WIP of Ortega Dude

ScottRadom

I was thinking, with the exception of one NOT winning Iron Painter entry I have never posted a mini here. I thought I'd put this one up and open it up to the shooting gallery. I would normally call this one done, but I am happy to take on board any hints and tips or crits given. I welcome all crits, and no matter how fiddly or harsh sounding you're doing me a favor by pointing stuff out. Please and thank you. Now I would just paint up the base ring and add a silfor tuft before coating this puppy with dullcote, anything else I should consider?

DKOK004.jpg

DKOK006.jpg

Thanks for looking hombres!

Looks pretty damn good Scott. Love the colors in the coat and hat. Only thing I might do is shade that sword sticking out the bottom a bit more maybe. I threw some color in there on mine, It just looks similair to the metal chain right next to it. Maybe a freehand design to match the hat or something? IDK...You asked for the nitpick ;) how's the rest of the crew doing? Go Guild!

Always fun to see a Wyrd mini painted up, thanks.

Good choice of coloring, goes right along with him nicely I feel. One thing I don't see much of these days is the use of metallic paint but like to see it here. Maybe do some washes on it to bring out the recesses around the barrel and the blade to darken things up a bit and then go back and highlight the edge in order to simulate it being a sharp bugger? Dunno, just thinking out loud really.

Base, painting that black around the edge or going with another color? Personal opinion, love them black, but been seeing more and more folks paint them up brown, black and even some orange'ish color lately.

Thanks for the comments guys! I'll go back and work the metal lower in the recesses. Good ole Badab Black!

I paint the ring on all my bases a dark brown. And I mean dark, like fall of Berlin '45 style dark with some VMS SS-Cam Black Brown! The color so dark, Himmler called it his "very favorite brown, a true indicator of my life and times."

Thanks again. And yes, I TOTALLY ripped off Pete's avatar for the hat idea.

Very nice work. I love the back of the brown coat and his face is wonderfully shaded with pink/purple. I agree with FF about the metal, could probably do with some shading. My personal comment would be on the right leg of the trousers. It may be the angle of the photo not letting me see a crease that's there, and if so ignore it, but it stands out as a little strange because you've got the highlights at the sides of the leg and the darker colour on the top, but normally I would expect it to be the other way round. Can't wait to see the rest now!