Removing Paint?

GunslingerPanda

The safest way to remove paint from metal/plastic minis is simple green. Dump them into a full strength bath of S/G for about 24-48 hrs, depending on the type of paint and sealant originally used.

Faster, but worse for your skin (wear gloves) is Pine Sol. This WILL dissolve both plastic and super glue if they are left in too long (start with 5 MINUTES).

In general, most people consider plastic minis to be '1 shot' - ie; they don't strip too well. I tend to agree. If the original paint layer isn't too thick you might well consider simply lighly re-priming over the original paint.

Some people like Brake Cleaners, Acetone, or Oven Cleaner for stripping paint, but all of these are a crap-ton more toxic than either of the first two choices.

Edited by artificer

There is also a product called Purple Power, which can be found in the automotive section of Wal Mart. You can actually leave plastics in this solution in a sealed container for days or months, depending on the paint that was used on the model. It is actually safer than simple green, which if left in too long will start to soften the plastic, particularly the bases.

When I use Purple Power, I just drop the whole thing in, base and all, and forget about it for about 3-4 days. Then scrub 'em with an old toothbrush under running cold water, and usually they are done. I have bought some minis that people have painted them with who knows what, and they may take a very long time, but just check on 'em about once a week, scrubbing them every time to remove layers.

old time painter, I suggest using Brake fluid,as it acts faster on acrylic. Pay attention though,as it usually only takes about 30 min. to melt paint. I`ve never had it melt plastic. Otherwise, an industrial strength citrus cleaner will do just fine. I`ve found green and purple takes to long for my tastes. they do work if you have the time and patience.

I've used Simple Green on second hand plastic models I bought with caked up glue and paint. I probably should have asked how old the first owner was before I bought it. Anyway, I left the figures in a diluted simple green mix for 48 hours and then scrbbed them with an old toothbrush in the simple green and rinsing in between. The paint peeled off nicely but the primer was difficult and no damage to the plastics. Some parts came off, I am guess due to the simple green. And this all was with a DILUTED simple green mix.