Looking for Malifaux entry level advice.

Q'iq'el

Hello,

I'm mostly Warhammer FB/40K player, but not a fanatic - it's more about painting miniatures with me than playing (mostly due to lack of regular evenings off). I live currently in Tokyo and Warhammer is about the only "western" miniature wargame I have easy access to, so it limits my choices as well.

And it was all fine, until I heard about Malifaux, first on D6 Generation, then 40K radio. :D First, I went out to check whatever I could find on the net and then... I must say that I've got both enchanted with the atmosphere of the game and in love with the miniatures.

The skirmish scale of the game suits me very well too, as I'll be mostly playing it with my wife and we simply don't have time to play anything bigger.

However, I could find no gaming store in Tokyo carrying Malifaux (if anyone knows of such a place, please tell) and I have no hand-on experience with the game.

I have no qualms about ordering it directly from US, but that means I'd rather ask the community for advice on what to order first. :) It's hard to make the decisions when I have no way to check the box contents or the rulebook, so please bear with me.

First of all, I'm planning to buy the Undertaker Lot and the Lilith Brood boxed sets, two decks of cards and the rulebook.

- Do I understand correctly this will be enough for two people to play?

- What is the complexity of the game based on the starter set? I'm mostly interested in how long does it take to master the game (is it easy to learn?), how long does it play once you master it and how quickly does one feel like getting more miniatures (if it is really quick progression, perhaps I should order more miniatures from the start?).

- Will the typical Warhammer FB terrain be fit for Malifaux games, or are the buildings/trees/fences etc. too small?

- Last but not least, do these two particular sets require buying more models to play the basic game? I've read for example, that one of Lilith powers is to "mature" her young broodlings into the big Nephlim demon. Does it mean I should have another one prepared and ready, as I'd for example prepare some extra skeletons or zombies for raising in Warhammer Fantasy? Are there other things like that, I should know about, before placing an order for these two boxes?

Secondly, I'd like to ask about the further development of our prospective teams (in case it makes sense to order extra minis immediately).

- Should we continue buying faction-specific miniatures until we have strong groups, or is it more fun to go for mercenaries?

I imagine buying more faction-specific figures leads to deeper experience, but I suspect that mercenaries would allow us to swap them in every game (and both out faction could use them, right?) and perhaps result in more variety. What is the popular take on this choice?

I'm sorry to burden you all with the questions I should be able to ask in a gaming store, but I have no other choice at the moment and I'd love to hear the opinion from Malifaux players.

Thanks in advance for helping me to squeeze in through the breach. :abduct:

Edited by Q'iq'el

You can indeed start with what you name. Each box is a playable force.

The game is eay to learn, but to master? That could take a bit of time. Once you get the hang of it, it flows well, and a game with starter crews should take less than an hour. If you're like most people you'll want to buy more models fairly soon. Your warhammer terrain should work ok.

You can play Lillith without extra nephilim, but they are good to have. A pack of young nephilim, and maybe an additional mature would be a great addition. Also, Nicodem the Undertaker has special rules with midless zombies, so they would be a good buy for you too.

As far as expansion goes, you can add mercs, but they cost more in soulstones, and there is a limit on how many you can include (two I think), so faction models might be a better way to go.

Welcome to Malifaux. I have tried to offer some advice in bold in your quote.

Hello,

I'm mostly Warhammer FB/40K player, but not a fanatic - it's more about painting miniatures with me than playing (mostly due to lack of regular evenings off). I live currently in Tokyo and Warhammer is about the only "western" miniature wargame I have easy access to, so it limits my choices as well.

And it was all fine, until I heard about Malifaux, first on D6 Generation, then 40K radio. :D First, I went out to check whatever I could find on the net and then... I must say that I've got both enchanted with the atmosphere of the game and in love with the miniatures.

The skirmish scale of the game suits me very well too, as I'll be mostly playing it with my wife and we simply don't have time to play anything bigger.

However, I could find no gaming store in Tokyo carrying Malifaux (if anyone knows of such a place, please tell) and I have no hand-on experience with the game.

I have no qualms about ordering it directly from US, but that means I'd rather ask the community for advice on what to order first. :) It's hard to make the decisions when I have no way to check the box contents or the rulebook, so please bear with me.

First of all, I'm planning to buy the Undertaker Lot and the Lilith Brood boxed sets, two decks of cards and the rulebook.

- Do I understand correctly this will be enough for two people to play?

This is enough to start playing starter level games.

- What is the complexity of the game based on the starter set? I'm mostly interested in how long does it take to master the game (is it easy to learn?), how long does it play once you master it and how quickly does one feel like getting more miniatures (if it is really quick progression, perhaps I should order more miniatures from the start?).

