First game - Zoraida

JokerSP3

Hello Everyone,

My name is Ben and I just started playing Malifaux. After reading about all the different masters I was torn between Mcmourning and Zoraida but after reading the Zoraida tactics post by Rathnard I was sold on Zoraida!

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my first game - its a little long and fairly short hand but hopefully you can understand it.

Just one note - when fighting Zoraida vs Viks it is annoying that 2 of his units I am unable to Obey...

The game was against a friend of mine:

35SS

Mountain terrain

My goal : Treasure Hunt ( Bodyguard on Zoraida (announced) and Hold Out (unannounced) )

His goal : Claim Jump ( Hold Out (unannouncted) and Thwart (he forgot to announce this one) )

He had: Viktorias, Hans, Bishop, Misaki, Lady Hammer(whatever her name is)

I had: Zoraida, voodoo doll (of course), 3 slurids, Bad Juju, mature nephilim.

I started behind a hill in one corner of the map and he started in the other corner between the river and a house.

My first turn (not thinking) I used leap and double move to move my 3 slurids to the middle of the map and surround the treasure ( I couldn't pick it up this turn).

Not realizing how long Hans range was he managed to kill 1 slurid on his first shot and 1/2 kill another.

I activated the mature nephilim and carried Zoraida to the top of the hill in front of me.

He activated the Viktorias and moved the first one and pulled the other to the forward one. The second one used a range shot and killed the second slurid that was already injured.

I activated Zoraida and created a voodoo doll with conduit on Masaki - who then charged and almost killed Hans in the first strike.

He activated Bishop and double moved to the center of the map but was unable to attack any of my slurids.

I activated voodoo doll and finished off hans with the second obey on masaki.

He activated masaki and moved her towards the center of the map.

I activated summon on Bad Juju and summoned him behind his army to hopefully distract him.

He activated Lady Hammer and managed to just barely get in range after a charge across the river (3" range melee!!!!). She did 6 damage to him!!

So that was turn 1... I didn't do the best job but I guess it wasn't horrible... :-p

Next turn I first got the last remaining slurid to grab the treasure and move back close to my starting zone. He charged bishop forward again.

I activated voodoo, had masaki charge lady hammer, and missed. Companion Zoraida, summon new voodoo on hammer (to try to move her in range of Bad Juju flurry). Missed the obey.... :(

He tried to have Masaki charge Bad Juju but failed the terrifying WP check. I moved Bad Juju forward and hit Hammer for a bit of damage.

He moved his Viktorias forward (they are now roughly near the middle of the map).

I charged my Mature Nephilm at Bishop and hit him pretty hard but missed the melee expert.

Next turn I flurried Bad Juju on Hammer and got her down to 1 WD (hard to kill :( ). I then activated landslide to try to finish her and flipped Black Joker !!!!! He activated hammer and killed Bad Juju.

I activated slurid to get it out of range of Bishop. He activated bishop and tried to paralyze mature nephilm - He flipped something really high, and REALLY not wanting my mature to be paralyzed I put down red joker to save him. He then finished bishops turn by doing 1 damage to Nephilm (and taking 1 dmg from black blood).

I activated Mature Neph and killed bishop with my 3 strikes. He activated Viktorias and managed to charge my Mature Neph with Paid Masamune whatever - after flipping red joker for damage he did like 14 damage and mature neph went down. Now seeing Zoraida a little too close to the Viks (and unable to obey either of them and my conduit on Hammer who was at the other end of the map) - I went crow and flew down to the slurid holding the treasure. Thinking that I could carry the treasure while flying I gave the treasure to Zoraida (which it turns out I can't do that).

He charged Masaki forward which put her within a leap and a charge range of my slurid. I manage to get lucky, flip severe damage on both talons and teeth attacks, killing masaki.

Next turn I resummon Bad Juju in my starting zone next to zoraida, he moves viktorias closer (killing the Slurid with one of them) and moves hammer towards his claim zone in mid. I charge the nearest Vik with Juju and completely miss.

Last turn he kills Juju has both Viks(with full WD) surrounding Zoraida (both within 2") and I have 1 WD left - i cast the spell that pushes enemies away from me, blasting both of them out of my starting zone, activate Raven and fly far away (leaving treasure in my starting zone). He tries to chase but can't reach her.

Game ends with:

Me: 2 VP (treasure in deployment) + 2VP (bodyguard) + 1VP (no enemies in deployment) = 5 VP

Him: 4 VP (hammer in claim) + 1 VP (Thwart) + 1VP (none of my units in his starting zone) = 6 VP

I realize now that if I had re-summoned Bad Juju into his starting zone I might have actually won the game... Because my opponent would have had to choose between stopping Juju and taking the center with Hammer. Also I think that I should have obeyed the mature neph immediately after killing bishop to charge his Vik so that she couldn't have charged him.

Any other advice I could get?

Edited by JokerSP3
spelling

After reading about all the different masters I was torn between Mcmourning and Zoraida but after reading the Zoraida tactics post by Rathnard I was sold on Zoraida!

Yay! Another disciple has been converted to the Cult of Zoraida. :D

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my first game - its a little long and fairly short hand but hopefully you can understand it.

Not a problem.

Just one note - when fighting Zoraida vs Viks it is annoying that 2 of his units I am unable to Obey...

