Painting with the speed of a thousand dead courtesans in stasis chambers

Soundwave

Yeah, actually, Simulacrum has a cool enough model anyways (though I'm waiting to see what they do with plastic avatars)so doesn't really need it...

And, yes, it would hardly be right if it didn't represent a big killy piece.

Indeed, I figured I'd get one eventually anyways. This way I can use Izamu and still stay in theme with mcm. All depends on final rules I guess ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Shoulda' recognized your basework and palate :)

First, criticism, since I have some and want to get it out of the way before talking about the awesome. As a preeetty big yoshi/mario fan (haven't played any a bajillion times like Ocarina, but still like 'em), so, I...umm... might come off as a bit of a nerd.

"Yoshi"s (I don't know how do posessive quotations...) chest is probably my only real sticking point- the white area is a bit green (which could be a choice for "realism") and a bit wide- I'd have pulled it in. Similarly, don't know if it was a choice to move towards realism or to separate it from the tongue, but I'd have done the loin cloth to match yoshi's red and white saddle.

The tongue is also where I feel something could have been modified- wish either it was in the traditional yoshi lunge (which could have revealed your chin better, and I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't think you could do it, but do based on your other work) or was retracting with prey it was lashing in. Or with something really disturbing from LCB's chest mouth.

Now that the complaints are out of the way, the base is awesome and my favorite part of the execution/concept. If I forgot to comment on it in my "best base" post, it was a criminal oversight. It looks great, and took what otherwise might have turned out as an average or slightly confusing reference and made it really thematic and immediately both a clear reference and a nice twist on the sensibility of the original. Also, I like your weathering work a lot, and the base is no exception. The cracks in particular look strong at a distance.

Seeing the beginnings of the crew, even more impressed by the theme, and am looking forward to seeing what the goombas look like, painted up. Also, while I think the "?" block is way more recognizable as a single piece, I wish the narrative would have been the Dreamer on the [?] and him with LCB on the empty block face thingy (looks a bit like [ \ / ]), i.e. "yoshi" popped out of the block in what could only be a terrifying way to the poor koopas. edit: to clarify, I do think it was the right choice in the vacuum of a single entry rather than as part of teh crew. Also, I really enjoy the theme reflecting the mechanic of yoshi repeatedly appearing to wreck things, then gets hit and runs away, only for mario to bust one out of another block and start the reign of terror again. Or, at least, that's always how it was for me as a kid.

Also, I've tried and failed (tried and died) to pull together a video game crew and never gotten one off the ground. Kudos for living the dream... *ahem*, no pun intended. Really. Kinda' wish it was.

Edit 2: also, what do you sculpt with? Looks like it holds a sharp edge, and I've been looking at new media to work with...

Edited by SpiralngCadavr

Haha, those are awesome! I love themed crews and you sir have an awesome imagination! That is one messed up Yoshi *grin*

Thanks! Now I just hope to keep the momentum going...

Some Batman minis are holding me back, though. :(

Great idea with using Mario theme for this one, adds another dimension to these fantastic minis. Combined with an excellent paintjob it makes for a truly unique piece. I also really like the WIP shots of Daydreams.

Thanks!

Shoulda' recognized your basework and palate :)

First, criticism, since I have some and want to get it out of the way before talking about the awesome. As a preeetty big yoshi/mario fan (haven't played any a bajillion times like Ocarina, but still like 'em), so, I...umm... might come off as a bit of a nerd.

"Yoshi"s (I don't know how do posessive quotations...) chest is probably my only real sticking point- the white area is a bit green (which could be a choice for "realism") and a bit wide- I'd have pulled it in. Similarly, don't know if it was a choice to move towards realism or to separate it from the tongue, but I'd have done the loin cloth to match yoshi's red and white saddle.

The tongue is also where I feel something could have been modified- wish either it was in the traditional yoshi lunge (which could have revealed your chin better, and I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't think you could do it, but do based on your other work) or was retracting with prey it was lashing in. Or with something really disturbing from LCB's chest mouth.

First of all - Thanks for the criticism, seriously. Since it was competition and stuff, I know I felt did was rushed in certain places, which is a pity when it's a lovely mini like that, but I still appreciate the comments. Lately I've felt that my "improvement curve" has been sloping and that I'm not really doing anything better than I did a year ago, so I'm happily grasping whatever straws of suggestions I get.

