Inspiration for Characters

eturns

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a person who has seen the table of contents for a bible I can see the similarities between the book of Leveticus and the name Leveticus. As a person with an undergraduate degree in Bible I fail to see anything about summoning the undead in the book of Leveticus. And as a person with a master's degree in Divinity I know that the book of Leveticus actually frowns quite a bit on the whole summoning undead thing, and tends to suggest burning or stoning people who do that sort of thing.

But, you know, maybe Wyrd just liked the name from the Bible.

His name's LevEticus. Not saying there's not some connection to the book of the bible that rants about abominations and killing people, but it' not spelled the same.

/petpeeve

datsue-ba is essentially the japanese version of the boatman at the river styx from greek mythology.

datsue-ba sits at the sanzu river and waits for souls to come by. She would do many things:

If a child's soul would arrive at the river, she cannot judge them as they haven't lived a full life and therefore isn't good or bad. So She strips them of thier cloths and tells them to build a mountain of pebbles so that can reach heaven. Unfortunately little demons would come by periodiclly and try to knock down this mountain. Thankfully, another deity comes to save the children souls and bring them to heaven by hiding the children under his robe.

Datsue-ba would also judge bad souls that have led a terrible life and would strip them of thier cloths and place them on a branch. the bend in the branch reflected the weight of thier sins. Datsue-ba would strip sinners of thier skin if they came with no cloths. And depending on the type of sins commited in life, Datsue-ba would punish the sinners accordingly. Like break someone's hands off if they stole stuff.

japanese mythology is something I study often. So when I saw datsue-ba on the table top, I knew what factino I had to play :)

The Gaki are actually very well represented in malifaux as hungry spirits. Gaki are the souls of the deceased who were jealous or greedy like people in life. The curse of becoming a gaki is to reflect said jealousy and greed by giving you a large stomach and a slender neck so that it is extremely difficult to satisfy your appetite. The gaki also suffer from sunken in skin and slender limbs. Generally they are hungry, misrable, cursed spirits that live without satisfaction.

Gaki are said to be pittied in some religions. So preists and monks would leave food out before a meal as an offering.

• 2 weeks later...
Did anybody mention that Death Marshalls are Django?

I have no idea what a Django is. But, having just read the entire thread I can safely say, no.

They have the Maiden (Pandora), Mother (Lillith), Crone (Zorida) thing going on for those Masters. The classical three stages of Woman concept is used across many cultures and mythologies.

To expand on that idea a bit, I seem to remember the Maiden, Mother, and Crone spinning a loom of fate. Which makes perfect sense for those three, they surely have some master plan going on, and they played Vikki so well in the first book.

I don't suppose the three neverborn women from the first book are to do with the Three Mothers/Morrigan/Argento thing?

Morrigan = usually translated as an phantom queen, fits lilith pretty well.

dunno about argento though

It's highly unlikely and I have a terrible memory for the fkuff cannon - or previous entries on this thread - but Perdita possibly from Shakespeare's Winter's Tale? Unknowingly the daughter of a king who was taken in and looked after by another family. So Abuela isn't really her mother.

Or Abuela just got jiggy with the Governor.

Edited by Chucklemonkey

• 4 months later...

Having missed the Collodi/Pinocchio connection, I was really excited today while at work going through the new National English curriculum to see the name Collodi and finding out he wrote Pinocchio. Awesome connection, and not quite sure how I missed that earlier in the thread, but it did bring some joy to a rather monotonous day.

Just had a bit of a look for any basis for "Kaeris". This is the best I could come up with, it's a type of dagger from the Phillipines...

"The keris, or kris, is famous for its distinctive wavy blade, but many have straight blades as well. Both a weapon and spiritual object, keris are often considered to have an essence or presence, often considered to possess magical powers, with some blades possessing good luck and others possessing bad."

No clue on "Anasalea" though :/

Just had a bit of a look for any basis for "Kaeris". This is the best I could come up with, it's a type of dagger from the Phillipines...

"The keris, or kris, is famous for its distinctive wavy blade, but many have straight blades as well. Both a weapon and spiritual object, keris are often considered to have an essence or presence, often considered to possess magical powers, with some blades possessing good luck and others possessing bad."

No clue on "Anasalea" though :/

A kris dagger is also similar but smaller version of the flamberge or "flame blade" Seems like you could be on to something, but it could also be a stretch.

Also going a step further on a limb. removing the ea from her name to get kris, and the ea from anasalea gives you a type of WWI reconnaissance airplane.

Edited by Inquisitor Wall