Lady J vs Guild

Peoples Champ

I WAS actually implying that it works like that. It came up during one of our earlier games and I thought I've found the answer in this post:

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10258&highlight=Riposte+trigger

However, searching through the forums now, I see that most people play it differently - since when did this change?

Okay I was unaware of that ruling. Seems very strange to me.

I explained why it shouldn't work in my previous post.

1 - You can only take one trigger per duel, Riposte is your chosen trigger.

2 - Even then it's a Df-duel, you shouldn't be allowed to take Cb triggers.

Probably worth asking again :/

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still maintain that she's the melee expert master in a shooting faction. She's going to to look underpowered just because of that.

Further example, if they created a gunslinging Neverborne ranged Master, it would never, ever, ever be able to come close to competing with Perdida. But it would give the Borne something they didn't have before.

This I agree with-You can takie a very shooty crew led by LJ-would be a very solid all round crew

Reading your post it also made my wonder - the only way I could explain it is that Riposte does grant you a Strike (not just a damage flip), where the dual totals are already decided (previous duel totals), therefore you get to activate the trigger.

But I agree it is something that requires some more clarification.

I've always played Faster'n You as not granting a strike, and thus not being eligible for another trigger. It morphs the attack into a hit against your opponent via the trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

I run both Perdita and Lady J, and I was for awhile leaning on Lady J heavily b/c the guy I normally play was doing Resurrectionists. She beats the tar out of them, don't even worry about the low Df. Especially with that (2) Whatever it is that wounds everything Undead. Pull that off in the middle of a Rez army with a Cheat AND Soulstone and set that Duel Total above 20, and you can kiss most of your opponent's army goodbye. It's very satisfying!

Now, if you're fighting AGAINST Lady J, one tactic that surprisingly worked with Perdita was to tie Lady J up with Santiago: Since he's Hard to Kill, he can theoretically hold out for some time, and although it sounds crazy, I started firing into the combat with Perdita. His Bulletproof can shirk off a little bit if Perdiat accidentally hits him, and if Perdita nails Lady J, that's when you pour on the Cheats and Ss and make her pay for that low Df.

Edited by Warboss Walton
Thought of something to add

I have noticed a lot of talk about LJ’s survivability by way of looking at her 5 df stat. First off this is a game of combos and maneuverability and well out thinking your opponent. I think we can all agree on that one. One of the tricks I do when facing a ridiculous firing squad on the other side of the table is use my death marshals. That pine box is not just for the person you are playing against. If there is a ton of shooting I toss LJ right in the box. Then march the death marshal up then with any luck they are able to kill him off wile in range of a juicy target just. He makes his dying attack POP LJ is ready to activate and it happens to be my turn.

LJ was my first master and still one of my favorite. When I break out my guild chances are I’m using her as she has never let me down yet.

First off that pic is awesome I think I'm seeing some wallpaper action in the future.

Second I think the only people who can soundly answer your questions Jonas is the wyrd staffers them selves all we can do is toss out our opinions. Ya it would be cool if she had something like damage mitigation but I can't wait to see her avatar form. All in all I think she is pretty solid but it all depends on your play style.

At the risk of starting this up again, it was less a focus on her 5 Df, and more a comment (which really seemed to rub some posters the wrong way)

Here's how I find Justice survives best: flanking, control hand and stones.

Seriously.

1. Flanking: I almost always flank Justice. She's fast, you don't lose alot from her being on a flank, and what you do lose, you more than get back in psychology and the "weedwacker" effect when she cuts in from a flank. Her 2" melee + extra melee attack means she can move in, destroy something, then move another 5" plus her melee range to stay engaged. You have to space you models more than 7" apart laterally to avoid this, and frankly, it doesn't happen alot. If nothing else, if they turn to face justice, the marshalls go to town from the side and blow them apart. I've faced some masters (Pandora) where this doesn;t work out so well, but I think it's more how nasty Pandora is, more than anything else. It works VERY well vs Lilith for me. She tries to stay very far away from my Cb9-11.

2. Control hand: Aside from a stash of nice Rams (for double crits hitting weak for 4 damages each from the marshalls) I like to try and keep 1-2 nice high masks for Justice. When I flank, I usually have a few turns to fish these out of the deck, so when she does hit, I have some nasty ripostes up my sleeve. Marshalls can die if I don't flip well and can't spare them the mask. At least they get a parting shot. Justice is much more valuable.

3. Stones: I just find she needs a solid stash, like 6-8. Use liberally once you hit their lines. With sword style, she doesn't need to worry about stoning most swings, so she can use them to add to Df (and maybe trigger further ripostes) or to heal/prevent damage.

That's how I keep Justice alive. Df5 is not great, but she has a gross Df trigger you can easily stack for and she comes with 4 stones, so saving just 2 more somewhere at minimum helps alot. That, and make them work to get at her.

Lady J's best defense is her offensive capabilities. It's as straightforward as that.

She doesn't have the same bells and whistles other Masters do, and that's intentional. You'll notice that pretty much no Master plays the same way as any other Master so drawing parallels isn't as easy as it sounds. Sure, she's a melee fighter like Lilith, but LJ has a holster full of death where Lil doesn't.

She is a heavy-hitting beatstick with ranged capabilities, board debuffs vs. the Resurrectionists (anyone with Undead, not just Res) and that just about covers it. There isn't a convoluted design reason other than 'that's how she was intended.'