Marcus' new friends

dboeren

Here are some tidbits on all the new Beasts in the new book...

Guild Hound

3ss. Melee beast, works best in packs. Interested in tokens.

Lawyer, Secretary's Aide

7ss. Odd that he's a beast, but he's mainly a disruption model.

Night Terror

3ss. Vampire bat spirit, helps shut down shooting.

Shikome

8ss. Geisha-harpy. Aggressive hunter beast, looks nasty.

Rogue Necromancy

10ss. Undead chimera.

Malifaux Raptor

2ss. Grant the Beast characteristic to stuff and change w/out LoS.

That's it I think. All Pigs continue to be non-Beasts. There's also a non-Beast "Malifaux Rat" in there.

I'll stand by my opinion that's lasted throughout the development of these models that the Shikome are going to see a lot of play in his lists. The Rogue Necromancy might - I never got to test it as the Beast characteristic was added late and I didn't have a chance to get it on the table. Anxious to hear if the RN sees a use with Marcus.

FYI for fun: for a short time, Nekima was a beast. Wouldn't Marcus have loved to have HER on the table!

This is all theoretical since I haven't gotten to play with any of them yet:

Guild Hounds are useful if you like to play alpha strike Marcus where you Companion a ton of stuff. If you're currently packing several Silurids, consider these. Not only can they packtivate together, they have Companion (Master) as well.

Night Terrors sound like something you'll want one of, but maybe not more. He protects from shooting in a fair radius and I'm thinking one will generally do the job fine. It's only temporary until you get into melee anyway...

Raptors can put Beast on a model, and of course Marcus likes that. I figure a pack of these to be a no brainer for Marcus fans.

I don't like the idea of the Lawyer or Undead, they don't seem to make sense to me thematically. But, the Rogue Necromancy is a tough customer, sort of a pumped up Cerberus. He's got a solid ranged attack and seems like a good option to me. I just would rather get some greenstuff and patch over his undead looks to fit better with the theme is all.

I play Marcus and I just picked up Kirai. So, I *will* be getting some Shikome. Might as well use them, right? Fortunately, she's also a natural choice with Marcus. She's got a zero action Hunting Partner that allows a nearby friendly beast to share her declared Prey. They can't attack anything else, but they gain Fast and a positive flip to both attack and damage. As a ZERO action. Yeah, she'll be popular with him no doubt about it.

YES! What the list needed, lots of fast cheap stuff (molemen are cheap, but hardly fast), and alpha will be easier to do with the raptors rather than marcus's spell/beating. Good, very good :)

Not a fan of rotting meat, but the nigh haunter seems like useful addition.

Shikome's are the ultimate "ooooohhhh shit, not that model" model. There's nothing better than pointing at your opponent's master and saying "you are my prey."

another fun fact: Lucius used to be a beast as well. Interesting connotations, should he be taken in a marcus list.

I'll stand by my opinion that's lasted throughout the development of these models that the Shikome are going to see a lot of play in his lists. The Rogue Necromancy might - I never got to test it as the Beast characteristic was added late and I didn't have a chance to get it on the table. Anxious to hear if the RN sees a use with Marcus.

FYI for fun: for a short time, Nekima was a beast. Wouldn't Marcus have loved to have HER on the table!

Almost as good as the brief time during which LCB was a beast.

Almost as good as the brief time during which LCB was a beast.

I don't see the LCB being of any use to Marcus unless his statcard was very(!) different from the one now.

He's slow and not very survivable to ranged attacks. Unless he wasn't a Master you'd also only be able to include him in Brawls.

Hmm..

I share your concerns Koali, but let's have faith in Wyrd a little more, it's proven to be wise before.

Well when i read around... i think there won´t be any of the "normal" Marcusbeasts in the Lists anymore...

Hmmm....

Because silurids and waldgeists weren't the best beasts Marcus could use anyway? can't recall a game (after buying them) without 2 or 3 of them being present, they always were the models that killed the most, or grabbed objectives etc...I've been thinking a crew of 4 silurs, 1 waldy, jackalope and Marcus might be very succesful (at 30ss)

This is all theoretical since I haven't gotten to play with any of them yet:

Guild Hounds are useful if you like to play alpha strike Marcus where you Companion a ton of stuff. If you're currently packing several Silurids, consider these. Not only can they packtivate together, they have Companion (Master) as well.

