how do you all do it?

Lorenz

ok seriously I have not been painting for long and Malifaux is the first minatures game I have played that I have had to paint myself.

but how do you guys paint such amazing detail I can hardly see the model let alone hold the brush steady enough to paint eyes and ribbons and all the other crazy detail I have seen.

I just saw eye liner, pupils and the whites of some show girl's eyes. do you all paint with a needle I can not find a brush small enough to do that kind of work.

I am serious you guys are all amazing and well you suck please tell me are there any tricks I can learn to paint such detail

Sometimes it's easier to paint around detail than to paint in detail.

For example, let's say you're doing an eye with a pupil.

Instead of painting it white then making a black dot for a pupil you could:

-paint the whole eye black

-paint white around the black until you have an acceptable pupil

-use fleshtone to clean up any white that got on the face

When it comes to painting, sometimes it's actually easier to correct a mistake than to avoid making one. Counter intuitive, I know.

Now, that said, a really good painter actually probably will just paint the white in first and dot the pupil because A) it avoids mismatching tones when they correct AND B) They can.

But what I told you is s simple beginner's trick. Which I know, because I'm a simple beginner.

There are also lots of short cuts like washes and dry brushes which can get your minis to an acceptable level for the table while you hone your skills.

it's trial and error. And you have to be willing to make mistakes, don't be afraid to paint. Use layers of thin paint instead of one thick layer, and practice on a minion first before you get to paint a master.

Also, some models are easier to paint then others. If a model has a lot going on (facial structure, raised eyebrows, lips etc.) it is easier to paint details with just a simple drybrush.

I very rarely paint eyes on my models because a) it's difficult and time consuming B) I usually end up making my models cross-eyed which is pretty crap on a character model and c) in the heat of a game I rarely take time to look at my models in that much detail.

Having said that I do take pride in my painting and having been practising for 20+ years (including a stint in GW) I find that with the paints these days - foundation paints and washes from GW or other leading brands - it makes things a lot easier.

This has meant I have had to adapt my techniques over the years but that is part of the hobby and helps mould you as a good painter.

My advice? Thin your paints a lot. It is better to paint a number of thin layers than 1 thick layer that will cover any detail. Find a nice comfortable area to paint in and rest your forearms on a desk to provide support and a stable platform to paint on. If you find holding the model is difficult or you are rubbing off paint with your fingers then place the model on an unused paint pot using blu tac. And always have a good light source!

D.

I actually paint the pupil over the whites, and i have two tips.

1. Don't look for a very thin brush. Look for a brush with a sharp tip.

The paint will naturally move upwards being sucked by the brush. If you have a very thin brush with few bristles and you pick up a small drop of paint, it will go somewhere to the middle of the brush and the tip will be still dry. You can't paint a pupil with something like that and if you press it harder, you'll make a smudge.

If you have a good detail brush with a sharp tip, there will be enough paint at the end to stamp in the pupil with lightest of touches.

2. I typically pin my models to the bases. I first drill a hole in their feet, then I put a pin in and glue it in. Then I stick them into an old wine cork and use that to hold the mini while I paint them. Only after they are finished I attach them to their bases.

When I want to paint something really detailed like an eye or some very small freehand on the cloth, I actually cup my hands around this cork-handle. There's no way my hands won't tremble, but if they tremble together and the mini with them, chances are I'll hit just the right spot. :D

Works more often than not.

And last but not least, make the mini look at something. Don't just dot the eyes, dot them from the direction they are looking at. Even poorly placed dots look much better if they actually follow the tip of the sword or guns aim, than when they point straight ahead and end up looking sightless. But that may just be me.

Edited by Q'iq'el

Also another tip I was shown was if you are going to paint the eyes white first then dot the black I do it like this.

I'm right handed so ill white the right eye first.then turn the mini upside down for the left.so your brush is always sweeping outwards.if your left handed then just swap it around :)

I actually use a magnifying lens and light combination that I got from a local Michael's (craft store). I do not use it all the time, but for fine detail like the eyes, it works wonders. And I second the tip about a brush with a sharp tip. A sharp tip on a brush is very important for things like eyes.

