Gen Con Events List & Info

AoM

Well, there has been some chatter about this here and there, but we realized last night that this hasn't been posted anywhere formally yet. There will be demos in the booth all day while the dealers' hall is open, and there will be 3 after-hours events. These are all free events. The table space is being provided by Table Top Gamers in Room 201. (This is the same room where all of their other events will be.) The times are so late because we had to work around existing events, sorry.

Thursday, August 13

Malifaux Demos and Open Gaming

9pm - 12am

If you didn't get to try the game out in the booth, we've got some extra demo time going on here. We'll have crews available, but bringing your own is welcomed and encouraged. This is also a great opportunity to get in some starter set games with the models you purchased earlier in the day. There will be a few Henchmen around to help you out and show you around Malifaux. Playtester & Henchmen grudge matches might be going on as well, so you might even learn some dirty tricks before the tournament.

Friday, August 14

Malifaux: Play with the Designers

8pm - 11pm

Eric, Dan, and Ambrose will be on hand to give you some insight into what went into creating Malifaux. Learn about the history of some of the models. Get the story of how things evolved from what was shown at least year's Gen Con into what we've got now. Nick might be around with fun bits of back story that didn't make it into the book. Who knows what might happen? Eric, Dan, and Ambrose will also be showing off their favorite crews as they take on all comers. There might even be some goodies for anyone who can beat all three of them.* Maybe the infamous Decap (10) will show up, too.

Saturday, August 15

1st Annual Malifaux Gen Con Tournament

9pm - 12am

This will be a 25 Soulstone Scrap tournament that is perfect for the starter sets. We're looking to have 3 timed rounds for this one (it might run a little later if it has to). Nathan has said that there will be some prizes up for grabs here, but I don't know anything more than that right now. Knowing Wyrd though, they're sure to take care of whoever wins. This might be the first tournament at a Gen Con, but it's not going to be the last if we've got anything to say about it.

PROXY RULES PENDING

If you're looking for something to do at night that isn't sleeping, bring your crew and flip some cards. Your fate is in your hands.

*goodies are not certain right now.

Edited by AoM

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can definitely be available for the friday night games. I even have a couple small crews of my own that I'd love to play. I haven't played any games of this since the alpha phase, so I'd be learning along with you.

Anyone that wants to harangue me about the stories is more than welcome. Don't hold it against me if I keep some of Malifaux's mysteries secret, though.

All these late night events... seriously cuts into my drinking time. Unless there will be some Malifaux players boozing after wards.... What I'm trying to say here is we should schedule some drinking for some nights, whether official or not.

Otherwise what's the rules for these scrap games? I mean, there's no box for him but say if I was to bring Leveticus and some proxies along who would object... :P

All these late night events... seriously cuts into my drinking time. Unless there will be some Malifaux players boozing after wards.... What I'm trying to say here is we should schedule some drinking for some nights, whether official or not.

I am sure that more than a few of us would be up for a drink at The Ram afterwards...

I've never been known to have alcohol with me when I was playing Warmachine at 12:30 in the morning at Gen Con. Nope, not me. No sir. :whistle:

I'm sure there's going to be some drinking. In fact, I've already got a few people who have claimed time to partake of fine spirits with me on Wednesday night. :vb_cheers: :friday:

August 14th is my birthday. So I will win all my games by default. (Of course I will win all my games ANYWAY! but I figured I would throw that out there.)

Thanks for posting this AoM. Looks like it's going to be a great time!

Heh. The 15th is MY birthday...so I win the tourny be default (I'm gonna be SO hammered - stupid decade roll-over).

Aaron

AoM and I will discuss and get back with you.

There are a few models that need certain things released before they are viable.

It may be that you are just out of luck.

The painting thing will always be optional. However you will take a hit in standings if you don't have a FULLY painted force.

We are still discussing how much of an impact that painting will have. The idea is to reward Playskill with a nod to painting.

NEWS BULLETIN!!!

This just in from Eric. There will be a prize for the best painted crew in the tournament. Painting won't be required, and it will probably not affect your standing, but it is encouraged, and you stand a chance to win some more loot.

As for Nicodem, he does just fine with Punk Zombies and Flesh Constucts. In fact, he does more than fine.

Ok, so there is a tourney, but what of the rules. Is this only for folks who have play tested?

I picked up some starters at Origins and it looks like I'll have time to play in this tourney, learn the game in competitive format and meet some new people.

So what's up with this?

Ok, so there is a tourney, but what of the rules. Is this only for folks who have play tested?

I don't know about you, Magno, but I'll be picking up the rules as soon as the floor opens, which ought to give me the better part of three days to master its intricacies. Add in a couple demos and maybe a game against someone who's a "somebody", and I figure I'll have as good a knowledge as the average player at least! :D

We'll get an official announcement out about this here in the next day or so, but yes, we'll give out prizes for the best painted crew that shows up.

For the tournament, its open to any and all. Primarily it started as a grudge match between playtesters but the idea is to let folks get in on the fun as well and hop into the matches as well. Getting some demos, after hours play and reading up on the book will get you in good obviously, but there will be folks on hand to explain or clarify the rules and any other situations that may arise.

There definitely should be time for anyone to pick up the book, get a demo or two, play a few games in time for the Tournament. The tournament itself is mainly going to be for people new to the game, and as such is mainly for fun and the right to claim you won the first ever Malifaux tournament. There will be prizes for sure as well!

We are still discussing how much of an impact that painting will have. The idea is to reward Playskill with a nod to painting.

Honestly I think you should have a separate painting contest with the tourney. I don't feel that an excellent player should suffer because hes not a good painter. Just like I don't think an amazing painter should feel they need to also win games to win a prize. Just seems more fair to keep them separated.

As far as poor Nico goes. He can play without the mindless undead but they really are his thing. Without them he is really vulnerable to attack if someone gets close. But I understand the reasons for no proxies. Maybe I'll just bust out Marcus or Lady Justice for the tourney instead.

We'll run some all over the world I'm fairly certain, and yes, the UK is included in that. We haven't the specifics hammered out as of yet, and have had some contact with folks on that, but again, nothing hammered out. When we're ready to move forward with that we'll certainly announce it and look for folks to join our Henchman (or Henchchick) program.

Will you be attending GenCon here in Australia in September at all FF it`s being held in Queensland ?, i only noticed it by accident whilst looking at an aussie retailer site today and apparently last years was quite a success something like 10k + people for the 3 days and it was the first one held here .

Will you be attending GenCon here in Australia in September at all FF it`s being held in Queensland ?, i only noticed it by accident whilst looking at an aussie retailer site today and apparently last years was quite a success something like 10k + people for the 3 days and it was the first one held here .

Would absolutely love to, but its not in the cards this year unfortunately. We are keeping our eyes on it though as this is supposed to be its second year I believe and as long as it doesn't go the way of Gencon SoCal and things pan out as well as we hope and expect, then that is certainly on our list of places to visit next year (doesn't hurt that there are friends and family over there as well).