Any questions or criticism of the fluff?

nerdelemental

I think Twisting Fates has been out long enough for this thread to come back.

Some questions I have:

- are the undead construct things that fight the Ortegas at the beginning of the book Steampunk Abominations?

- is Perdita's doctor important and acting secretly (like Lucius and the Govenor General) or is he just a creepy guy?

- Is there a big push to sell PeaceKeepers this year - after 2 books not really touching on them it seems like they're mentioned a lot in Twisting Fates...

- It seems as though Avatars can be divided into those who can choose to manifest their powers at will (Marcus, Seamus, Hoffman, etc) and those that have been permanently changed by the event (such as Zoraida, Leveticus, Hamlin, etc)- are these latter now changed for good, or will the event eventually 'wear off'?

Funny reading through this thread and seeing people discuss the very thing I thought and drew in my début drawing post in the forums! Or the chap talking about a BIG gremlin, and along comes Lenny~ Anyway, sorry because I waffle lots and lots so, good luck:

Writing:

I have to say in a critical fashion, I find the general writing style to be rather weak. The little card game with Zoraida was a fun little endeavour which sets the playing field for Malifaux in general rather well, but throughout the descriptors and style seem very "young". Whilst I adore the visuals of the models, the world itself between theme, fluff, inhabitants and crunch, the writing style itself just feels lacking.

The story or progress itself I like, and they are often quite punchy things, but the execution doesn't do it for me. Perhaps that is intentional to reflect the way the average joe miner of Malifaux may well tell the same stories. I read it all the same, because I love the world and characters, but it's like having my favourite food served but blandly undercooked or unseasoned.

Is it aimed at being more comic or graphic novel relatable? That could be why I find the way scenes are set or actions described a bit off. Clearly a matter of taste in any regard

Gremlins:

Will there be any advancement with Ophelia's character, or is she entirely a support character? This is both re: fluff and in-game. Given she was en route to be head Gremlin until the Ortega stopped her supply line/harassed her, and that she is clearly so bloody minded that she refuses to align herself with anyone but gremlins (apart from when Zoraida isolates her away from larger groups of gremlin), will there ever be room for change on that? Will she get to a point she can take pigs for her own pigapult, or a Master version of her? Or, once characters have been made, are they essentially static with the exception of things like the avatars? I used to ponder about her being contracted to another faction as she focused more on human ways to be head gremlin i.e; she gets human gear support, and humans get pest control by having a sponsored gremlin family keeping the rest of them out of the way. Almost a gremlin tax I supose.

Are those crocodiles, or are they alligators in the Bayou?

Is there an overarching policy from the Guild with regard to Gremlins?

Why do so many people treat the Gremlins as their own faction entirely~

are the undead construct things that fight the Ortegas at the beginning of the book Steampunk Abominations?

I bet five Guild Script, yes.

Gremlins:

Will there be any advancement with Ophelia's character, or is she entirely a support character? This is both re: fluff and in-game. Given she was en route to be head Gremlin until the Ortega stopped her supply line/harassed her, and that she is clearly so bloody minded that she refuses to align herself with anyone but gremlins (apart from when Zoraida isolates her away from larger groups of gremlin), will there ever be room for change on that? Will she get to a point she can take pigs for her own pigapult, or a Master version of her? Or, once characters have been made, are they essentially static with the exception of things like the avatars? I used to ponder about her being contracted to another faction as she focused more on human ways to be head gremlin i.e; she gets human gear support, and humans get pest control by having a sponsored gremlin family keeping the rest of them out of the way. Almost a gremlin tax I supose.

Are those crocodiles, or are they alligators in the Bayou?

Is there an overarching policy from the Guild with regard to Gremlins?

First of all, you sir are just ace. But don't go trying to knock me off my self appointed Head Honcho perch!

I think Ophelia will get alot of development come Book 4, if it still is meant to be Special Forces based.

Going by McTavish's fluff in Book 3 and Born on the Bayou from Book 2, we can assume both on the reptile front.

