Off Topic Playground

Hey folks, how goes?

Got the Rail Crew all assembled and primed now, along with the Old Lady and two of the Archers. Need to work out the Rail Crew colors...decided to try my hand at freehand for a faction sigil of some kind to tie all the Ten Thunders together, rather than doing all the same color scheme.

I'd say pick a Chinese/japanese character that means something clever and relevant, or go for a design like one of the old family crests (some are pretty simple).

Either that, or a simple design of a classic like a Phoenix, tiger, dragon or lotus, something like that.

Good idea for a common symbol though, I hadn't thought of that one.

Oh, and the store here has said they're going to start stocking Malifaux again now there's a community getting going and the new book is out. It's all good timing for them to get more in, luckily!

...(blink blink) What part of simple doesn't come to mind? I was thinking something like a spiral...or something. I'm not really sure. I'm actually wondering if the simple should be the same, or if just the colors. That way it'd be a 'private' thing they couldn't give up in interrogation.

We'll see how adventurous I'm feeling once the brush shows up, lol. Glad to hear you're having some success with the community growing!

So, I don't have a whole lot of progress done, but I'm thinking of tossing up pictures of Yamaziko (her robe has the purple done) and Kang (his skin is done) to get some feedback before I go much further.

Ah,but the symbol for Japan is a box with a line through it, that's pretty simple! And spirals are deceptively hard to get right with all that curvyness that goes on lol.

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

It all depends on how stylised you go with it!

Ah,but the symbol for Japan is a box with a line through it, that's pretty simple! And spirals are deceptively hard to get right with all that curvyness that goes on lol.

I don't know what it is in Chinese, but I know that in Japanese, that is not true, it is actually two symbols, though still not complicated (though I would not even consider to try to paint them on a miniature due to the size and my own shakiness).

Edited by Tenki

Hmm, I thought it was the Japanese who used the square as a map with a vertical line marking the centre to represent their country. Could be wrong, maybe it's the Chinese, or maybe I'm miles off anything! Heh. That's the problem with random knowledge.

Still, some are pretty simple. That's the important bit *wink*

Having fun with GIMP then Ed?

There are some pretty simple crest designs in the 10t forum. I also like the idea of different simbols but same colour or just slight variations of the same one. After some of the crews sound like they're more associates of the katanaka clan rather than full members.

Hmm, I thought it was the Japanese who used the square as a map with a vertical line marking the centre to represent their country. Could be wrong, maybe it's the Chinese, or maybe I'm miles off anything! Heh. That's the problem with random knowledge.

Still, some are pretty simple. That's the important bit *wink*

Having fun with GIMP then Ed?

If this 中 is the symbol you mean then that is the kanji for middle. China is 中国 meaning middle country. This is all Japanese but the symbols are generally the same in Chinese too.

O+F has it, they use the symbol for middle in the country title. Knew I'd seen it somewhere!

Still, my stupidity aside (thou I have plenty if anyone's about at midnight...), there are some nice easy symbols, they're not all eye watering monsters to paint!

I can look at gimp onmonday when I'm in work, but don't have it at home so can't really help much over the weekend

Lol, I have the same problem every time I try to take pictures... they look horrible and I can't figure out how to fix them in GIMP or any other software... :/

BTW, which brush did you buy Edonil?

I got one of these: http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=112

Well, photos are up. I think they turned out okay, at the very least better than the last ones I took.