Corks?

Deuce

The grocery store. And even better, they come with a bottle full of wine! :)

Seriously though, if you're looking for a package of several corks see if there's anywhere near you that sells wine making supplies. It's not as much fun as emptying a few bottles to get them, but it will be less expensive.

If you have 2 liter bottles of soda you could also use one of those caps and glue the feet to that temporary. Thats what

often does. In the linked video he had based the mini first.

If you really want a cork you could try looking at Wine Making Supplies online. I haven't looked much though so you probably want to use Google and shop around.

Edited by MrNybbles
Kill embeded youtube clip. I just want a link.

Never been much of a wine drinker, but my last GF was, and it seemed like they all had the round-topped corks, too.

Tried the soda caps and had problems with the glue not wanting to hold.

Now that it's mentioned, though, I do think there's a home-bottling supply store nearby. Just not one of those places that springs to my mind. Thanks!

It really depends on the wine. So corks are rounded on top and some are not. For me, a rounded top does not matter since I pin the bottom of the modelcand simply push the pin into the cork.

For models that I want to base first and then paint, a Champagne cork works better ( wider top ).

Hobby Lobby has everything you'll need...

I don't know how people use Corks. My hands are WAY to big for them, so I use wooden spools, you can get a 4 pack for $1.49 at hobby lobby...

I glue my wine corks to thick cardboard or box material. That way they sit flat and can be used to hold them if necessary. But I also have fairly small hands so it's not a problem for me.

Tried the local wine supply place, and the ones they have are the straight ones (no taper). It would seem to matter a bit what shape they are for the purposes of getting them to stand. Currently I'm using craft sticks with alligator clips attached, and standing them in a piece of floral foam (havn't started on terrain, yet, so didn't have any sheet foam). It works OK, but the position it leaves me holding them in tends to be a weak grip that causes a little shaking.

I don't have a supply of paint pots, as I've only recently gotten back into minis again after about 6 years, and about 8 since I painted last.

My local Michael's just sucks, really. Kinda small compared to most of their stores is the problem, methinks.

a lot of wine bottles don't even have real cork anymore just bloody plastic annoying things which are crap for everything...so i bought a pin vice nice cheap tool that easily doubles as a hand drill for when your not insane enough to use a power drill to drill into your models...and your thumb...I only did this once i felt the vibrations under my thumb nail for good week after and it was only a 1mm drillbit (it wasn't a low powered dremmel either as i couldn't find the head small enough to hold the bit )