IMO the game is fairly simple once you understand the basic gameplay and the dueling aspect of the game. Learning your crew is the largest part. Each crew works together and you need to learn all their abilities. I feel it is a fairly quick progression though.

- Will the typical Warhammer FB terrain be fit for Malifaux games, or are the buildings/trees/fences etc. too small?

Typical WH terrain is fine. We use lots of it. Malifaux uses area terrain and terrain elements. A tree is a tree, a post is a post. So you might want some individual pieces. You might need some smaller pieces for area terrain - 3x3, 4x4.

- Last but not least, do these two particular sets require buying more models to play the basic game? I've read for example, that one of Lilith powers is to "mature" her young broodlings into the big Nephlim demon. Does it mean I should have another one prepared and ready, as I'd for example prepare some extra skeletons or zombies for raising in Warhammer Fantasy? Are there other things like that, I should know about, before placing an order for these two boxes?

The Lilith box could certainly use some upgrades. Another Mature and two Young Nephilim should set you for a while. The Undertaker also could use some extras, the raise the dead - Nicodem in particular can raise Mindless Zombies.

Secondly, I'd like to ask about the further development of our prospective teams (in case it makes sense to order extra minis immediately).

No info yet.

- Should we continue buying faction-specific miniatures until we have strong groups, or is it more fun to go for mercenaries?

I imagine buying more faction-specific figures leads to deeper experience, but I suspect that mercenaries would allow us to swap them in every game (and both out faction could use them, right?) and perhaps result in more variety. What is the popular take on this choice?

Since the game is not expensive in itself and your hoping to maximize an order for the shipping, I would suggest you buy two starter boxes for each faction. Lilith and Pandora. Nicodem and Seamus. That would keep you going for some time. Any faction can use Mercs, however in a normal average game, each crew is only allowed to take two Mercs.

I'm sorry to burden you all with the questions I should be able to ask in a gaming store, but I have no other choice at the moment and I'd love to hear the opinion from Malifaux players.

No need to apologize. Your situation certainly warrents some help.

Thanks in advance for helping me to squeeze in through the breach. :abduct:

dgraz did a good job answering your questions...

just as a warning though, you may want to be careful when buying minis...

ive become quite addicted to adding to my legion of sorrow, to the point where im considering NOT starting another small crew, at the risk that it will rapidly turn into another big crew (and thus a small wallet)

but 2 boxes, decks, rules, and maybe a few blisters to compliment your starter crews should be more than enough to keep you occupied with Mfx for a long time...

have fun playing

• 3 weeks later...
Just logging in to say the minis have arrived yesterday in perfect condition. About 7 days from US to Japan.

I've heard the sculpts are very good, but in person they are simply stunning. I'm very happy with my choice and thanks for the advice!

:notworthy

And, sincerely, drop questions you have about the game on these forums. We all really want to help the beginners get a grasp on things to make it as easy as possible to enjoy the games, and there is a learning curve with the cards (it's never been done before that we know of!)

And, sincerely, drop questions you have about the game on these forums. We all really want to help the beginners get a grasp on things to make it as easy as possible to enjoy the games, and there is a learning curve with the cards (it's never been done before that we know of!)

Thank you very much for warm welcome!

As for the cards mechanics, I actually find it very intuitive and easy to use.

Granted, we are all used to dice and tables, but the truth is with every dice rolling system you must remember several things at once:

- how many dice to roll and what number to "meet" with them.

- what the results mean on the table hidden somewhere deep within the handbook.

- finally, what formula rules the interaction between stats/tables and dice. (i.e. there is a formula which determines how high you need to roll to wound in WH for given S vs. given T.)

The new players end up checking the handbook each time they roll, until they grasp the formula and memorise all the stats, so that they can play without checking them all the time. That is a big turn off for people who play casually.

Comparing to that, to simply draw a card and add the result to the stat is such a straightforward way to play I'm astonished nobody thought of it before. Granted, there is a sequence to memorize (with cheating fate, soulstone intervention and possible triggers), but it is almost identical in all applications, so it seems easy to master.

In other words I find the system very attractive and inviting. :)

However, it will take a week or two before I can start playing, so all the practical questions have to wait till I try the game out in practice.

My wife simply refuses to play unpainted minis and I on the other hand want to make proper counters for all the spells and such. To even start the preparations, I need to head to a nearby Doll store to buy some Vallejo paints! Yes, in this country girls are bigger geeks than guys - only doll crafting stores carry Vallejo! :D

Edited by Q'iq'el

• 2 weeks later...