Regarding the white area - I'm not sure if it was a good decision, but I went with the more greenish white to keep it separated from the colors of the claws, I didn't want it to look like they were the same material. Someone more experience would probably be able to pull it off even with the same boney whites. Only reason for its width is that the "tummy-mouth" is that wide, and I thought it would look weird if the mouth stretched out beyond the white area.

Regarding the loincloth - I did consider doing it red/yellow but as you suspected I didn't want it to blend in with the tongue. Had I positioned the tongue in another way I think it would have been doable, but at the time of sculpting

Thanks for taking the time to write this down though! I know this particular model won't go into the soapbox to be re-done, but there are more models down the line, and these things help out in their future processes :)

Now that the complaints are out of the way, the base is awesome and my favorite part of the execution/concept. If I forgot to comment on it in my "best base" post, it was a criminal oversight. It looks great, and took what otherwise might have turned out as an average or slightly confusing reference and made it really thematic and immediately both a clear reference and a nice twist on the sensibility of the original. Also, I like your weathering work a lot, and the base is no exception. The cracks in particular look strong at a distance.

Thanks! I definately felt that the base needed to tie in with the theme to, as you said, keepi it from being a confusing reference. Wish I had more time to work with the base though, it sort of ended up being done the very last few days..

Seeing the beginnings of the crew, even more impressed by the theme, and am looking forward to seeing what the goombas look like, painted up. Also, while I think the "?" block is way more recognizable as a single piece, I wish the narrative would have been the Dreamer on the [?] and him with LCB on the empty block face thingy (looks a bit like [ \ / ]), i.e. "yoshi" popped out of the block in what could only be a terrifying way to the poor koopas. edit: to clarify, I do think it was the right choice in the vacuum of a single entry rather than as part of teh crew. Also, I really enjoy the theme reflecting the mechanic of yoshi repeatedly appearing to wreck things, then gets hit and runs away, only for mario to bust one out of another block and start the reign of terror again. Or, at least, that's always how it was for me as a kid.

That's...a great idea! Agreed that it would have made the reference less clear for the competition, but that's obviously how it should have been done. At least I can go ahead and do it on some future base for someone else... Like Coppeluigi, maybe...

Also, I've tried and failed (tried and died) to pull together a video game crew and never gotten one off the ground. Kudos for living the dream... *ahem*, no pun intended. Really. Kinda' wish it was.

Still plenty of time to give up and never finish this project too, though!

Also, an extra magic mushroom to you for the added puns.

Edit 2: also, what do you sculpt with? Looks like it holds a sharp edge, and I've been looking at new media to work with...

GF9 Grey stuff:

post-5298-13911931768064_thumb.jpg

Then I use a standard Citadel sculpting tool and some random assortments of other scultping thingamajigs I bought in some now-closed down store some years ago.

• 1 month later...

Really nice details, yeah. Looking forward to seeing what other weird versions of characters you're doing.

Thoughts on drawing from Yoshi's Island? Seems fitting, what with the kid Mario. (Of particular note, if you haven't played it, is that the vast majority of the bosses get souped up and huge with magic, i.e. the 3 Nephilim phases)

Thanks for the kind words, it's been a real fun project so far.

Not sure what to start on though. I'm thinking Widow Weaver or Alps. Prolly Alps...

Is that a real Depleted or a print in the last pic?

It's the real deal.

Thoughts on drawing from Yoshi's Island? Seems fitting, what with the kid Mario. (Of particular note, if you haven't played it, is that the vast majority of the bosses get souped up and huge with magic, i.e. the 3 Nephilim phases)

I've never really played Yoshi's Island that much, but I've built a gaming machine in the living room on which I tried it out, first few levels, and I'll prolly have to give it some more shots. I mean, it's a very cute game.

It's a really intelligently designed game, certainly one of the best sidescrollers around. Not an all-time favorite, but that's more a taste thing (constantly moving levels stress me out too much for the casual play that means I can pick up a game whenever) than because it's not a great game. Certainly worth trying it out again.

And yeah, it's certainly one of the cutest games I own.

It's a really intelligently designed game, certainly one of the best sidescrollers around. Not an all-time favorite, but that's more a taste thing (constantly moving levels stress me out too much for the casual play that means I can pick up a game whenever) than because it's not a great game. Certainly worth trying it out again.

And yeah, it's certainly one of the cutest games I own.

Me and a few chums have a SNES-night planned this weekend... At the moment Donkey Kong and Lost Vikings seems like the highest runners, but if I can find it for a cheap buck on eBay I might go ahead and snag it as well...

Cute is good, because cute makes great scary!