough time that I stopped focusing on his limitations. Now I just see everything he can do, how he excels in life well above the average american, and how he never makes excuses. I didn't realize that he was an inspiration for the Hoffman character before because I wasn't thinking about him specifically when I thought up the concept, but in fact the ways he completely changed my perceptions, assumptions, and relationships lead me to create Hoffman.

I suppose it's saying something that it was in reading this post I first made the connection, but I guess it just goes to show how completely I stopped associated him in my mind with any sort of handicap.

Great to hear that Hoffman comes across so well. I did give him a lot of care when writing his stats, and fleshing him out as a character in the game, and our writers really grasped my ideas for him.

It's actually a bit funny, because I didn't really make the connection until now, but one of my very best friends is a quadriplegic, and I've gamed with him for years, and simply spent enough time that I stopped focusing on his limitations. Now I just see everything he can do, how he excels in life well above the average american, and how he never makes excuses. I didn't realize that he was an inspiration for the Hoffman character before because I wasn't thinking about him specifically when I thought up the concept, but in fact the ways he completely changed my perceptions, assumptions, and relationships lead me to create Hoffman.

I suppose it's saying something that it was in reading this post I first made the connection, but I guess it just goes to show how completely I stopped associated him in my mind with any sort of handicap.

Very interesting you have a gamer friend who is handicapped. Does he play tabletop war-games with you? I rarely hear of people like me that partake in this hobby.

No, he doesn't really play mini games, but he never really did, even before. But he does just about everything else, CCG's, RPGs, board games, party games, all types of computer games, etc...

Ah I see. I used to play TCGs/CCGs in the past. I also got a few boardgames and RPGs. If your friend enjoys Civilization on PC, there's a boardgame version by Fantasy Flight Games (I got it for my brother last X-mas).

How do I play you may ask? I play like a real general, strategize, and give orders, then he moves and rolls dice for me. Really an interesting way to play.

Wow, that's awesome. Hoffman is the perfect choice for your first master then!

Good luck to you, and give your brother some mad props from me as well, for taking extra time to make sure you can share in the joy of gaming as well. That is too cool!

Thanks for the thank you post, DBB.

Your feedback truly made my day.

You're welcome. You guys deserve it.

On a slightly unrelated note, I said this in another topic:

Elton John's Friends Never Say Goodbye makes me think of the Hoffman brothers:

I really liked that song since I heard it on the animated film The Road to El Dorado many many years ago.

We try to keep it real on all levels if we can, even when we've got extraordinary circumstances our characters are in with extraordinary abilities.

Eric did have a good character design for him and we had several good discussions about the origins of his disability before settling on a good old fashioned illness on Eric's call. Seemed very appropriate.

The faction intro story seemed to write itself as the characters were just so developed already and it allowed the two brothers to demonstrate the love and respect they had for one another. Hoffman's story continues in the next book and we'll definitely see more of his strength. The bond with his brother, though, is tenuous and damaged now as he has to first come to grips with what he's become.

Hope you enjoy it.

Funny enough, I don't think any of us consider these issues as we discuss the setting and tear through it. They're individuals to us and at some point start writing themselves. I wouldn't have even considered the positive impact of introducing a disabled character into the storyline (let alone two!) from that angle. They're people to us, we try to keep them as real as we can in the context of fighting fantasy creatures in another world. ;)

I did take note of the Guild's other disabled master, though it didn't impact me as Hoffman did because the Blind Swordsman is an known archetype (but Malifaux made her a Swordswoman, which is interesting in it's own way) and Hoffman is wheelchair bound like me. You tend to appreciate things you can relate to most.

• 2 weeks later...

Total threadomancy, but I just found this post and it made my day. I also don't feel in the least bit bad pushing it to the top of the list so other people who might have missed it the first time round get a chance to see it too.

Respect to, you, the hoff, and Wyrd.