Rising Powers: £62

yup. screw Royal Fail, the UK Government and Customs.

not only am i still the only person in the UK without Book 2, but i have to pay an additional £40 to have it delivered because "customs opened it".

close to the final straw now, much more of this luck and i'll be dropping the miniatures hobby and taking up hard drugs.

they're cheaper, more socially acceptable and have a customer base that doesn't involve 2 hour drives to meet people with similar tastes.

Customs opened it? and you have to pay the additional 40? That doesn't make sense to me. My apologies as I don't live in the UK but shouldn't that mean it's customs fault for opening it?

I think a few other people on here have had the same issue. Is customs that afraid of this book? I don't think Wyrd secretly put in a book code, one that is a how-to cause mass destruction and chaos..... or maybe they did. :D

Well, customs is there to make sure people are paying the appropriate taxes on imported goods. A lot of people tend to mark values on the customs form that are a good deal lower than the actual merchandise inside the box. So, it wouldn't surprise me if they randomly open packages now and then as a sort of spot-check inspection type of thing.

I have no real idea though, as I live in the US, so I'm just speculating.

That seriously sucks though. Why would you have to pay more than the book itself costs in customs fees??

Nope Customs can and have the right to open any package coming into the UK and then impose duty on it if it is over a certain price (£18/$27 for business to personal, £36/$54 personal to personal). I believe these prices are correct but may have been modified recently.

A way around Customs ,sometimes, is to get the sender to write 'Gift' on the package. It may still be liable to customs but sometimes it gets through.

For this reason alone I decided not to purchase my stuff during Gencon week as although I wanted LCB I did not want to pay $60 for him then another unknown amount to get him and the other gubbins into the country. Added to the fact that any parcel intercepted by Customs will no doubt languish in a sorting office for anything up to 14 days I went with the safer route of buying from a UK distributor. My Book 2 finally showed up yesterday which was a long wait but I got a free puppet deck thanks to Maelstrom's free £5 off voucher.

Sorry for waffling.

D.

Well, customs is there to make sure people are paying the appropriate taxes on imported goods. A lot of people tend to mark values on the customs form that are a good deal lower than the actual merchandise inside the box. So, it wouldn't surprise me if they randomly open packages now and then as a sort of spot-check inspection type of thing.

exactly it; they randomly open packages and charge a flat £32 for it.

then its a further £8 delivery and handling fee from Royal Fail!

there is literally nothing i can do other'n refuse the delivery and cancel the order, but as that'd cost Wyrd money i don't wanna do it!

That really sucks. :( I don't get how they can charge you a bunch of extra money to check something when you did nothing wrong. If you were trying to sneak something past customs as a gift or something and got caught, I could see. Random "hey, pay us money just because we felt like opening your package" is ridiculous though.

We'll pay that right after you pay us for lost wages on not paying the guys that swabbed the deck after they "inspected" the teas into the harbor.

Oi! You still owe us for those crates of tea you ruined. And saying they were damaged in transit and claiming on the insurance is fraud!

D.

That whole thing is rough Gav, I'm sorry that happened!

Customs opened it? and you have to pay the additional 40? That doesn't make sense to me. My apologies as I don't live in the UK but shouldn't that mean it's customs fault for opening it?

I think a few other people on here have had the same issue. Is customs that afraid of this book? I don't think Wyrd secretly put in a book code, one that is a how-to cause mass destruction and chaos..... or maybe they did. :D

Privateer Press has this issue a lot with their shipments. Apparently, US Customs are afraid that a game about giant monsters inspired by Japanese kaiju films beating the crap out of each other might have something to do with TERRORISM!! :eek:

close to the final straw now, much more of this luck and i'll be dropping the miniatures hobby and taking up hard drugs.

they're cheaper, more socially acceptable and have a customer base that doesn't involve 2 hour drives to meet people with similar tastes.

You sir are my hero I have been saying that for years.... well I can only hope that miniatures, stay your interest.

Privateer Press has this issue a lot with their shipments. Apparently, US Customs are afraid that a game about giant monsters inspired by Japanese kaiju films beating the crap out of each other might have something to do with TERRORISM!! :eek:

I think that's more to do with the fact that their shipments are coming from China than anything. Rackham had the same issues with AT-43 and Confrontation shipments, and other companies have had the same issues.