Scarecrows

Brochilles

(all) A Murder of Crows:....

Sorry I don't know how the area of effect works in this. Basically, I'm trying to say that it's an area counts as blocking line of sight and light cover, and any model that ends it's activation in this cloud (friendly or enemy) automatically takes a damage flip, to represent the crows going "Alfred Hitchcock" on them.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the idea of a scarecrow, but having one moving about seems wrong. They should just turn up when no-one is looking, so how about allowing the scarecrow to teleport anywhere it likes, provided no models (friendly or opponent) are within 8" of it before it moves?

The idea would be a model that provides buffs or debuffs by staying away from other models, but that can be shut down if the opponent decides to send something after it and gets close enough quickly enough. Once an enemy model gets too near it, the scarecrow can no longer move away and, while it is not defenceless, will be in serious trouble unless backup arrives. Alternatively, the scarecrow can teleport out of trouble to another lonely part of the table, but loses its ability to provide buffs/ debuffs by doing so.

Whatever effect the scarecrow has should grow Turn by Turn, provided the scarecrow has not moved, thus giving the opponent an incentive to get it and the player an incentive to protect it.

Sholto

• 2 weeks later...

I like the stationary unless no enemy can see it, giving it a (0) (CC:12) ability to move ~12", and then having something like

(1) Murder of Crows (CC:10-13, R: 8"); The scarecrow can place three :blast markers touching one another within range. Crows burst forth from the ground, blocking line of sight in and through. Additionally, any models touched by the :blast receive a (-Wp) until the End of Combat phase, and take damage with :-fate :-fate.

Then, give him two auras, both (1);

(1) A Fell Wind; (CC: 14/ Rst: Wp/Rg: :aura 8") A wicked wind cuts across the field, chilling those near the scarecrow to the bone. Make a single Cackle melee attack against each Non-Neverborn model in range. (or some such) with a :masks :masks boost for a :+fate or some such.

(1) Abandon Hope; (CC:12/Rst: Wp/Rg: :aura 8") The Scarecrow exudes an area of unholy quiet. Those near this monstrosity are wracked with nervousness and doubt. All enemy models within range receive a :-fate on all Wp duels unil the End of Combat Phase.

Some limp attacks;

Cackle

:melee:1

Cb: 4

Dmg 1/2/4

Coupled with Terrfying -> 12 I think he would wind up all right.

I like the stationary unless no enemy can see it, giving it a (0) (CC:12) ability to move ~12", and then having something like

(1) Murder of Crows (CC:10-13, R: 8"); The scarecrow can place three :blast markers touching one another within range. Crows burst forth from the ground, blocking line of sight in and through. Additionally, any models touched by the :blast receive a (-Wp) until the End of Combat phase, and take damage with :-fate :-fate.

Then, give him two auras, both (1);

(1) A Fell Wind; (CC: 14/ Rst: Wp/Rg: :aura 8") A wicked wind cuts across the field, chilling those near the scarecrow to the bone. Make a single Cackle melee attack against each Non-Neverborn model in range. (or some such) with a :masks :masks boost for a :+fate or some such.

(1) Abandon Hope; (CC:12/Rst: Wp/Rg: :aura 8") The Scarecrow exudes an area of unholy quiet. Those near this monstrosity are wracked with nervousness and doubt. All enemy models within range receive a :-fate on all Wp duels unil the End of Combat Phase.

Some limp attacks;

Cackle

:melee:1

Cb: 4

Dmg 1/2/4

Coupled with Terrfying -> 12 I think he would wind up all right.

Awesome i can see getting a cast 6:masks or 7:masks sound great with pandora

the stationary ability reminds me of the Weeping angels from doctor who

While I will continue to wait, hope, and pray that young master Nathan will one day conquer his intense Coulrophobia and give us the one mini that many are hoping for (that unnameable white-faced spectre of jocularity), I have decided that there is another mini, that, should it ever join the forces of the Neverborn, could sway me to gather 'bout myself a Neverborn army.

The mini is that lone watchman of the fields, that figure designed, built, and deployed for no other reason than to sow terror in the enemies of the agrarian, that cruciform individual whose uncanny features can inspire unease in the most dogged of men, the Scarecrow

So, who else thinks this would be an excellent addition to the Neverborn forces?

That would be awesome. I think it should have a trigger too, like:

"Boo!" That gives them some sort of debuff on Wp or maybe just in morale duels. Oooh! Oooh! One of its spells could be a debuff that removes immunity from morale duel from a single target until the end of the activation round.

(Isn't coulrophobia the irrational fear of ******? Okay, why is that censored!)

I'm still hoping for some faeries (Don't judge) I can totally see a Malifaux analog of "Le Belle Dame Sans Merci" in the Neverborn. Not in Book 2, but possibly later. Actually any variety of fae (Trolls, redcaps, selkies .etc) would make a nice addition to Zora's "Baba Yaga" army.

Edited by Aldyhide

I'm still hoping for some faeries (Don't judge) I can totally see a Malifaux analog of "Le Belle Dame Sans Merci" in the Neverborn. Not in Book 2, but possibly later. Actually any variety of fae (Trolls, redcaps, selkies .etc) would make a nice addition to Zora's "Baba Yaga" army.

I agree wholeheartly on the faerie idea, the whole brothers Grimm thing could be very interesting to see. at not only that twisting somthing that is normaly concindered good into something verry dark was a certain malifaux feel to it

Edited by Sliver Chocobo

I agree wholeheartly on the faerie idea, the whole brothers Grimm thing could be very interesting to see. at not only that twisting somthing that is normaly concindered good into something verry dark was a certain malifaux feel to it

Well, We already have the animate forest set in stone with the Waldgeist (I tried it yesterday and had a blast with uproot)

Also, Faeries could add some decent counter-magic to the Neverborn arsenal, something that they are severely lacking right now.

