Kirai Questions

MisfitAngel

Cool thanks for the extra info the Rising Powers groups cards seem to lack the information the V1 cards do like McMorning's Nurses have the base contact buff but it says it ends at the closing phase specifically. Just would have been nice to spend more time playing less time playing rule raider.

But back to Kirai are there any other spirits outside her Revenge spirits good to start off with? Like I am thinking of getting some Night Terror's, The Hanged and Jack Draw and start with them and summon the others. Any other spirits to keep an eye out for?

• 4 weeks later...
Additional question: After summoning Ikryo and after ending Kirai's activation, may Ikryo immediately activate, or do standard alternating activations still apply?

Alternating Activations so you have to be very carefull some models can wipe out Ikiryo before it can activate. This is one of the reasons I quite often go for lots of low cost models, it normally guarantees I can out activate the opponent before dropping Ikiryo.

I was thinking about doing that...just skipping on the Shikome at first and using Onryo and Gaki.

I played a few games the other day and they are pretty amazing for just 5 points. I have yet to use Gaki at all, and on that note, Weigh Sins as well.

The way I figure it is that if I out-activate them and use the Ikiryo, that would get me back the Wd used to summon that thing...or if I summoned some Shikome.

I was thinking about doing that...just skipping on the Shikome at first and using Onryo and Gaki.

I played a few games the other day and they are pretty amazing for just 5 points. I have yet to use Gaki at all, and on that note, Weigh Sins as well.

The way I figure it is that if I out-activate them and use the Ikiryo, that would get me back the Wd used to summon that thing...or if I summoned some Shikome.

I rarely fail to take 5 Seishin and the Lost Love these days. 6 activations for 12 points, add to that the fact that when you summon something that gives you an extra activation, you get huge activation advantage against most crews. It's also important not to forget how powerful Summoning Ikiryo at the end of a turn, attacking, attacking again at the start of the next turn and then eating him to swap 2 cards and get 4 life back... then you can just summon him again and repeat. That gives you 2 activations with Ikiryo a turn.

new player here: picked up the kirai box and havent even played a game yet... just curious on the amount of models one should get to back up all this summoning? on average how many onryo seishin and other models will you be summoning per game and need to have on hand?

thanks!

depends how you play. I would probably aim for having 5 seishin, 2 Onryo and 4 Gaki minimum. But I have more.

thanks ratty... also if me and a couple friends all bought box sets... how possible is it to use the Kirai box set since it seems like you need extra models? Does the box set hold up at all?? and what are some strategies for the box and the beginning player?

thanks guys.

It really doesn't you need more seishin and Gaki or your at a serious disadvantage. It's similar to playing Nicodem without Mindless Zombies or Ramos without a Electrical creation.

If you have spare bases you could always mark them as Seishin and Gaki till you have a chance to get some.

• 2 months later...

since I can't find it in the rules questions and this seems like a good thread to add onto instead of creating whole new threads to answer the same questions in: how does Kirai's spirit anchor interact with Hamelin's voracious rats?

In other words: Does a killed model create a seishin, or a rat, or both? my guess is it depends on whose model is currently activated as per ROE and thus if they are both in range you go by the timing rules so just a seishin if on a Kirai controlled models activation and just a rat if on a Hamelin controlled models activation.

Or I could be totally wrong and it is both as Ratty seems to say in an old thread I have just read... figures I find it soon after posting this... but they both spawn? really? This quoted example seems... ludicrous

"As a Kirai player I made sure to ask if this meant that you could get 1 Seishin, 1 Gaki from Spirit Food and 1 Gaki from Weigh Sins and a corpse counter all off the same kill. Apparently as the Seishin which is the only reaction is a Place it is not affected by RoE. Spirit Food and Weigh Sins are both actions (even though Spirit Food is used in advance) so they are not effected by RoE either." -ratty in the ROE thread

so I can get three models to trigger off of the end result of Weigh Sins and that could be off a rat? holy moly does that change the game for me. I appologize for being such a negative Nelly about Hamelin before. Two Gaki activating after the rats should be able to decimate Hamelin's rats.

