Off Topic Playground

Wait, we're on topic? I think we've gone a touch outside our remit here!

I use good kolinsky sable brushes, they hold points well. Other than that it comes down to preference, I know people that use Windsor and Newton series 7, I personally swear by rosemary and co. series 22 or 33, can't remember which.

Meh, there's never a single topic here. What brush size do you recommend for something like freehand?

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Way to go Monkey! That reminds me, I need to take photos. (adds to list of stuff to do)

Now to figure out a place to get these things...certainly aren't any carriers around here, unfortunately.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

And the prices for these are kinda crazy... O.O Well, this will be a post Gencon purchase, that's for sure! And it looks like I need to invest in some stuff to take good care of my brushes, if I'm going to spend around $20 for a brush!

@Dustcrusher ..... from what I was told Songs of Drums is pretty much Identical to the fantasy version just with Napoleonic army lists. The guy that demoed it has bought a pile of stuff, and as most plastics are boxes of thirty or forty guys and you need about fifteen for the game he is selling us starter forces for twenty bucks.... :)

Haha, nice.

I am considering getting a few Ex Illis clearance items for Kings of War. There are excellent deals out there (2 catapults and crew for $15? Sure!) and the sculpts are quite nice, especially at 50% off. That gigantic demon-troll thing was pretty impressive (and sadly not clearanced, heh).

Gameplay-wise, it was an interesting idea, and while an iPhone/Android app helped, the whole "register your models" schtick was basically begging for the game to die. Should've enabled offline play (with uneditable match records for "official" games) and offered an army construction kit for an extra cost.

Makes me wonder when we'll see computer-based opponents for games more complicated than chess...maybe after the Arimea challenge is beaten.

Brushes now? OK- I'm liking my just-above-cheap Army Painter brushes so far. Of course, I'm odd in that I prefer synthetics for certain applications where I want a stiff brush, but they are great for the price (and I'm no master painter, so unless I get good enough I won't notice the difference).

Makes me wonder when we'll see computer-based opponents for games more complicated than chess...maybe after the Arimea challenge is beaten.

Actually there's a board game called Mage Knight which is a good deal more complicated with chess and there's an app where your iphone will play against you, telling you where to move the pieces, etc.

Actually there's a board game called Mage Knight which is a good deal more complicated with chess and there's an app where your iphone will play against you, telling you where to move the pieces, etc.

No joke? Then computer-vs-player Ex Illis wouldn't have been that much harder, if at all (all those clicky dial symbols...).

Afternoon all. Where are these cleaance Ex Illis modiels? I am still afte ra few more and can't find them in clearance, grr.

Wyrd has a Hench-Monkey now :)

'Path, miniaturemarket.com bought a ton of the stock and cut the prices in half it looks like. I am tempted to get more than a couple of items to use as the basis of a Kingdoms of Men army. Not sure if I want to risk waiting until next year, but I also don't know if I want to drop a bunch of money on stuff that may never leave the box. I'll wait until after Dragoncon most likely. Not sure about international shipping (Lower 48 states get free shipping over $99).

If I get them, I hope I don't annoy my opponents with the obvious Motorhead reference: "We are the Rail Crew!" Much like I can't play Ramos because I'd reference Spinal Tap every time I summoned an Electrical Creation.

I actually got a bit more done on my 'Tina crew...I am so bad at this. Two of my Gamin look decent, the third is terrible, and my Golem is getting better but still needs a lot of work (hey, blending red and blue into white isn't easy, and I am not good at blending at all). Perhaps I should take pics....

My game on Saturday went well. Had a lot of fun but I lost 4-2 (it was looking like 6-0 early on). First experience with Sonnia's Avatar- obscenely good. Raspy's avatar felt a bit lame in comparison, but I didn't manifest until the turn 6 automatic anyway, by which time she had no good targets but aSonnia. One highlight of the match was using Snow Storm at 2 Wd remaining to kill a Fire Gamin, who exploded, killing them before they could use Eat Your Fill :facepalm: Raspy did flash-freeze Samael thanks to a generous application of Overpower and a Soulstone or two, though.