I would believe that the Guild views them merely as pests. The Ortegas in Book2 don't speak highly of them and Levi in Book 1 calls them something along the lines of barely sentient. I wouldn't be suprised if the uprising of the LaCroix and Somer's hoot and holler got them worried.

Answer to last question: I believe that Gremlin players tend to be the most fanboyish out of any player on the boards.

Peacekeepers are cool. That was all :)

Yes, but other brands of law enforcement are available (in the interests of fair advertising) :-)

Also - do the writers all have a thing' for red haired women? They seem to out number other hair colours quite substantially...

Edited by FearLord

I think when I wrote the Misaki story I had just finished painting my Peacekeeper, which is why it got a cameo in that story :) As to why there were so many in the Other Story (avoiding spoilers), it was just because they are and were the biggest constructs the Guild possesses, making the resolution of the story that bit more meaningful.

Sybelle = ?

Predita = Black

Bete Noir = Black

Kirai = Black

Ikiryo = Ectoplasmig Green

Nurses = Blonde/Brown

Belles = Blonde/Black/Brown

Shikome = Black

Rasputina = Black

Myranda = Blonde

Collette = Ginger~

Cassandra = Blonde

Lady J = Ginger~

Performer = Brown/Black

Sonnia Crid = Ginger boxart, black hair mini?

Silent One = Light Brown

Candy = Blonde

Lilith = Ginger~

Nekima = Ginger~

Zoraida = Black/Grey

Pandora = Brown boxart, Black mini

Doppleganger = Ginger~, not sure it should count ;3

Hollow Waif's = Black/Brown

Ronin = Ginger~/Black/Black

Bishop = Blonde ( :whistle: )

Viktoria = Blonde/Grey

The Stolen = Blonde

Obedient Wretch = Blonde

Desperate Merc = Blonde

Ophelia = Raven silk

Gremlinette = Ginger~

Miss Pack = Blonde.

What's all this about disproportionate gingers? I mean, I accept that more than one is excessive, but still...

Edited by Spiku

The Ginger Files:

Lady Justice

Sonnia Criid (Twisted Fates)

McMourning

Colette

Lilith

Pandora

Granted, it's not a TON ... and when you start tossing minions on the pile it really does curb the numbers ... but I'm thinking gingers have a better overall chance of becoming Breach-fueled super peeps, moreso than blondes and brunettes at least.

Or, as would seem to be the case with Twisted Fates, becoming a Master may result in sudden and irreversible redheadification (see Pandora and Criid).

Answer to last question: I believe that Gremlin players tend to be the most fanboyish out of any player on the boards.

Probably has more to do with the fact that the Gremlins have some of the most restrictive hiring rules of any Master or Henchman. They can really only stand there own kind (and yes McTavish and Zoraida are definately described as "Swamp People" in the fluff).

*Though yes we do often exhibit "fanboy" tendencies.

Seems odd of them:

Black: 12

Blonde: 9

Red: 8

Brown: 6

Grey: 2

Green: 1

Bald: 1

Not that strange amongst caucasians around here, about average.

Really? Brown hair usually ties with blonde in my neck of the woods. True black is somewhat rare with red a distant ... distant fourth. Grey, green and bald usually hinge on demographic. ;)

I find redheads to be smokin' hot in general. Where do you live? Is it a vacation destination? Book me a ticket.

My blonde wife won't mind. She'll understand.

Also he's not a female ;3

To be fair, FearLord specifically mentioned females. I did not.

Which isn't to say I find McMourning smokin' hot ... though he is my favorite Master ...

Oh no.

Edited by Hatchethead

Yeah but given the Mc you can forgive a redhead demographically.

I live in London, specifically in Tottenham; in fairness you should probably double the black, but keep the rest the same; once again amonst caucasians. The green and bald were inclusive

I'm not a ginger fan at all, but if red hair really -was- red, then I'd be all over it =3

Brown's the most common hair color that I've seen in the states, with blonde a second. Black hair is a little bit rare, honestly. Red hair is definitely uncommon, but then, most people who have red hair as kids tend to have it change color with a lot of exposure to sunlight.