Women in Malifaux

Bartali

My Ideal Man!

fat-bastard-11756.jpg?1173338992

Dam, me and under weight nature, would never be able put on much weight, I guess I have put on my mask, hide my face and continue my day job as a Securetary

Lady J would be a lot more practical if she wasn't wearing a corset. Those things really do not allow one to breathe or bend easily.

Who say she need to breath and with superbreach powers, she could put up with easily

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lady J would be a lot more practical if she wasn't wearing a corset. Those things really do not allow one to breathe or bend easily.

First off I would debate if she is even wearing a corset. The studio paint job clearly looks like its zipped up. Corsets generally do not have zippers because zippers can't generally take the stress of a tightened corset.

But per wikipedia on the subject

"Moderate lacing is not incompatible with vigorous activity. Indeed, during the second half of the 19th century, when corset wearing was common, there were sport corsets specifically designed to wear while bicycling, playing tennis, or horseback riding, as well as for maternity wear."

So we can assume its a sports corset

as well as for maternity wear."

Given my basic knowledge of corset theory and corestry in general, this seems to defeat the whole purpose of wearing a corset... :confused:

I'd certainly like to know what it'd look like.

EDIT:

corset3_big.jpg

maternity_corset.jpg

Intriguing...

In any case...

I guess I have put on my mask, hide my face and continue my day job as a Securetary

I really hope you're not... ;)

Edited by Rathnard

Wow, I always thought that I live in a very conservative country, but the stuff people tend to get offended by, is completely beyond my understanding. I even asked my friends and my gf about it. Noone have found absolutely anything offensive in neither the 40k diorama, the wet nurse (amazing model, btw!), the rape scene from the helldorado rulebook nor the 'nudity' in Malifaux.

I (along with my gaming buddies) actually appreciate strong content in game's fluff, because it makes the game so much more real and immersive.

Hope I did not offend anyone with the above.

Cheers,

Gru6y

So she's named after Lilith for no reason then!

Ok she not the same Lilith, but source of the legend in Malifaux universe

Obviously she is a completely different Lilith, Mother of Monsters. Maybe you haven't followed Lilith's story after the Adam incident.

The similarity between the 3 female Neverborn Masters and the Kindly Ones must be a coincidence too. Seeing as they can't be based off the real world Greek Religion.

And Lilu and Lilitu are in no way based on the Sumerian entities of the same name.

First off I would debate if she is even wearing a corset. The studio paint job clearly looks like its zipped up. Corsets generally do not have zippers because zippers can't generally take the stress of a tightened corset.

She is not wearing a corset at all.. she's wearing more or less a boiler suit, with knee pads.. She looks more like she is off to fix a car than for a night on the town.

I always thought that Lilith was wearing maternity wear. She looks like she has a tiny bit of a belly and that the straps on her top can be let out and the material will stretch when it's needed. I've been very tempted to let it out when I paint mine.

Also,if you think about it,the moment's distraction where the man's eye caught her cleavage,would be all the distraction she needed to slice him from crotch to crown. As someone that does medieval recreation of combat(SCA) I have gone into tournaments with a 6 inch bronze rooster for a codpeice,simply because I knew it had a chance of distracting my opponent for long enough for me to slap rattan on his or her helm.

Now,is there something wrong with women being able to show off cleavage? Absolutely not. Part of that whole freedom bit is being able to dress how they want.

And as for children seeing the models...Im a father of four,3 boys 1 girl. So I do understand the oddness about being ok with them seeing dismemberments,viscera,guts and gore and being squeamish about them seeing naked men or women. After a while I realized that the difference for me was whether or not it was gratuitious or whether it was important to the rest of the story. And tht applies to the blood,the gore and the sexualization.

Personally, I think people project - especially where art is concerned. When someone looks at strong, commanding female figures (which most if not all of Malifaux's women clearly are) and can't see anything but how much cleavage they're showing, it says far more about the viewer than it does about the art.

Obviously she is a completely different Lilith, Mother of Monsters. Maybe you haven't followed Lilith's story after the Adam incident.

I'd really rather not get into a religious debate here, particularly about the... Well, particularities of the Apocrypha. Suffice it to say that yes, I am well aware of the inspiration behind Lilith, but inspiration does not mean direct copy.

The similarity between the 3 female Neverborn Masters and the Kindly Ones must be a coincidence too. Seeing as they can't be based off the real world Greek Religion.