I wouldn't worry about that. If anything, fighting against the Viks with Zoraida is great. The Viks and a fair chunk of their minions are 'glass cannons' (large damage output, low resiliance), making it them prime targets to just obey into killing each other. ;)

He had: Viktorias, Hans, Bishop, Misaki, Lady Hammer(whatever her name is)

I had: Zoraida, voodoo doll (of course), 3 slurids, Bad Juju, mature nephilim.

As you found out, Hanns can be a pain to fight against since he can shoot you from behind forests with a high damage, long ranged gun. If it's possible, he should generally be your first model to neutralise, either with Super Juju (once Hanns' friends have started running up ahead of him), an obeyed model or possibly even Silurid (they're certainly fast enough, and he can't target more than one per turn).

As for your own crew, I think taking both the Mature Neph and Super Juju is not the best approach. That's alot of points in two models and while they're both pretty beefy, there's some value in spreading your offensive power over several models. Having more minions allows you to wait until your opponent has activated his more important models before you activate yours, which can be an excellent advantage when you're trying to mess up your opponents minions without getting ganged up on in retaliation.

My first turn (not thinking) I used leap and double move to move my 3 slurids to the middle of the map and surround the treasure ( I couldn't pick it up this turn).

This is the kind of thing you need to be careful about. Rushing to the treasure token can work in the right situations, but other times it's better to hold off until your opponents crew is otherwise preoccupied.

In this case and with your crew, a better approach might have been to summon Super Juju to the treasure and have him pick it up, rather than your Silurid. He could at least held off the Viks crew for a bit (with some backup in the form of your Mature) while the silurid leap/interact/wk with Super Juju and then each other to move the treasure token back to your deployment zone.

Another option is obeying whichever model has the treasure token for a bit of extra distance. ;)

I realize now that if I had re-summoned Bad Juju into his starting zone I might have actually won the game...

The only problem with that is he didn't actually announce his Hold out scheme. Still, when you're not sure of the scheme it's always a good idea to 'cover your bases' and try and disrupt as many of your opponents possible schemes as possible. With book 1 it's not too hard - there's only 6 possible schemes your opponent could pick anyway. Book 2 is trickier though - I've yet to really take a look at how best to approach that.

It looks like we didn't read the errata correctly before we played -

My Conduits never applied poision damage, and his Hans got to shoot 2 targets in a turn.

Also it looks like Super (Bad) Juju might be better after his V2 card than he is on my V1 card!!!!

Hopefully if I play again I will be able to win.

Also with book 2 out you can use up extra actions with Zoraida by summoning in those new dolls. The one time I proxied Zoraida quite a while ago, I found myself having extra actions on a number of turns. I just wasted them by trying to remove stupid abilities through the conduit. The remove abilities spell is such a high cost low result spell that I didn't waste the cards cheating it, so it generally failed anyway.

Would have been much better if I could have spent my time getting free little poison dolls.

Also I have a quick question -

When voodoo doll uses magical extension (obey) can he target via the conduit to ignore LOS / range?

No m8. it clearly stats in the conduct text " SHE ignores LOS and spell range. So it is only a bonus that she gets due to conduct. I'm pritty sure I'm right.

As you found out, Hanns can be a pain to fight against since he can shoot you from behind forests with a high damage, long ranged gun. If it's possible, he should generally be your first model to neutralise, either with Super Juju (once Hanns' friends have started running up ahead of him), an obeyed model or possibly even Silurid (they're certainly fast enough, and he can't target more than one per turn).

Just a note, Hans can't really be behind obscuring terrain. He still couldn't see. He'd have to be in it, and greater than 3, less than 6, to get a benefit above other models.

Ref: http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15057&highlight=Forests

Just a note, Hans can't really be behind obscuring terrain. He still couldn't see. He'd have to be in it, and greater than 3, less than 6, to get a benefit above other models.

Ref: http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15057&highlight=Forests

Sniper: This model ignores cover, obscuring terrain and intervening models when targeting ranged attacks.

Good to know - I was just wondering because the text of magical extension stated that you cast one of the masters spells and it seemed to make lore sense that the voodoo doll has the conduit so he should be able to cast through it...

Thanks for the clairification.

Yeah I was going to ask about that because it sounded like you did that in Turn 1 against Masaki.

I just started playing Zoraida myself and that was one of my questions............so the answer is we cannot correct????

After reading about all the different masters I was torn between [insert any other Master's name here] and Zoraida but after reading the Zoraida tactics post by Rathnard I was sold on Zoraida!

:bounce: I hear you loud & clear, Ben.

Rathnard's wisdom, openess & generosity has also twisted my soul along similar lines, to the point that when my initial order of Lilith & Zoraida boxes + supplementary minis (eventually, sigh) arrives, the Nephs will be definitely on the backburner till I get a hold of the Hag as my first crew.

Mind you, Karn's enthusiasm & intelligent dissertions are equally enthralling!

(Bottom line is that I will be focusing on the Neverborn for some time.) :elefant:

Top thread, Ben - keep us informed of your progress.

Joker, great choice, zoraida is my favorite, i have won every single treasure hunt with her, 3 tactics... 1.-raven her every turn, go for the treasure and retrurn, hopefully you`ll win on turn 3.

2.-summon bad juju for the treasure.

3.- use your silurids as a tag team (like rugby) pass the treasure to one another and finish obeying them for the win.

Zoraida is the perfect master for treasure hunt.