Off Topic Playground

yup, hope it works out!

Only 10 vacation days?  seriously?  I know you have 5 sick days too but that is still only 15 days..

Its statutory in the UK for a full time member of staff to have 28 days annual leave.  This can include the 8 Bank holiday days.

Luckily I get 25 annual leave days and the 8 bank holidays, so 33 days off in total a year.

I can't complain...:)

Thanks but I have ex-family, friends and a girlfriend here. Also Ich nein sprakken der Germanian.

I get the first part, but you don't need to speak German to work in Germany. Especially in science.

Actually, sick days are mandated by the NY Department of Labor. Finally the government doing something right - all employers MUST allow 5 paid sick days a year in addition to whatever else the company has. So I have 10 paid vacation days, 5 paid sick days. Except I never use all my vacation time because those are straight hours and cut into my overtime pay rate. Plus I can't afford a vacation anyway - I'd just lay around the apartment eating junk food. 

I didn't mean sick days to be ridiculous, but calling in sick days instead of vacation. There should be enough vacation. Also, only 5 days of sick leave per year? That's bordering criminal.

Only 10 vacation days?  seriously?  I know you have 5 sick days too but that is still only 15 days..

Its statutory in the UK for a full time member of staff to have 28 days annual leave.  This can include the 8 Bank holiday days.

Luckily I get 25 annual leave days and the 8 bank holidays, so 33 days off in total a year.

I can't complain...:)

We talked about this before, but the legal minimum is 24 days here (but usually its between 26 and 30) plus the 10-12 public holidays, plus you only have to bring a doctor's sick leave papers after the third day of absence, plus you get paid sick leave that is (while not unlimited) pretty substantial (around 6-8 weeks per year). Usually people don't call in sick if they aren't sick as that can have severe consequences.

It's not like all that leave makes us unproductive or economically weak.

We aren't allowed to question why someone calls out for any reason, or else we get in trouble with HR. Because discrimination.

I'm not sure what it has to do with discrimination, but they surely have to say if they take sick leave or vacation? Just to note the days? And you cannot really question them here either... but if they want paid sick leave, they have to prove that they are sick (though not with what) by bringing a doctor's notice after three days. If it later comes out (however) that they abused paid sick leave, that's reason for immediate firing (which isn't easy in Germany).

I suffered that affliction in younger years...thankfully I just seemed to grow out of it, but I am a lazy sod so it sometimes gets to the stage where I pretty much could have claws on my hands..and with having very tough nails, I can do damage to people by accident.

Lately I have made it a regular thing...try and do them every couple of weeks or so..

Look at me, the metrosexual!

Anywho... I stopped biting my nails for the first time in, like, 20 years. Now that they're starting to grow back, my typing is shit. I don't like it. 

I cannot connect to that issue.

Not many people can, surprisingly. It started as an anxiety thing when I was a teenager. Then it just became instinctive. Now I have to make a conscious effort to not do it. It's maddening.

Anywho... I stopped biting my nails for the first time in, like, 20 years. Now that they're starting to grow back, my typing is shit. I don't like it. 

well..... I wouldn't recommend biting your nails again :P

I'm trying that whole "looking somewhat groomed" thing I hear so much about :P

wont work with that beanie hat of yours!  ;)

It does actually look like that (if it stops raining or misting enough for you to see it!) ...green hills and mountains, verdant forests and clear streams and rivers...deep still lakes...

Beautiful country (seriously, stay away from the cesspits of cities though)..

And the women are truly blessed..yes you get some ...*cough* discrepancies, but on the whole, Welsh women are petite, big bosomed and very friendly.

It does actually look like that (if it stops raining or misting enough for you to see it!) ...green hills and mountains, verdant forests and clear streams and rivers...deep still lakes...

And the women are truly blessed..yes you get some ...*cough* discrepancies, but on the whole, Welsh women are petite, big bosomed and very friendly.

and woolly? ;)

and woolly? ;)

*stares*

Edited by Absolution Black

and woolly? ;)

Only in a sweater... and that's a good thing too ;)

I can agree with that ;)

There are lots of different size, shape and temperament of women in wales...but traditionally they are how described.

I am not your typical Welshman being over six feet tall, brown hair and cant sing for toffee...lol

Type in Welsh women in Google. Catherine Zeta Jones comes up. 

I approve.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/why-are-welsh-women-so-good-looking-147021

I vote American women to be the least attractive in the world - as evidenced by the massive "beauty care" industry we have here. If they were attractive, they wouldn't need all that crap. 

The "beauty care" industry has nothing at all to do with selling people products they need to look beautiful.  It's all "You look terrible, buy this so you look different."  For heaven's sake, Japanese people get sold whitening cream and Caucasians get sold sun tan oil.  :huh:

Edited by solkan

I couldn’t possibly make any blanket statements about our women.

There are lots of different size, shape and temperament of women in wales...but traditionally they are how described.

Traditionally and generally don't mean much in statistics. The populations are too big. Traditionally, German women are tall, blonde, blue eyed, well-endowed, intellectual, self-confident, and abrasive. I hesitate to say that I encountered one "typical" German woman in my life.

I couldn’t possibly make any blanket statements about our women.

Traditionally and generally don't mean much in statistics. The populations are too big. Traditionally, German women are tall, blonde, blue eyed, well-endowed, intellectual, self-confident, and abrasive. I hesitate to say that I encountered one "typical" German woman in my life.

No doubt.  But the population of Wales pales into insignificance compared to Germany! In fact I wouldn't be surprised if even Berlin has a bigger population than Wales..

And lol, you just described the only two German girls I have ever met!!  :)