A copycat for malifaux?

Xango

Hi, does aarklash warpack the new rackham game is imitating malifaux mecanichs or is just me? Is there no more creativity in the world?, why when something original came out, copycats arise everywhere, i`m loosing my faith in game companies trying to make money and forgetting about gamers (hello GW) shame on you Rackham!

Though it uses cards, I don't think the game mechanic for Aarklash Warpack is similar to Malifaux. And besides, it seems clear that Rackham Entertainment (who has always used cards in their mini games) can't sustain itself as a serious game company for very long anyway, so who cares. Trust me, I've been on the AT-43 bandwagon for quite some time. Now I'm thinking of selling it all and using the money to buy Malifaux stuff.

I don't really mind people using a card mechanic in their game (people have used cards to one extent or another for a while now) as long as they make a good game to go with said mechanic.

It's like all the games and games-in-production that use a d10 for resolving events.It's probably not fair to simply dismiss them as "copying "game X" just because it uses a ten-sided die (or lots of them).

As long as a game does enough to stand apart from its inspiration(s), I don't mind people borrowing good ideas.

Not so much a comment on Aarklash, but Malifaux certainly does seem to have provided 'inspiration' for a number of games companies both in terms of the mechanic but also some of the miniatures involved.

As with everything though, I imagine the gamers money will only end up flowing to those who have something unique and worthwhile to them.

DDM (WoTC) had RPG character sheets reduced to basic stat cards to accompany their miniatures for their "Skirmish" game LONG befor PP was in print
And I'm pretty sure Confrontation predated both WM and DDM (I was at their first public demo in 1995). I remember Jean Bey throwing hissy fits later on when WM "came up" with stat cards for WM. I guess that'd close the circle of Rackham "stealing" stuff from Wyrd.

Not so much a comment on Aarklash, but Malifaux certainly does seem to have provided 'inspiration' for a number of games companies both in terms of the mechanic but also some of the miniatures involved.
Really? Do you have examples off the top of your head?

Really? Do you have examples off the top of your head?

Tor Gaming have created a whole race of dolls. Freebooters Fate have utilised a card mechanic. Granted it is supposed to be sufficiently different and be a good game.

Can't think of others off the top of my head but I had previously created a thread asking why there was suddenly so many voodoo doll miniatures everywhere. So there are definately companies tapping into the themes at the very least.

NB. I know voodoo dolls and such have been around for a while and everything is somewhat deriviative of something else.

Sorry guys, my fault, probably did not explain well, in the advertising of aarklash warpack, they say that you won`t use dice (like malifaux) that the system is going to be like with the fate deck
Did they really advertise it as a "fate deck-like" system? I didn't really get into this Aarklash Warpack thing, but it didn't seem to me that they were doing anything even close to a fate deck.

Can't think of others off the top of my head but I had previously created a thread asking why there was suddenly so many voodoo doll miniatures everywhere. So there are definately companies tapping into the themes at the very least.
That's quite possible, but as Breten pointed out, using of diminutive voodoo-type dolls versions of characters in a miniature game is also a Rackham "invention". They have been (or had been) a big part of the MidNor army for many years, with quite a few models coming with a "canopic doll" more or less in their effigy (completely useless in game terms, just as cool vanity pets for the miniature)

So as far as that is concerned, there could indeed be companies tapping into the theme, but Wyrd would definitely be one of them.

Quote from rackham site:

A fantasy skirmish game

Aarklash Warpack is played without dice or rulers. Miniatures and the accompanying cards are all you need to start playing. Rules are easy-to-grasp and rich in strategic potential; you’ll learn them quickly and setup will only take a few minutes.

Each player leads a small company of fighters portrayed by miniatures. The goal is to defeat enemy companies by moving miniatures around on a gaming area that represents a battlefield (a table is enough). Fighters’ actions (moving, attacking, and so on) are simulated with the use of a deck of cards. Victory is gained through a subtle mix of chance and cunning. Imagination and strategy are key here!

IDK Rackham was very original on many aspects with confrontation many years ago. They took the gaming hobby by storm as far as most of my local gamers were concerned.

Then they got money hungery, and decided to burn all of their players by getting rid of confrontation....then they wondered why all of their players left...and most didnt bother to play AT-43 either.

Confrontation/Rackham burned themselves very badly if they had stuck to what they were good out...making the best metal minis in the game world and continued to improve confrontation as a skirmish game with alot of options the company would be one of the best on the market....Instead their mistakes have put them at the bottom of the heap and stuggling to stay alive.

I like Malifaux alot...but I will say at current their minis still dont compare to many rachham made years ago for the confrontation line. An even now me and friends will still play confrontation which has been out of print for years. It would seem to me that Rackham needs to wake up and go back to the basics.

I have to agree that Confrontation's models and rules were top notch, to such a point that I still can't resign myself to give up my models, in some kind of weird way...

HOWEVER Wyrd has demonstrated with book 2 an AMAZING ability to come with good ideas and the minis keep on improving, I think if Wyrd has now proven itself to be worth following (as long as the rules don't keep on changing like with Rackham!!!)

I'm not sure whether you guys downloaded the actual rules of Warpack, and well, it's aimed at "the younger generation" as they put it, and it is nothing really appealing at all.

Wyrd is the future for me (I just wish I could let go of my Rackham models... but I can't!!!!!)

Honestly I just about wish Rackham would die off at this point. Maybe then another company could buy the rights from them cheap and actually do a 4th edition confrontation.

I have heard the molds for the minis were all destroyed but if not would be an awesome start for a new company. Then all u would have to do is find out who their sculptors were and bam I think you would be gtg once you could start producing again.

The moulds' being destroyed is the kind of hollow statement Rackham's been known to make for years (apparently adding an -E. to their name didn't change that). They probably threw it at the old fans in a hissy fit to make it clear they had moved on from quality, metal models.

The fact of the matter is that moulds (for metal models in particular) wear out rather fast and need to be replaced often. Or "destroyed" and replaced if you want to make it a bit more dramatic ;). Since Rackham certainly kept the masters, they could make some more moulds any time they'd like. Or sell said masters.