Edited by schristofersen

I've been scouting the other options for Kirai aside from the oriental stuff. Detached is kinda cool and I've been wondering that is Insidious madness any use in Kirai's crew?

I have also not found any use for the Nigth terrors yet, are they really useful with her?

What about Convict gunslinger? He's pretty solid and usually recommend for most of the crews and Kirai does seem to lack ranged combat. Detached only makes him rare 1, but thats not a big deal because I'm not planning to use more than one. Only gripe I've got that convict won't synergise pretty much with anything, but lost love could of course make it Pass Beyond and become a spirit.

Sorry for the long rant, but I'm still new and this game seems so full of possibilites so I have to keep asking :D

I've been scouting the other options for Kirai aside from the oriental stuff. Detached is kinda cool and I've been wondering that is Insidious madness any use in Kirai's crew?

I have also not found any use for the Nigth terrors yet, are they really useful with her?

What about Convict gunslinger? He's pretty solid and usually recommend for most of the crews and Kirai does seem to lack ranged combat. Detached only makes him rare 1, but thats not a big deal because I'm not planning to use more than one. Only gripe I've got that convict won't synergise pretty much with anything, but lost love could of course make it Pass Beyond and become a spirit.

Sorry for the long rant, but I'm still new and this game seems so full of possibilites so I have to keep asking :D

Jack Daw is amazing, he can combine with Kirai's mobility and Ikiryo to make a brilliant character killer, I've discussed it quite a bit on the Kirai Tactica Thread.

Hanged are good, You can lower the enemies defence against spirits with Kirai and then stop them healing for the rest of the game. Very good against crews with use soulstones or against Lelu/Lelitu combos.

Insidious Madnesses are amazingly fast which is good for end game objective grabs or collecting treasure. You can move them onto the treasure. Swirl in a fresh spirit, pick it up and then walk back once, all in the first turn. Also very good as a target point for Into the Spirit World. On top of that they have their Wp debuffs and you can sac them for another flip on Initiative if you really need it.

Snowstorm doesn't seem to do much for her.

Dead Rider and Rogue Necromancy are better targets for the Lost Love to make into spirits, Imagine how hard to kill a Dead Rider with Spirit would be, then add to that all the movement tricks Kirai can do with them. I like the idea of swirling the Dead Rider into combat and then dragging the target back to the rest of your crew.

Thanks for the answers :) I already though up some more questions for you :D

Can I use the Seishin beacon to summon a new one if I sacrifice Seishin say for Evolve Spirit? What even is a good target for Evolve Spirit?

No it's says when a living, undead or spirit is killed. Killed and Sacrificed are two different things.

• 1 month later...

I started my malifaux journey with Seamus and have been playing him for the past few months whilst learning the game etc and have just expanded my ressers to include Kirai and her crew with some Gaki and Shikomes to add as well.

Having now played 3 games with her, she does take some getting used to but I found in my last game quite a few things "clicked"' and also really like the fluff behind her.

In summary, stick with her buddy and she will reward you - don't forget to play the strategy and not all guns blazing to kill stuff :)

Kirai does very well at going all guns blazing and then finishing strategies on turn 6 if you didnt do them already! Theres very little reason not to alphastrike your opponents on turn 1 with Kirai most of the time. Always play for max Ikiryo activations first - she's one of the few masters (read:book 2 masters....) who can kill first, strategise later, without having to worry about being too far away to finish objectives later. Not that you shouldnt think about it, but dont let it deact from your killing potential any earlier than it needs to.

Thanks for the answers :) I already though up some more questions for you :D

Can I use the Seishin beacon to summon a new one if I sacrifice Seishin say for Evolve Spirit? What even is a good target for Evolve Spirit?

I quite like sacrificing the Ikiryo for Evolve Spirit when it gets low on wounds, or after it has activated.

You have to chuck two cards, but you can heal wounds and get a "free" onryo/gaki, and then summon Ikiryo again.