Army Builder Files for Malifaux

Navar

This isn't exactly a game that benefits much from any list builders. Because the scenarios are randomized and you never know what you are facing, building a list at home might not be the best option. You are supposed to make your list as pretty much the last thing before you start playing. And counting mostly single digit numbers shouldn't be that much of a chore.

http://www.engineeringcalculator.net/CrewBuilder.html This on works though if you want to make some lists just to get the general idea what you can fit in your lists.

As Joona said, you REALLY don't need any sort of list-builder program for a game like this. Writing a list for a game is a ridiculously simple process - Pick the models you want until their combined SS cost adds up to whatever sized game you're playing.

The link Joona gave is great for randomly working out crews you've yet to buy models for. For example, I've been using it to plan prospective crews I'm thinking of getting, such as Zoraida without Bad Juju, McMourning, or a "Pandy the Babysitter" list. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree. I think there is a lot of usefulness in prepping different lists before hand. And even if you do it at the last minute it's a heck of a lot easier to have your laptop with you and be able to throw together different builds. I'm not sure what would be needed to make an Army Builder module for Malifaux but I'm going to try and find out.

And I'm putting together an Excel file that lists all model's stats, and has separate sheets with quick descriptions of all weapons, talents and spells (As well as who can use them).

I don't think that this would be something allowed by Wyrd to be released for download anywhere. We've had this discussion before and I'm pretty sure that releasing the rules/stats in any way shape or form other than the book was a big no-no... It's understandable, if the stuff is easily downloaded then the company doesn't sell books...

Seeing how small the size of the lists is and how all the rules and stats are written for the game card format, perhaps an iPhone/Droid/Mobile Windows App format would be the most convenient for it?

An opportunity for Wyrd too, as I see it - an App not only to create and store your own and your opponents' lists, but also to reference all the spells, abilities, triggers etc., so that one can immediately check the references when planning for the game on the go.

I'm always fascinated when I see threads like this. I guess I'm just old-fashioned, but the cards that come with the miniature pretty much cover all the bases. Adding to reach 30 isn't that tough.

Army Builder is a great tool for games that require complex list building, like 40k. However, Malifaux doesn't have that much complexity in it's list building aspect. There are some ideal lists, but most of those have already been figured out for you...they're called Starter Boxes.

I guess if you've spent money on Army Builder, then you might want to see all of the games you play represented in that program, but I really can't see where it would be needed for any other reason. It no diffferent than the iPhone app idea. Sure, it would be great to have an app that gives you a card on your phone...because you spent a fortune on your phone. I don't think it would enhance the game of Malifaux much though.

It no diffferent than the iPhone app idea. Sure, it would be great to have an app that gives you a card on your phone...because you spent a fortune on your phone. I don't think it would enhance the game of Malifaux much though.

Oh, the mobile App idea is not about enhancing the game itself. It's rather an idea for the on-the-go database that allows you to casually check out ideas and perhaps store or even share some lists you may suddenly come up with, while you don't have the cards, the minis and the handbook with you. Just like everything mobile, it's about cool factor, convenience and geekiness, but never necessity.

Of course the IP contents would be the point of it, that's why I suggested it as a product idea Wyrd could look into, rather than fan-build army list software.

I agree. I would certainly buy an iPhone based Malifaux app if it included a basic crew builder and hopefully the stat cards. Especially since the iPad is coming out right around the corner. I'd love to be able to keep everything Malifaux related on my iPad instead of carrying a bunch of pieces of paper.

How about using ArmyCalc? I just found out about it today.

It could be a good alternative to Army Builder

And it's free :D

Now we just need someone to create a Malifaux ruleset for ArmyCalc.

Ohhh. Never heard of it, but free is always good. If it's user modifable then we should be able to put something together.

If someone is going to add the actual stats for miniatures in any software, at least do the courtesy of asking Nathan for permission. I don't know if he has anything against this but generally it's not nice to give away the full statistics for all the miniatures in any game for free. Of course the cards come with miniatures but this would also make playing without the real miniatures/cards/rulebook that much easier. At least Privateer Press and Games Workshop aren't exactly loving the way Army Builder has been supplying their files.

I have TableTop Commander for WarmaHordes (shame I don't play it xD), I think it's great, has collection function too. Also you can print out an army sheet that has all the usual info (points, links, ranks) plus wound markers for all the models, but not the 'restricted' data such as abilities and weapons. Imho that's the best solution for every one. We have all we need on one sheet and don't need to mess up the cards for wounds and the company's rights weren't violated either.

Would love to see Malifaux files for it too...

I might get around to making something for Android if I can find the time. iPhone is a whole lot less likely despite the large install base because (from what I know) it requires you to develop on a Mac, which I don't have.

I agree with the not providing details that would compromise Wyrds products. The issue is finding that line where it's not really hurting but is still providing a lot of information to the user.