Obey and Once Per Turn actions

FrozenMangos

Hey all,

If Obey is used to cast a spell that may only be used once per turn, is that spell unavailable to the Obeyed character in it's subsequent activation in the same turn? In other words, could you use Obey to waste another character's once-per-turn spell?

As an example - if I cast Obey on Sonnia Criid and have her cast Flame Wall which has the characteristic: "This spell may be cast only once per turn and lasts until the End Closing Phase," is Sonnia then unable to cast Flame Wall in her activation in the same turn?

My initial thought is that yes, as other rules specifically state "This spell may be cast once per activation," once-per-turn spells are used up during Obey and cannot be used by the character later in the turn. There are some interesting applications for this, and I'd like to hear what your thoughts are.

As extra credit - Is the answer the same for spells that state "may only be cast once per Crew, per turn" (like Tina's Ice Pillars spell)? Essentially - if I cast Obey on a character, is that character considered to be a part of my Crew, or is it still a part of the opponent's Crew?

Edited by FrozenMangos

Once per Activation means just that.

With Obey, the model is immediately "Activated" and performs the action.

Once per turn, however means once per turn. Period.

Once per turn, per Crew means that models on the crew that attempt to cast said spell can only do it once.

Also, Obey can't target Masters as per the Extra Errata link in my sig.

Quick add on question, cast once per activation/turn.

If you attempt to go for the lucky flip as a last ditch effort, and say cast obey. The flip is unsuccessful, could you try and cast it again - technically the spell has not been cast.

Or am I getting to literal about the wording ??

You still cast it successful or not.

So what about Hamelins "growing command" ability? As per the errata it seems to imply that you can cast obey twice in a single activation if you get the trigger off.

So for instance;

First action = Obey --> optionally triggers into Pipers Lure or Irresistable Dance

Second action = Pipers Lure --> triggers into Obey

The FAQ clarifies he can do it 3? times (his growing command ability allows you to cast it again).

Only thing I find in the FAQ about Hamlin is about Ht1 models.

Obey can only be cast once per activation, Growing Command also points out that each spell can only be cast once per activation using the trigger.

Has this been changed or updated recently?

Only thing I find in the FAQ about Hamlin is about Ht1 models.

Obey can only be cast once per activation, Growing Command also points out that each spell can only be cast once per activation using the trigger.

Has this been changed or updated recently?

It's actually in the Errata (pg 14):

Growing Command

Replace description with: "After target fails to resist Irresistible Dance, Piper’s Lure, or Obey, cast one of the remaining spells on the same target. This trigger may only be used twice per activation. Obey can be cast a second time using this trigger."

Growing Command

Replace description with: "After target fails to resist Irresistible Dance, Piper’s Lure, or Obey, cast one of the remaining spells on the same target. This trigger may only be used twice per activation. Obey can be cast a second time using this trigger.":

I'm confused with this wording. If he can cast one of the REMAINING spells how can he cast obey again? Wouldn't remaining mean one of the spells not yet cast from the list of 3?

Hamelin casts obey on a model.

Then Hamelin casts Piper's Lure, his trigger is met then he can cast Obey again. I means that if you pull off the trigger you can't cast the same spell again, but you can cast one of the other two. The limit is that you can't cast Obey more than twice a turn via the trigger.