Well, We already have the animate forest set in stone with the Waldgeist (I tried it yesterday and had a blast with uproot)

Also, Faeries could add some decent counter-magic to the Neverborn arsenal, something that they are severely lacking right now.

I was thinking of illusionary forest or lure possible both and it it should have both harmless and flying. i like the idea of it having some counter-magic. make it mid base, possibly have the model have three or four faeries on it and it becomes verry interesting choice for zoraida

I was thinking of illusionary forest or lure possible both and it it should have both harmless and flying. i like the idea of it having some counter-magic. make it mid base, possibly have the model have three or four faeries on it and it becomes very interesting choice for zoraida

Actually, your timing is quite uncanny as I had just made a Will o' Wisp totem yesterday. Which has lure, harmless and flying. I'm not so sure about Illusionary forest, I'm a little dubious on the subject of giving a spell that belongs to a master to a regular minion.

I also thought of having a Naiad (Greek water nymphs, for those of you who aren't obsessed with folklore.) they would be more effective when near water, and it could create water terrain for itself, thus giving the silurids something to hang out with.

It would also have harmless. I was thinking of giving it a sort of damping aura as well; like anything trying to cast within 8" receives a - on their casting flip. I'm dubious on giving it anything else that is that effective. I was thinking of giving it a waterspout as a ranged attack for some low damage.

The actual Faeries I'm less able to come up with idea for. I do have an idea for a (1) spell. A Faerie ring, a counter that if a non-Neverborn steps on it prevents them from taking any move actions until either the activation round ends, or something pulls/pushes them out of it.

I was also thinking that the proposed Faerie swarm could have a "Carry off" trigger that allowed them to move a free 4-5" with their hapless victim in tow.

Edited by Aldyhide

Actually, your timing is quite uncanny as I had just made a Will o' Wisp totem yesterday. Which has lure, harmless and flying. I'm not so sure about Illusionary forest, I'm a little dubious on the subject of giving a spell that belongs to a master to a regular minion.

True but peraped if made it unique or high soulstone cost

I also thought of having a Naiad (Greek water nymphs, for those of you who aren't obsessed with folklore.) they would be more effective when near water, and it could create water terrain for itself, thus giving the silurids something to hang out with.

It is good idea, i was thinking more forest nymph than river/sea nymph. possiblity of an entre crew here

It would also have harmless. I was thinking of giving it a sort of damping aura as well; like anything trying to cast within 8" receives a - on their casting flip. I'm dubious on giving it anything else that is that effective. I was thinking of giving it a waterspout as a ranged attack for some low damage.

What about the (0) that the witchling stalkers have. no ranged attack, the faerie should be a control based model, so you run it forwards and then lure in a model into range to a mature/somthing big

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone- been reading this after, for reasons I can't quite fathom, AvatarForm pointed the thread out to me. *helpless shrug* It did get my creative juices flowing, though... so I decided to try coming up with my own idea for the model. Tell me what you think. :D [ame]

[/ame] Here's a great image for it. ;P

Scarecrow

Soulless, Construct, Totem (Neverborn)

Wk/Cg 0/0 Ht 2 WP 7 CA 6 (crow) DF 2 WD 4

Harvester

Rg /// 2

Cb 5

Dg 2/3/4

Angry Crows

Rg 8”

Cb 5 (crows)

Dg 1/1B/3BB

Companion (Dreamer)

Harmless

Hunter

Immune to Morale Checks

Magic Resistant 2

Terrifying

Made of Straw: Opposing (A) and magic attacks gain [+] against this unit.

Flock of Crows: When this model is hit by a melee or ranged attack, place 2 50mm bases adjacent to this model. These count as hindering terrain and block LOS. Remove them at the Start Closing Phase.

(Triggers)

Cb(crow, crow) Eat Your Fill/Padding the Nest: After damaging defender with an Angry Crows strike, if the target is killed by this attack, heal Scarecrow to full health.

Ca(crow, mask) Foul Wind: (A) 3. After moving this model with ‘But it was just there!’ enemy models receive -1 WP until the Start Closing Phase.

(Spells)

(0) But it was just there! (CC 15/Rst: -/Rg: 10”) Move this model to any point with LOS from this model within 10”.

(1) Magical Extension (CC: */Rst: */Rg: *) This spell may be cast only once per activation. Cast one of the connected Master’s (1) spells. During this casting, this model may use a Soulstone to change its starting total.

Edited by shawnreed343

Okay, I can see a Scarecrow totem to a master that has a kind of Evil Farmer feel. Thing is, farmer's aren't particularly mythic or nightmarish, so they don't jive well with the Neverborn theme.

Though, a Straw Man totem might go well with a Puppetmaster, er, master. Though, if that happens, you lose the images evoked by the name "Scarecrow". No, I think the Scarecrow would probably work best as a kind of standalone minion, like the Doppelganger and Hooded Rider.

I do however like the idea of him having resistance versus spells and triggers that have :crows in the cost. Make him a holy terror against Resurrectionists.

The farmers/villagers in many of the Van Helsing/Dracula stories are weird and creepy.

Also, to those who are hung up on the scarecrow being immobile, you clearly have not seen enough movies or Dr WHO... particularly the episodes concerning 'the Family'.