Must Have Colors

Hatchethead

Updated the list.

I had to guess which VGC red, blue and yellow you use, BugKing. The red and yellow, I chose the closest to the traditional primary color. Blue, I took a shot on Electric ...?

Cool that you mix all of your colors. You, sir, are hardcore.

Edited by Hatchethead

I get the feeling the Vj Brass will be similar, but you will have to keep clearing the spout.

I have recently purchased the Vallejo Brass and am very pleased with it. I don't even have to worry about the spout.

...although that may be more due to the fact that my dog chewed up the plastic bottle and I had to save what was left in a small glass jar....:dead1:

my dogs an idiot....

GW Wash set

Many Thumbs up to these. They are talent in a bottle.

As a lazy painter I have also started to really like the GW base coats since they really do a good job of putting down a deep color layer. Better painters will say that multiple light layers is much better for detail and such but at my skill level they do the job of getting some initial color on my model before I start layering and adding detail.

Even people who despise GW (no small minority) often swear by their foundation paints and washes. I see it all the time in forums, prefaced by "Now, I'm not a fan of Games Workshop ..." or "Keep in mind I hate GW, but ..."

No better endorsement.

The Reaper Triads are neat. Base, shadow, highlight. Great idea.

Vallejo Game Colour - 72 set

Vallejo Model Colour - 72 set

GW Wash set

Reaper Master Triad - flesh tones

P3 Range... everything but metallics, GW metallics are better, but I try not to use metallics too much.

That's funny I prefer P3 metallics to GW. I wish I had the chunk of change to grow down on sets of paint. I just buy a color here and there and mix most of them.

2 most important paints are easy! Black and White :D

After that I would generally like a something blueish for help with shadows, although I'm not too specific on what. Then it's really based on what color's I'm using, lol.

I was gonna say that. Btw you could just use a Lamp black as opposed to a true black and just stick with those two colors. I have always preferred a Mars black. I haven't seen mars, ivory, or lamp black in model paint though at least not under those specific names.

Edited by Griffsnog
Ask the elder Gods

2 most important paints are easy! Black and White :D

After that I would generally like a something blueish for help with shadows, although I'm not too specific on what. Then it's really based on what color's I'm using, lol.

Says the guy whose pallet consists of three colours.. O_o

You should really paint some more Eric..

..By the way, how's the Lord Chompy Bits coming along?

I should paint more! I keep saying that, and saying that, and saying that....I'm just too busy making games and minis for you all! :D

Which is very much appreciated :)

He is sitting on my desk right in front of me, LCB WILL get done one of these days, maybe before next gencon :D

One mini a year, huh? And I considered myself to be a slow painter..

Looking forward to see it, whenever it's done :)

Even people who despise GW (no small minority) often swear by their foundation paints and washes. I see it all the time in forums, prefaced by "Now, I'm not a fan of Games Workshop ..." or "Keep in mind I hate GW, but ..."

No better endorsement.

The Reaper Triads are neat. Base, shadow, highlight. Great idea.

I agree with the washes. I thought foundation paints were good when they came out.. and they are but only for a subset of paint jobs, I would use them in a heartbeat if I was painting 300 orks in 4 days again. However anything where I want a nice paint job I just find they are a bit thick so you lose detail and if your water them down they can seperate and go chalky. So I've replaced Tallarn flesh with Brown Sand from Vallejo and I find it cover well enough that it does the job.

I agree with the washes. I thought foundation paints were good when they came out.. and they are but only for a subset of paint jobs, I would use them in a heartbeat if I was painting 300 orks in 4 days again. However anything where I want a nice paint job I just find they are a bit thick so you lose detail and if your water them down they can seperate and go chalky. So I've replaced Tallarn flesh with Brown Sand from Vallejo and I find it cover well enough that it does the job.

I find mixing the foundation with it's respective color and wash will keep it from beginning chalky and being over thinned. Without going into it too deep you keep the chemisty right so that the paint sets. This also keeps the paint from drying out too quickly.

Personally, I would say must haves are the GW foundation range (all are fantastic, and give great coverage) as well as the GW washes.

In addition to those, Chestnut ink and Fleshwash ink by Cote D'Arms are fantastic. they really work well with just about everything - chestnut is great for dirtying metals, adding depth to browns, etc. While fleshwash is great for general toning on just about everything.

Acrylic Gesso as a primer, have never tryed it on a high detail mini, so water or rubbing alcohol(I think it's the right name) as thinner.

Chaos black and Skull white for high-light mix.

And then a red, purple and/or an OD green, as base color

Edited by B@mze

My only few MUST have paints are quite mundane really:

GW Bleached Bone as it highlights everything with a natural hue.

VMC Red/Rojo as it's a beautiful red over any basecoat

as for individual colour sets it all boils down to mood intended but nearly everything I own has some GW Devlan Mud or Gryphonne Sepia on it. Oh and GW Boltgun Metal :P

If I was buying again from scratch. Hmmm.

For base: Red, Blue, Yellow, Black, White. You can mix everything else.

Metallics: Brass, Copper, Silver, maybe gun metal.

A paintable Gloss and matte clear finish.

Small plastic paint containers to store mixed paints.

You don't HAVE to have a special purple or that light blue everytime you want a new tone. Mix it. As long as you have the base 5, you have everything else.

If I was buying again from scratch. Hmmm.

For base: Red, Blue, Yellow, Black, White. You can mix everything else.

Metallics: Brass, Copper, Silver, maybe gun metal.

A paintable Gloss and matte clear finish.

Small plastic paint containers to store mixed paints.

You don't HAVE to have a special purple or that light blue everytime you want a new tone. Mix it. As long as you have the base 5, you have everything else.

You dont want to know the amounts of paint i wasted trying to mix brown :D

Never had colour theory or something like it in school, its hard for me to mix from scratch, easier to adapt existing colours.