Eyes are easy. prime black: First you paint the whole eye white ( dont worry about getting white everywhere. Then take your brush and paint a line down the center of the eye in black. then use the black to clean up the shape of the eye. takes about 5 minutes.

with regards to detail the most important thing is to plan everything in advance especially if your doing free hand. If you just pick up the model and dont have a plan you probably wont get a very good pain job. If you do free hand draw it out first with a pencil and try to make sure you keep the design simple. A little goes a long way. eyeliner is easy too, just leave a little black along the rim of the eye. watching a pro pain while they talk about what they are doing is invaluble. You tube might have a few things on it.

For me, developing skill has been a matter of desire, patience, and practice. If you want to improve your painting and are patient enough to accept your mistakes, you will improve over time. Of course if all you do is hang out on the web reading about painting, you'll amass a great deal of knowledge but no skill. So walk away from the computer, clean up your work area, and paint.

I'm going to add some comments about the brushes you use.

When I started painting I made the mistake of trying to find a really small brush to paint the details. It "kind of" worked, but never came out looking right.

One day after watching some videos and talking to other painters in my area, I realized that it's not about finding a super small brush, it's about finding a great brush that holds it's point well. I've come to love my Windsor & Newton Series 7 brushes and can't see myself painting without them.

They are a bit on the pricey side, and you have to make sure you clean them properly, but with proper care a single brush can last you quite a while.

I'd agree with the above, brushes are THE most important thing. If you are in the UK look up Rosemary & Co. Their brushes are as good as Windsor 7s and around half the price, also their customer service is second to none and you are almost guaranteed to receive your brushes within 2 days of ordering them!

Stargazer

if you cant keep the brush steady enough you might need another stance

i teach my students the following one

mini in one hand, brush in the other one (brush in the dominant one)

touch pinkies

touch handpalms

and rest your arms on the table or table edge

this gives you a very stable stance at eyelevel

when you paint somewhere where the table gets bumped a lot (like you friendy local gamestore) rest arms against your chest

If you are having problems seeing the details of a model one thing you can do is prime the model black. Once the primer has set then you can use white paint and dry brush the entire model. This will pop out all the little details and it easier to paint the details for beginning painters.

this seems like the greatest trick I have heard yet thanks a bunch

I will also look for these brushes that people have talked about

if you cant keep the brush steady enough you might need another stance

i teach my students the following one

mini in one hand, brush in the other one (brush in the dominant one)

touch pinkies

touch handpalms

and rest your arms on the table or table edge

this gives you a very stable stance at eyelevel

when you paint somewhere where the table gets bumped a lot (like you friendy local gamestore) rest arms against your chest

and I will try to use this to help steady my hands

thanks all

One of the most important things in painting is being able to control your paint. Make sure your paint is the correct viscosity and that you are using good brushes.

Using the black primer and dry brushing it is a good way to show the detail, I also know people who will paint it white and wash it with a color to show the detail.

The other important thing to remember is that many of us have been painting for years. I have been painting minis for over 20 years and have picked up many tricks over that time. My early minis pretty much sucked but I am a pretty good painter now. Be patient and it will get easier.

All the suggestions on here have been top-knotch, take them all to heart.

When you first start to paint its 90% patience and 10% ability (for example, your "natural" ability is the level to which you can concentrate and are good with your hands) - as your abilities increase the %'s switch around till eventually its more skill than patience (and you can have a conversation or give a painting tutorial quite happily whilst painting yourself).

I have early onset reumatoid arthritis in my hands (my left is MUCH worse than my right, luckily I am right handed) which means I HAVE to be patient with myself.

I'm still trundling through my Malifaux atm, but here are some of my Pulp City Miniatures.

ilb0gp.jpg

2njez4i.jpg

1fwxkw.jpg

14dog1z.jpg

So, don't lose heart - my hands are VERY problematic (especially my left, try painting when you can't hold something) from time to time and I manage it.

Just be patient (especially with yourself) and you WILL get where you want to be :D