The use of "Kindly Ones" actually threw me a bit, since that epithet has been used for several beings over the course of human history. And yes, the Maiden, the Mother, and the... Other One are an obvious inspiration for the original three Neverborn Masters, but until we see them doing some snipping of threads, it's just inspiration.

And Lilu and Lilitu are in no way based on the Sumerian entities of the same name.

I actually do not know much about Sumerian mythology aside from what little bit I gleaned from Snow Crash. It's admittedly a weak spot in my studies. However, I'm sure there's inspiration. I'm just not a big fan of bondage demons in my games.

Nothing in Malifaux is offensive to me, really. I find some of it in questionable taste, and would understand others finding it offensive. As I've tried to state repeatedly, I simply do not find the game "feminist."

Personally, I think people project - especially where art is concerned. When someone looks at strong, commanding female figures (which most if not all of Malifaux's women clearly are) and can't see anything but how much cleavage they're showing, it says far more about the viewer than it does about the art.

I think it says more about the artist when they sculpt/paint a strong, commanding female and then give them a neckline so low I can see their navel. ;)

Edited by JPRoth1980

I simply do not find the game "feminist."

Nor is it actually sexist in any way, but then again, the only way for a game to be sexist is to add -4Str penalty for women...

Noone have found absolutely anything offensive in neither the 40k diorama, the wet nurse (amazing model, btw!), the rape scene from the helldorado rulebook nor the 'nudity' in Malifaux.

I quite like the wetnurse, though the model itself is lacking the concept is suitably grim. THe helldorado angelrape is also justified given the setting. The 40k diorama, I found extremely tasteless, and clashing with the cartoony art and setting of the game to be honest.

The other thing I worry about is the situation with kids where parents have an issue with kids seeing models. A kids reaction to a model like Viktoria would generally be Wow a girl with armour and cool swords or Eww... a girl, cooties! (What are cooties btw, girls over here don't seem to have them, is it an American disease). They might pick up on the discomfort from their parents, but if they weren't around I don't think they would even think about the fact she has a bit of flesh showing. If they are at an age where they notice such things as that girls have breasts, they are really old enough to see models such as Viktoria, and the fact that a parent has discomfort over it has more to do with the parent than the child. IE. if the kid is old enough to acknowledge the fact that Viktoria is in anyway sexual the kid is old enough that you should be having these kinds of discussions with them. It's not like you can avoid them seeing Britney Spears videos with their mates. So it's a parents job to put these things in context. IE explain that most girls will get offended if you expect them to dress up in armour and wield swords (though some of us get lucky on this one).

The other thing I worry about is the situation with kids where parents have an issue with kids seeing models.

Absolutely! I figure that at the point where a kid is "mature" enough to play a wargame, they are "mature" enough to deal with anything that game entails.

If I am playing against a kid and he makes any inappropriate comments, I will be quick to correct him or give him a glare. But the real issue is that, potentially, scantily-clad models are driving away potential customers from this game, and that makes me sad.

Edited by JPRoth1980
Typo

But the real issue is that, potentially, scantily-clad models are driving away potential customers from this game, and that makes me sad.

I would say the art direction wyrd has draws in far more players then it turns away. All most every player I know was brought in by the cool looking models. I have had 3 players I brought in to the game went from mild intrest when I told them to buying boxes when they saw the models.

I would say the art direction wyrd has draws in far more players then it turns away. All most every player I know was brought in by the cool looking models. I have had 3 players I brought in to the game went from mild intrest when I told them to buying boxes when they saw the models.

I don't know that you can honestly say that the art draws in more than it's turned away. If that were the case, I'd expect Malifaux to be a lot more popular.

I don't know that you can honestly say that the art draws in more than it's turned away. If that were the case, I'd expect Malifaux to be a lot more popular.

Malifaux is hugely popular, for a game that has existed for under 2 years. The new rulebook has had far more pre-orders than expected.

The subconscious is a powerful thing. People might not admit for liking a particular product for a few centimeters more clevage, but it doesn't mean thier reptile brains weren't swayed.

...not that I have an oppinion on the matter either way.

I am with ratty on this one. Malifaux is very popular for a game of its age. It has grown far faster then any other game I have ever played or its type.

I would say means its my opinion. How are you going to tell me my own opinion of some thing is wrong and provide 0 facts to back it up. I have never shown it to any one who looked and went ew I dont like that. I know a lot who have raved about how cool the models look. I am sure some one has disliked them but in my exp its all been good.

Edited by tadaka