Guild Hounds also give Marcus a much needed counter to the resurrectionist hordes with their Bury action, and Bloodscent makes them nasty against those cute little Terror tots. Plus with their cost and speed, they are the perfect use for "Defend Me", and with them floating around makes the Jackalope's multiply that much more useful (and for almost the cost of Myranda and the Sabretooth) you can get 5 Hounds.

Night Terrors sound like something you'll want one of, but maybe not more. He protects from shooting in a fair radius and I'm thinking one will generally do the job fine. It's only temporary until you get into melee anyway...

As for only taking one, you may want to take a look at their (0) action which makes having a few look to be more useful.

Raptors can put Beast on a model, and of course Marcus likes that. I figure a pack of these to be a no brainer for Marcus fans.

I don't like the idea of the Lawyer or Undead, they don't seem to make sense to me thematically. But, the Rogue Necromancy is a tough customer, sort of a pumped up Cerberus. He's got a solid ranged attack and seems like a good option to me. I just would rather get some greenstuff and patch over his undead looks to fit better with the theme is all.

Lawyers are possibly among some of the best new models Marcus can take, they are beasts but they serve in a support capacity and can tie up many a model, with Censure and defense being some of the best spells to use given their longer range. Granted the Lawyers are a bit easy to hit, although at first they don't seem to fit a theme but think about it, what are some common epithets for Lawyers?

the Rogue Necromancy, does fit with Marcus when you realize Marcus is the Dr. Moreau of Malifaux, while he may seem like it he doesn't always go out and find wild animals to train, some of these animals that he has, he actually created through a bit of magic genetic manipulation, and i can see him admiring the handiwork of others and not being above using others works along with his own.

I play Marcus and I just picked up Kirai. So, I *will* be getting some Shikome. Might as well use them, right? Fortunately, she's also a natural choice with Marcus. She's got a zero action Hunting Partner that allows a nearby friendly beast to share her declared Prey. They can't attack anything else, but they gain Fast and a positive flip to both attack and damage. As a ZERO action. Yeah, she'll be popular with him no doubt about it.

Lawyers + Shikome == Win. :)

I think you are all missing something huge - Night Terrors aren't insignificant. We'll get back to that in a moment.

They fly 6" for a walk and can pull others for a 0 action - this translates into an 18" range, guaranteed. I've seen the Cerebus noted as "ridiculous" for being able to move 19" in a round. But here, these little guys don't have to cast to do, can fly for the whole movement and are significantly cheaper to boot. Their "Attracted to Noise" is just gravy.

They're not exactly fragile, either, especially for the cost. At ht 1, fast and mobile, they're easy to hide. But their DF and WD are both solid, and their other abilities round out these characteristics to make them not so easy to bring down, played well.

So why do you care, Master Marcus? Let's take a look at the new Schemes, shall we? You mean the Arcanists have two schemes that require models to get to remote portions of the board, for lots of victory points? Ah, but they can't be completed by Insignificant models. If only we had cheap, non-Insignificant models...

• 1 month later...

not very many people seem to be to interested in the RN, but i think he brings alot to the table. im a big fan of true form over roar, not only is it easier to cast but it also hits those pesky undead that seem to bother marcus so much

and his scent of death+terrifiying is nice to help keep him a little safer, especially with the raptors making more things beasts, and a howl and stare down, i dont foresee to many big melee baddies hurting him

although my new favorite model is definitely the lawyer; giving your defend me target hard to wound 2 seems very nice, a waldgeist with armor 2 and and hard 2 and 7 wounds, should stay alive a good while, and not to bad at hurting things either

• 1 month later...

not sure if anyone has tried this yet but I was thinking of rolling with Marcus and a lawyer then Wp bombing people with howl. With a potential 6 point Wp swing the lawyer can then force a moral duel causing someone to fall back then smash them with smell fear especially if you used shikome's share prey. wont work on all construct or undead crews but then you work the other Wp spells he has as well for some flip bonuses and penalties. you can also stack this with the night terrors -2 Wp trigger wich makes for a +3/-5 Wp bubble so at an 8 pt advantage you pretty much get those Wp duels at will. also consider shikome can for them to use Wp instead of defense and you can make someone like perdita or lilith take all those hits in the face.