Maxvon_d's Neverborn

maxvon_d

After a bit of a break from the painting I'm back at the brushes. Still got my Rezzers to finish but I'm also working on a Pandora crew.

Here's a couple of work in progress shots of Kade and the Sorrows. More pics to come as I make more progress :)

5030643799_91e04c9c69_m.jpg

Neverborn Baby Kade WiP by Maxvon_d, on Flickr

5030644063_72aa835261_m.jpg

Neverborn Baby Kade WiP by Maxvon_d, on Flickr

5031261018_e335626ed0_m.jpg

Neverborn Sorrows WiP by Maxvon_d, on Flickr

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers all :)

I was intentionally leaving Kade very pasty looking but didn't want to go the whole unnaturally grey route. I still have a little work to do on the flesh though as I was intending to put in some light vein-work as in the official paintjob, then glaze over to blend it back "under the skin" so to speak. I was also considering a thin purple glaze in the shadow areas. We'll see.

For the bear I'm using beige and golden brown paints from Vallejo (will check the exact colour names when I am back home), with light flesh for the highlights. I decided however to use a bluish tinge to the shadows as a complementary colour, so I went and mixed in increasing amounts of a dark blue to the golden brown and applied it thinly.

Again, there's a little more to go on the teddy, I was hoping to get a bit of a textured look to the highlighting to emphasise that sackcloth look. I look forward to seeing how he looks with the stitching picked out and and the button eye and stuffing spill painted.

Kade's been a real joy to paint I must say.

Cheers all :)

I was intentionally leaving Kade very pasty looking but didn't want to go the whole unnaturally grey route. I still have a little work to do on the flesh though as I was intending to put in some light vein-work as in the official paintjob, then glaze over to blend it back "under the skin" so to speak. I was also considering a thin purple glaze in the shadow areas. We'll see.

For the bear I'm using beige and golden brown paints from Vallejo (will check the exact colour names when I am back home), with light flesh for the highlights. I decided however to use a bluish tinge to the shadows as a complementary colour, so I went and mixed in increasing amounts of a dark blue to the golden brown and applied it thinly.

Again, there's a little more to go on the teddy, I was hoping to get a bit of a textured look to the highlighting to emphasise that sackcloth look. I look forward to seeing how he looks with the stitching picked out and and the button eye and stuffing spill painted.

Kade's been a real joy to paint I must say.

You use Vallejo?! Sweet! So do i...

Do you use VMC or VGC?

A present I only have the set of VGC and a few VMC. I enjoy painting with this range due to the nature of the paints and the richer pigments... and the 17ml dropper style bottles...

I use mostly VMC because of the colour range which tend to be a bit more muted and they have good pigmentation for the most part. I have a couple of VGC, but also have a few paints from all sorts of manufacturers I have collected over the years :)

Hopefully tomorrow I'll make some good progress on Kade and the Sorrows. Already very happy with the stitching on his teddy.

Need to fix the PC hard drive before I'll be able to upload pics though :/

Did you remember the colour names?

Did you remember the colour names?

Oh yeah, sorry about that. For the teddy he was mostly based around VMC Desert Yellow which is a lovely orangey brown colour. Highlights were in VMC Beige and VMC Light Flesh. For shadows I added increasing amounts of VMC Gunship Green and touches of VMC Dark Prussian Blue.

At least I think that's what I did!

Oh yeah, sorry about that. For the teddy he was mostly based around VMC Desert Yellow which is a lovely orangey brown colour. Highlights were in VMC Beige and VMC Light Flesh. For shadows I added increasing amounts of VMC Gunship Green and touches of VMC Dark Prussian Blue.

At least I think that's what I did!

Thanks for that!

Now, using my trusty colour conversion chart, I see that they are quite similar colours to those I use from VGC... many of the VMC colours are in the VGC range, though the primaries and their shades tend to dry more muted and pastel than those in the VGC and GW ranges.

PM me if you want a copy of the chart, Im not sure if the Rules or Mods here allow posts to other forums.

• 3 weeks later...

And here's the wonderfully creepy Baby Kade all finished up.

5100930066_7c88b77327_m.jpg 5100332813_11d6878716_m.jpg

5100929684_6818171415_m.jpg 5100929308_8fe03d677f_m.jpg

(click through to see larger versions hosted on Flickr)

He was such a joy to paint, even though he was so tiny. He was also the miniature which first attracted me to the wonderfully wyrd world of Malifaux.

I'm not 100% sure about the base, thinking back I'd love to have done a Halloween theme for my Neverborn and something which contrasted a little more with Kade and his Teddy, but I wanted him to match the Sorrows so went with the autumnal sandstone theme.

Nice work on Baby Cades Bear. Care to share how you got the look?

Sure, the trick with the bear was the choice of a turquoise green tone to the shadows as a nice complement to the orange. It also helped to make him look a bit musty and ragged.

He was mostly based around VMC Desert Yellow which is a lovely orangey brown colour. Highlights were in VMC Beige and VMC Light Flesh. For shadows I added increasing amounts of VMC Gunship Green and touches of VMC Dark Prussian Blue.

• 3 months later...

Little bit more progress on my Pandora crew. I took a little painting kit away on holiday with me and managed to get most of the painting done on the Doppelganger and Candy while out there.

Just finished up the basing tonight and here they are:

5405535893_03338b41b7.jpg

Doppelganger, Malifaux Neverborn by Maxvon_d, on Flickr

5406140912_4b720afcb8.jpg

Doppelganger, Malifaux Neverborn by Maxvon_d, on Flickr

5405536095_722f54a5a6.jpg

Candy, Malifaux Neverborn by Maxvon_d, on Flickr

5406141842_20740f6b51.jpg

Candy, Malifaux Neverborn by Maxvon_d, on Flickr

They were a pleasure to paint. I especially enjoyed painting Candy's candy and I'm also happy with the Doppelganger's back, and the urn on her base - which was actually done as a bit of an afterthought.

Anyway, hope you like 'em :)