Water Effects

Doctor Amos

When I got my Lilith crew, I thought it would be powerful fun to have the models rising fully-formed from a pool of blood. A simple water effect, I thought, no problem. Well, four different water effects later, I have no techniques that produce the desired effect.

My question is this: How might I produce the wet, sticky blood pools I so desire?

Edited by Doctor Amos

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/thoughtengine/?action=view&current=SDC10020.jpg

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/thoughtengine/?action=view&current=SDC10021.jpg

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/thoughtengine/?action=view&current=SDC10019.jpg

I did this with dark green paint on the bottom, clear blue (Tamiya x-23) on top, ripply layers of white glue, hot glue for the splashes, and white paint highlights.

Also see if you can find October 2010 Model Rail. It has an article on all levels of water simulation.

I have a Khorne Daemon army which I modelled as marching across a carpet of skulls floating on a sea of blood (standard, common as muck, garden variety fluff, really).

The "sea of blood" bit came up really easy as per Cyberakuma's advice:

PVA glue

'Calli' Burgundy calligraphy ink (product code 013)

multiple coats of high gloss varnish.

To make it even more 'other-worldly', varnish the PVA base with FolkArt 'Sparkle Vanish' first - a few coats. This will leave metallic bits on the 'blood', which the wondrous Calli Burgundy will then dye blood red.

Ideal for Neverborn wading across a sea of enchanted blood.

(That calligraphy ink is so good, that even though it's been happening every so often for around a decade now, my wife gets fooled every time I spill some on myself in to thinking I've cut myself.)

Blood is actually opaque, so a water-effect wouldn't look quite right anyway. I recommend sculpting the shape you want out of your favorite modeling putty including any ripples and whirlpools or grasping hands that you want, basecoating it with a mix of red and fuchsia, then wash that with a red-brown, and finally glazing it with transparent red (red ink will do in a pinch) mixed with gloss medium or varnish a couple times. It'll give your red a lot of depth and shine.

Of course you could skip a couple steps and use Tamiya Clear Red, which is more viscous and sticky than the acrylics you're probably used to. It's pretty popular for blood effects. Here's a tutorial.

I did something similar to the Massive Voodoo tutorial. Couldn't find UHU glue,so I used Water Effects from Woodland Scenics and Tacky Glue from Hobby Lobby mixed with Tamiya Clear Red. Both get good and stringy. Doing my Dreamer crew in blood bases. Some wonderfully gross stuff.

what's your opinion of the woodland scenics water effects as i've been told the vallejo ones shrink too much and the best bet is still 2 part clear resin is this stuff any good for getting a flat pool?

what's your opinion of the woodland scenics water effects as i've been told the vallejo ones shrink too much and the best bet is still 2 part clear resin is this stuff any good for getting a flat pool?

Best stuff I have found for doing water is Envirotex Lite.

I'm using the Water Effect stuff only because I want to string it.

The Water Effect does settle and shrink a bit but,I wat for it to dry and add another layer.

I think the Clear Gel Tacky Glue will be good for small spots.It strings good too.

Anyone have a good way to place something around the base so you can build up the water above the base? I want to do a water effect that goes above the lip of the base.

All problems can be solved with Hot Glue... LOL... and a really steady hand.... Though for tha tyou will want a low temperature glue that will set faster and not spread as much...